ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I do remember reading something about the Yanks being upset with Aceves' desire to return from his injury (or the pace of his recovery), and that is why they did not bring him back.'

My recollection is that they didn't want to give him a major league contract because they thought it would take too long to recover from his back injury.

But, of course, if Bill wants to show us all the well-documented issues that Aceves had with the NYY, that I never saw, even though I come from NY, then go ahead Bill.

And if he doesn't, I will continue to accuse him of lying.

Somehow, I do not think we will ever see those documents.

Bill, are you going to let Moonslav insult you like that?  Claiming that you don't have the documents?

i WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD ON THIS ONE.....  Time will take care of this....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bill, are you going to let Moonslav insult you like that?  Claiming that you don't have the documents?

Translation: "I have no documentation, because there is none."

Back up your claim, BILL. We are waiting....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Aceves hurt his back pitiching against the Sox, it turned out to be a herniated disc. I believe he was out from May till the end of the season. Then during the off season he broke his clavicle in a fall from a bicycle, NY non-tendered him pretty quickly after that. I have to believe Cashman was not happy that this guy broke his collarbone while recovering from a herniated disc in his back. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I do remember reading something about the Yanks being upset with Aceves' desire to return from his injury (or the pace of his recovery), and that is why they did not bring him back.'

My recollection is that they didn't want to give him a major league contract because they thought it would take too long to recover from his back injury.

But, of course, if Bill wants to show us all the well-documented issues that Aceves had with the NYY, that I never saw, even though I come from NY, then go ahead Bill.

And if he doesn't, I will continue to accuse him of lying.

The "high road" would be actually backing up what you say, with some facts, for a change.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is not a courtroom , where we need to produce evidence. If you watched Aceves over the last couple of years , it is pretty apparent that there is something not quite right with him. The fact that he is a very good pitcher does not change that.  I don't know about his behavior in New York , but the Yankees did not seem to mind his leaving , despite some excellent pitching performances. It can be very difficult to deal with a person like that.  Let's just hope that things go smoothly and no one gets hurt. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is not a courtroom , where we need to produce evidence. If you watched Aceves over the last couple of years , it is pretty apparent that there is something not quite right with him. The fact that he is a very good pitcher does not change that.  I don't know about his behavior in New York , but the Yankees did not seem to mind his leaving , despite some excellent pitching performances. It can be very difficult to deal with a person like that.  Let's just hope that things go smoothly and no one gets hurt. 

+1 

even when you have evidence,  it doesnt matter for some on this board...case in point Sept 2011...or Beckett in Florida...kind of nice scam isnt it? Demand evidence when it suits you -ignore it when you dont like the facts...who needs evidence that Aceves is about as mature as the avg 14 yr old boy?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

+1 

even when you have evidence,  it doesnt matter for some on this board...case in point Sept 2011...or Beckett in Florida...kind of nice scam isnt it? Demand evidence when it suits you -ignore it when you dont like the facts...who needs evidence that Aceves is about as mature as the avg 14 yr old boy?

No, but when some one goes out of their way to say "it is well documented", and they are asked to provide the documentation, one should expect something that looks like evidence.

BTW, I never ignored your "Beckett in Florida" evidence, however you did ignore the rest of his "body of work".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

+1 

Thanks Gerome & DGHOUSE........  It's funny, the lib/left/rad/soc/moonbats are calling on me to provide DOCUMENTATION ???   I say for what ???  Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  Quite frankly, I thought that MOON was smarter than that !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If everyone on the Pen stays healthy this spring, the one thing that is well documented is that the Sox will have some tough decisions to make the end of March.....nd when push comes to shove, I am predicting it will be Aceves who will be the odd man out(hopefully via trade, not DFA). The Sox have tried really hard this off season to fill the clubhouse with team first guys, so Aceves history will hurt him in that regard....secondly, unless he wins a starters role, he doesnt have a good role on the team, he is not going to close or pitch in the 8th, and the long relief/starter role can be filled by Morales or Tazawa....doesnt seem like he is worth the possible headache, and if he has a good spring, his market would be pretty good, for possibly a decent prospect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

+1 

Thanks Gerome & DGHOUSE........  It's funny, the lib/left/rad/soc/moonbats are calling on me to provide DOCUMENTATION ???   I say for what ???  Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  Quite frankly, I thought that MOON was smarter than that !!

Because you say there's plenty of documentation, that's "for what".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  

Make it simple- just provide 3 documentations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If you watched the games last year , there were several instances of bizarre behavior by Alfredo.  I'll say this : Before people snap , they often give fair warning to society that something is wrong. One not need  be a doctor to see that something is wrong here. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Translation: "I have no documentation, because there is none."

Back up your claim, BILL. We are waiting....

I have just tangentially been following this discussion. There is some documentation about Aceves being a bit strange, aside from lobbing pitches into Salty during batting practice after being told that it was supposed to be REAL bp. Last August he had a temper tantrum that got him suspended for a while. While having a temper tantrum alone is not enough to label this guy as a nut case, it is pretty well known that he is a different sort of guy.

Boston Red Sox - TeamReport Reuters | August 30, 2012 MLB Team Report - Boston Red Sox - INSIDE PITCH Four nights after throwing a temper tantrum that resulted in a suspension, embattled Red Sox closer Alfredo Aceves imploded on the mound. Having been reinstated to the roster, and with Andrew Bailey unavailable to pitch the ninth inning, Aceves was asked to get a six-out save in a one-run game Tuesday night against the Los Angeles Angels. He breezed through the eighth inning, then gave up two runs in the ninth en route to a 6-5 loss in the...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

And this is from NESN yesterday:

Aceves, who clashed with former Sox manager Bobby Valentine last season, has a reputation of being someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer. His demeanor is rather unusual, as are his actions, and he has found himself in hot water with the team on a few separate occasions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

his beef with Pedroia?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

And this from Rant Sports:

Aceves is no stranger to controversy. He butted heads with former manager Bobby Valentine several times during the 2012 season. From blasting the manager in the media, to throwing temper tantrums in the dugout, to completely ignoring Valentine during his visits to the mound, Aceves repeatedly made headlines last season for all the wrong reasons

Yes, Valentine was not helping the situation, but the fact of the matter is that Aceves is a strange man by most accounts. He is talented to be sure, but his antics earned him a very welcome public rebuke from the new manager. Glad to see that Farrell is not going to protect his players in the same dysfunctional manner Francona did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I've also been following this discussion a little...I just read back to page 3 and it looks like Joe B's original request for "documentation" stipulated it was for issues "prior to Valentine." I think we're all aware of what went on with Aceves in Aug/Sept of last year, but I don't recall there being any problems in 2011 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't speak to what went on when he was with the NYY, but at least one Yankee fan here has already said letting him go was a big mistake by Cashman and there were no complaints other than that he was somewhat injury prone.

Anyway, I like Aceves. A little crazy isn't always the worst thing if it's channelled the right way...the '04 team was full of odd characters and goofballs. I hope he stays. If he can behave and get back to his pre-2012 form, it would be huge for the pitching staff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben met with aceves agent today to read him the riot act...the article i read says aceves was INTENTIONALLY testing JF...hence the meeting today to deal with it...enough "documentation" for you Moon?

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2013/02/report_boston_red_sox_think_al.html#incart_river

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I've also been following this discussion a little...just read back to page 3 and it looks like Joe B's original request for "documentation" stipulated it was for issues "prior to Valentine." I think we're all aware of what went on with Aceves in Aug/Sept of last year, but I don't recall there being any problems in 2011 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't speak to what went on when he was with the NYY, but at least one Yankee fan here has already said letting him go was a big mistake by Cashman and there were no complaints other than that he was somewhat injury prone.

Anyway, I like Aceves. A little crazy isn't always the worst thing if it's channelled the right way...the '04 team was full of odd characters and goofballs. I hope he stays. If he can behave and get back to his pre-2012 form, it would be huge for the pitching staff.

I was not trying to fulfull Joe B's criteria. Just pointing out that its IS well known that Aceves is a little strange. Apparently Rivera made some comments to that effect when he was with the Yankees. Multiple media sources have written about the fact that Aceves seems to be a bit odd, and having read and seen some of his antics, I am inclined to agree that is true. Like you, I don't mind crazy-if he is a team player and pitches well. If he is crazy and divisive, he should be jettisoned.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  

Make it simple- just provide 3 documentations.

MOON, let me direct you to the above post by DGHOUSE......  Then ask, did you not watch the circus/Aceves last year ????  Enough DOCUMENTATION  for you !!!!   I wouldn'y be crazy about him (ACEVES) As a teammate for 6 months, and I sure would not want him as a shipmate on a DESTROYER  !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've also been following this discussion a little...just read back to page 3 and it looks like Joe B's original request for "documentation" stipulated it was for issues "prior to Valentine." I think we're all aware of what went on with Aceves in Aug/Sept of last year, but I don't recall there being any problems in 2011 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't speak to what went on when he was with the NYY, but at least one Yankee fan here has already said letting him go was a big mistake by Cashman and there were no complaints other than that he was somewhat injury prone.

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

ben met with aceves agent today to read him the riot act...the article i read says aceves was INTENTIONALLY testing JF...hence the meeting today to deal with it...enough "documentation" for you Moon?

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2013/02/report_boston_red_sox_think_al.html#incart_river

Its pretty naive to attempt to portray Aceves as a "normal" baseball player in the mould of Pedroia or Buchholtz or Ellsbury-guys that just go out and try to do their jobs without excessive aberrant behavior. Aceves IS strange. I don't think that can really be debated any more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

Which other Red Sox players behaved so oddly with Valentine that they had to be suspended last year? The other guys, for the most part, handled a bad situation well. Aceves got off on the wrong foot already with Farrell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Which other Red Sox players behaved so oddly with Valentine that they had to be suspended last year? The other guys, for the most part, handled a bad situation well. Aceves got off on the wrong foot already with Farrell.

I wouldn't call what happened "getting off on the wrong foot". It was a minor thing blown up by a frenzied media and a couple of yahoo posters.

Aceves did get suspended last year, but we are still waiting for the "long list" and documentations.

BTW, we traded away some malcontents and "problem childs" last summer. Is that better or worse than a suspension?

Sections
Shortcuts