ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

I said last year that, if I were BV, I'd have told Aceves to leave the bench, take off his uniform, and not return to the RS.

I also said that, if I were BC, I'd tell his agent that if he acts out again, he'll stay in the minors until the Rule 5 took affect.

But one says categorically that he has a well-documented history as a trouble-maker, prior to BV, but doesn't have any documents to support that, then he is lying.

It isn't complicated at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

I said last year that, if I were BV, I'd have told Aceves to leave the bench, take off his uniform, and not return to the RS.

I also said that, if I were BC, I'd tell his agent that if he acts out again, he'll stay in the minors until the Rule 5 took affect.

But one says categorically that he has a well-documented history as a trouble-maker, prior to BV, but doesn't have any documents to support that, then he is lying.

It isn't complicated at all.

Is what Aceves did this spring that egregious to warrant that kind of threat?

My guess is that threatening Aceves would drive him over the top, and rather than do that, or wait for rule 5, trade him now if that's how we feel about him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is not a courtroom , where we need to produce evidence. If you watched Aceves over the last couple of years , it is pretty apparent that there is something not quite right with him. The fact that he is a very good pitcher does not change that.  I don't know about his behavior in New York , but the Yankees did not seem to mind his leaving , despite some excellent pitching performances. It can be very difficult to deal with a person like that.  Let's just hope that things go smoothly and no one gets hurt. 

They kept that headcase Joba the Headhunter. Let's hope no one gets hurt with him on the mound.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

And this is from NESN yesterday:

Aceves, who clashed with former Sox manager Bobby Valentine last season, has a reputation of being someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer. His demeanor is rather unusual, as are his actions, and he has found himself in hot water with the team on a few separate occasions.

Everyone clashed with the former Sox manager Bobby Valentine. What's your point?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Youk had to be traded for pennies on the dollar. Or did you forget how much he just looooved Bobby V?

For the first time in major sports history (at least in my memory), a team elected to "fire" its players during a season not the manager.

I'd say a few players didn't "handle Bobby" too well.

Amen.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Youk had to be traded for pennies on the dollar. Or did you forget how much he just looooved Bobby V?

For the first time in major sports history (at least in my memory), a team elected to "fire" its players during a season not the manager.

I'd say a few players didn't "handle Bobby" too well.

Amen.

Did Pedey "handle" BV well?  Papi?  CC?  Beckett? Youk? Shoppach? and on and on...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Aceves road is littered with DOCUMENTATION !!!  

Make it simple- just provide 3 documentations.

MOON, let me direct you to the above post by DGHOUSE......  Then ask, did you not watch the circus/Aceves last year ????  Enough DOCUMENTATION  for you !!!!   I wouldn'y be crazy about him (ACEVES) As a teammate for 6 months, and I sure would not want him as a shipmate on a DESTROYER  !!!

And if one of your shipmates went to the captain and said you were a troublemaker, and it was well-documented, would you say 'okay, I'm done here', or would you ask him to show the documentation?

Maybe I'm wired differently, but I would call the other guy a bald-faced liar.

The NAVY, unlike the LA LA world of MLB would have removed the troublemaker before harm/damage was done to the Ship &/or morale of the crew... If not, the crew may take care of it themselves.....  There would be no running the the Captain with complaints........ Now Joe, I know that you know your baseball...... Just go back to your "sports days" on any level and the effect of an "ACEVES" on the team..... He will be gone soooon !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

MOON, let me direct you to the above post by DGHOUSE......  Then ask, did you not watch the circus/Aceves last year ????  Enough DOCUMENTATION  for you !!!!   I wouldn'y be crazy about him (ACEVES) As a teammate for 6 months, and I sure would not want him as a shipmate on a DESTROYER  !!!

And if one of your shipmates went to the captain and said you were a troublemaker, and it was well-documented, would you say 'okay, I'm done here', or would you ask him to show the documentation?

The NAVY, unlike the LA LA world of MLB would have removed the troublemaker before harm/damage was done to the Ship &/or morale of the crew... If not, the crew may take care of it themselves.....  There would be no running the the Captain with complaints........ Now Joe, I know that you know your baseball...... Just go back to your "sports days" on any level and the effect of an "ACEVES" on the team..... He will be gone soooon !!!

...in that "blockbuster trade", I suppose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

...in that "blockbuster trade", I suppose.

B I N G O   !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, would the Navy had sent Pedey packing last year? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

MOON,  I don't mean to lump you in with the "BIG O" & the lib/left/soc/rad/MOONBATS..... Howevaa, Pedey's actions of last year do not "RISE TO THE LEVEL OF ONE ALFRED ACEVES" !!!   So, please do not try and "demonize" me as the above mentioned gang would do !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

MOON,  I don't mean to lump you in with the "BIG O" & the lib/left/soc/rad/MOONBATS..... Howevaa, Pedey's actions of last year do not "RISE TO THE LEVEL OF ONE ALFRED ACEVES" !!!   So, please do not try and "demonize" me as the above mentioned gang would do !!

He's pointing out your double standard Bill-806. You do remember Pedey saying to the press "That's not how we do things around here" right? The thing with you is that as soon as you've decided that you don't like a player nothing is ever going to change your mind. And you'll go to any lengths to find something bad to say about them, as evidenced by your obnoxious rantings about Manny, Beckett, Big Papi and now Aceves. Frankly Bill-806, it's not a very admirable quality. Cue the lib/left/soc/..... name calling in 3, 2, 1...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

He's pointing out your double standard Bill-806. You do remember Pedey saying to the press"That's not how we do things around here" right? The thing with you is that as soon as you've decided that you don't like a player nothing is ever going to change your mind. And you'll go to any lengths to find something bad to say about them, as evidenced by your obnoxious rantings about Manny, Beckett, Big Papi and now Aceves. Frankly Bill-806, it's not a very admirable quality. Cue the lib/left/soc/..... name calling in 3, 2, 1...

Carnie,  Pedey reacted and then realized he looked wrong going against the NEW manager so early in  S T......   As the year went on, it can be said that PEDEY was more in line, rather than out.......  That said, with BIG PAPI, im just questioning/worried about the HEEL......  And yes, ACEVES has to/must go.......  OH, and Manny & Beckett$, well SON, the rest is history & how did that turn out ????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The whole Aceves incident has been blown way out of proportion by the media.  After all, news tends to be slow during spring training. 

Aceves is nowhere near a troublemaker compared to past players such as Carl Everett or Milton Bradley. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

He's pointing out your double standard Bill-806. You do remember Pedey saying to the press"That's not how we do things around here" right? The thing with you is that as soon as you've decided that you don't like a player nothing is ever going to change your mind. And you'll go to any lengths to find something bad to say about them, as evidenced by your obnoxious rantings about Manny, Beckett, Big Papi and now Aceves. Frankly Bill-806, it's not a very admirable quality. Cue the lib/left/soc/..... name calling in 3, 2, 1...

Carnie,  Pedey reacted and then realized he looked wrong going against the NEW manager so early in  S T......   As the year went on, it can be said that PEDEY was more in line, rather than out.......  That said, with BIG PAPI, im just questioning/worried about the HEEL......  And yes, ACEVES has to/must go.......  OH, and Manny & Beckett$, well SON, the rest is history & how did that turn out ????

2 rings with Manny, 1 with Beckett. I'd say that turned out pretty well. And you were also questioning whether Papi was lying about his age too. It wasn't just the heel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Answer the question: would the Navy boot someone who undermined the captain of the ship?

I'm not trying to demonize you BILL, I like you. I'm trying to show that we all have our faults and make mistakes. Aceves perhaps more than others, but are you seriously saying that this year's issue rises to the level of all of this?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OH, and Manny & Beckett$, well SON, the rest is history & how did that turn out ????

No rings is how it turned out (after they left).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The whole Aceves incident has been blown way out of proportion by the media.  After all, news tends to be slow during spring training. 

Aceves is nowhere near a troublemaker compared to past players such as Carl Everett or Milton Bradley. 

I agree 100%. This is absurdity. The guy is a little hot-headed and unusual, so what?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Rob Bradford

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.

Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.

“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”

Aceves exhibited praise for new Red Sox manager John Farrell, who appeared to have a stern talk with the pitcher following his first crack at BP.

“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”

Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”

He apologized.

Crisis averted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Rob Bradford

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Alfredo Aceves threw his first batting practice session since Sunday’s controversial incident, in which he tossed balls lightly into the batters instead of executing the drill as planned.

Wednesday’s BP went off without a hitch, with Aceves showing sharp stuff while pitching to Juan Carlos Linares, Pedro Ciriaco and Daniel Nava. After the exercise, the pitcher explained his thoughts on what had transpired a few days before.

“It was just miscommunication. That’s all it was,” he said. “I apologized for that and now we’re on track.”

Aceves exhibited praise for new Red Sox manager John Farrell, who appeared to have a stern talk with the pitcher following his first crack at BP.

“He’s the kind of guy who is tough and you receive that toughness,” Aceves said. “I think it’s good for us.”

Aceves, who is scheduled to get the start in Port Charlotte Monday against the Rays, also drew praise from Farrell for his latest performance, with the manager relaying, “He had a very good day today. Focused. Good effort level. Good work day.”

He apologized.

Crisis averted.

i'm glad we made such a big deal over this......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Rob Bradford

He apologized.

Crisis averted.

I just like arguing with maroons I guess. :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Rob Bradford

He apologized.

Crisis averted.

I just like arguing with maroons I guess. :-)

you picked a good thread for it... bill is the biggest maroon here.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You didn't answer my question.

If someone went to the captain and said you had a well-documented history of bad behavior, would you not ask him to back it up?