ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I've also been following this discussion a little...just read back to page 3 and it looks like Joe B's original request for "documentation" stipulated it was for issues "prior to Valentine." I think we're all aware of what went on with Aceves in Aug/Sept of last year, but I don't recall there being any problems in 2011 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't speak to what went on when he was with the NYY, but at least one Yankee fan here has already said letting him go was a big mistake by Cashman and there were no complaints other than that he was somewhat injury prone.

Anyway, I like Aceves. A little crazy isn't always the worst thing if it's channelled the right way...the '04 team was full of odd characters and goofballs. I hope he stays. If he can behave and get back to his pre-2012 form, it would be huge for the pitching staff.

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben met with aceves agent today to read him the riot act...the article i read says aceves was INTENTIONALLY testing JF...hence the meeting today to deal with it...enough "documentation" for you Moon?

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2013/02/report_boston_red_sox_think_al.html#incart_river

Its pretty naive to attempt to portray Aceves as a "normal" baseball player in the mould of Pedroia or Buchholtz or Ellsbury-guys that just go out and try to do their jobs without excessive aberrant behavior. Aceves IS strange. I don't think that can really be debated any more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I've also been following this discussion a little...just read back to page 3 and it looks like Joe B's original request for "documentation" stipulated it was for issues "prior to Valentine." I think we're all aware of what went on with Aceves in Aug/Sept of last year, but I don't recall there being any problems in 2011 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't speak to what went on when he was with the NYY, but at least one Yankee fan here has already said letting him go was a big mistake by Cashman and there were no complaints other than that he was somewhat injury prone.

Anyway, I like Aceves. A little crazy isn't always the worst thing if it's channelled the right way...the '04 team was full of odd characters and goofballs. I hope he stays. If he can behave and get back to his pre-2012 form, it would be huge for the pitching staff.

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

Which other Red Sox players behaved so oddly with Valentine that they had to be suspended last year? The other guys, for the most part, handled a bad situation well. Aceves got off on the wrong foot already with Farrell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Which other Red Sox players behaved so oddly with Valentine that they had to be suspended last year? The other guys, for the most part, handled a bad situation well. Aceves got off on the wrong foot already with Farrell.

I wouldn't call what happened "getting off on the wrong foot". It was a minor thing blown up by a frenzied media and a couple of yahoo posters.

Aceves did get suspended last year, but we are still waiting for the "long list" and documentations.

BTW, we traded away some malcontents and "problem childs" last summer. Is that better or worse than a suspension?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Difference being, pumpsie, Valentine backed down. Farrell will not. He's no nonsense and already addressed it with Aceves and the media.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Youkilis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Difference being, pumpsie, Valentine backed down. Farrell will not. He's no nonsense and already addressed it with Aceves and the media.

And that is good to see. My point is that its well known that Aceves marches to the beat of a different drummer, for better or worse. Thats a pretty well established fact. As long as he performs and is not divisive I really don't care how he behaves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Impossible to know what Aceves was thinking going into ST...the bit today about him "testing" Farrell seems fairly lame.  "Testing" Valentine got him in a boatload of trouble last year - feelings about Valentine aside - all it did was give Aceves a bad rep..and now testing Farrell?  Why deliberately invite trouble so early?  If he is pouting over not being a starter, he can't really believe these antics are helping.  He acts like a player begging to be traded in my opinion.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how effective Farrell is at getting through to Aceves.  You'd think with all of our veteran players, someone could reach this guy and we could get a better look at his talent without all this drama.  Maybe FO should add a psych doc to the medical staff.  Couldn't hurt. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Youkilis.

Youkilis did not get suspended because he is a nutcase. He got suspended because he was involved in a brawl with Porcello. I have no problems with defending yourself in his situation.

Boston star Kevin Youkilis and Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello were suspended for five games each Wednesday and fined by Major League Baseball, a day after their brawl at Fenway Park.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Youkilis.

Youkilis did not get suspended because he is a nutcase. He got suspended because he was involved in a brawl with Porcello. I have no problems with defending yourself in his situation.

Boston star Kevin Youkilis and Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello were suspended for five games each Wednesday and fined by Major League Baseball, a day after their brawl at Fenway Park.

I wasn't referring to suspension due to this brawl.  I was referring to Kevin's bristling at Valentine's treatment of him that helped pave the way for his jettisoning.  His behavior toward Valentine, though no-doubt warranted, greased the wheels for his departure.  No doubt it had to due with his health vis-a-vis Middlebrook's assent, but I wonder how things would have gone down if he hadn't chafed at Valentine's poor treatment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Youkilis.

I wasn't referring to suspension due to this brawl.  I was referring to Kevin's bristling at Valentine's treatment of him that helped pave the way for his jettisoning.  His behavior toward Valentine, though no-doubt warranted, greased the wheels for his departure.  No doubt it had to due with his health vis-a-vis Middlebrook's assent, but I wonder how things would have gone down if he hadn't chafed at Valentine's poor treatment.

The question I asked was "Who besides Aceves got suspended last year?". Valentine irritated many of the players, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ortiz etc. Thats a fact. But to my recollection, only Aceves lost total control to the point he had to be suspended. You gotta keep control of yourself in your workplace if you are a professional.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Youkilis.

The question I asked was "Who besides Aceves got suspended last year?". Valentine irritated many of the players, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ortiz etc. Thats a fact. But to my recollection, only Aceves lost total control to the point he had to be suspended. You gotta keep control of yourself in your workplace if you are a professional.

Agreed.  And I am not defending Aceves lack of self-control.  Only offering that Valentine managed to get to more than a few players last year with his horrid personal approach and stupid personnel management.  This is no secret.  Aceves, being Aceves, is just the only one who boiled over.  Again, this is not a defense of his past actions; professionalism is professionalism.  Only a possible defense of his future actions, as I think we can look at anyone's (Pedroia, Youk, Aceves, Gonzalez, Aviles et al) inproprieties last year through the lens of Bobby V's inability to function.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Youk had to be traded for pennies on the dollar. Or did you forget how much he just looooved Bobby V?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Impossible to know what Aceves was thinking going into ST...the bit today about him "testing" Farrell seems fairly lame.  "Testing" Valentine got him in a boatload of trouble last year - feelings about Valentine aside - all it did was give Aceves a bad rep..and now testing Farrell?  Why deliberately invite trouble so early?  If he is pouting over not being a starter, he can't really believe these antics are helping.  He acts like a player begging to be traded in my opinion.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how effective Farrell is at getting through to Aceves.  You'd think with all of our veteran players, someone could reach this guy and we could get a better look at his talent without all this drama.  Maybe FO should add a psych doc to the medical staff.  Couldn't hurt. 

Great Post.......   B I N G O !!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk had to be traded for pennies on the dollar. Or did you forget how much he just looooved Bobby V?

For the first time in major sports history (at least in my memory), a team elected to "fire" its players during a season not the manager.

I'd say a few players didn't "handle Bobby" too well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Youk had to be traded for pennies on the dollar. Or did you forget how much he just looooved Bobby V?

For the first time in major sports history (at least in my memory), a team elected to "fire" its players during a season not the manager.

I'd say a few players didn't "handle Bobby" too well.

Youkilis batted .233/.692 with the Red Sox and .236/.771 with the White Sox, both much lower that his career numbers of .283/.867. He was is clearly a player in decline and not worth much in trade value. He was traded not because of his dislike for Valentine so much as because he was in decline and Middlebrooks was going to be our 3B and there was no room for him at 1st either. That is not to say that Valentine proved to be anything besides an unmitigated disaster: he was just that. But only Aceves lost control and had to be suspended. You can't do that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

What sense did it make for Ben to hire valentine to clean up the mess caused by 2011 and then not back him when players whined, backstabbed, and plotted against Valentine? 

At least this time Slow Ben finally realizes what I said after the 2011 disaster - that the team culture needed to be fumigated and to start with Beckett...better late than never I guess -

But I bet Valentine is thinking, where were you Ben when the players were acting like their usual idiotic self when told what to do, and when to play?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not know how Valentine lasted so long in Japan.   

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i still get a chuckle thinking about pedroia lecturing to valentine about "how things are done in boston" after the epic 2011 collapse...

shameless and dumb

they shouldve benched him for three games right then and there and you wouldve had NO FURTHER PROBLEMS in 2012 with the inmates....then again Im sure that was Ben's passive-aggresive plan to get rid of Valentine (who was forced on him by LL)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i still get a chuckle thinking about pedroia lecturing to valentine about "how things are done in boston" after the epic 2011 collapse...

shameless and dumb

they shouldve benched him for three games right then and there and you wouldve had NO FURTHER PROBLEMS in 2012 with the inmates....then again Im sure that was Ben's passive-aggresive plan to get rid of Valentine (who was forced on him by LL)

It's interesting that such a great manager as Bobby V got no offers to manage this offseason. Not even in Japan. :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  

Make it simple- just provide 3 documentations.

MOON, let me direct you to the above post by DGHOUSE......  Then ask, did you not watch the circus/Aceves last year ????  Enough DOCUMENTATION  for you !!!!   I wouldn'y be crazy about him (ACEVES) As a teammate for 6 months, and I sure would not want him as a shipmate on a DESTROYER  !!!

And if one of your shipmates went to the captain and said you were a troublemaker, and it was well-documented, would you say 'okay, I'm done here', or would you ask him to show the documentation?

Maybe I'm wired differently, but I would call the other guy a bald-faced liar.