ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

I said last year that, if I were BV, I'd have told Aceves to leave the bench, take off his uniform, and not return to the RS.

I also said that, if I were BC, I'd tell his agent that if he acts out again, he'll stay in the minors until the Rule 5 took affect.

But one says categorically that he has a well-documented history as a trouble-maker, prior to BV, but doesn't have any documents to support that, then he is lying.

It isn't complicated at all.

Is what Aceves did this spring that egregious to warrant that kind of threat?

My guess is that threatening Aceves would drive him over the top, and rather than do that, or wait for rule 5, trade him now if that's how we feel about him.

I would say yes.  I wouldn't want to do it, but after Valentine left the clubhouse in shambles, we need to let the players know that Farrell is in charge.

And one of the reasons I tell his agent, is so that he can explain to Aceves in a way it'll be understood.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Many pitchers are known to be a bit unusual to begin with. You have to be a bit overconfident in yourself to be succesful.

I'm not saying Aceves isn't a "rare bird" or that he doesn't have a temper or some issues, but much of it has been blown out of proportion by a media starved for a juicy story or posters seeking to support a position or to gain attention.

The fact is there is very little documentation of serious issues prior to BV's term with Aceves.

I said last year that, if I were BV, I'd have told Aceves to leave the bench, take off his uniform, and not return to the RS.

I also said that, if I were BC, I'd tell his agent that if he acts out again, he'll stay in the minors until the Rule 5 took affect.

But one says categorically that he has a well-documented history as a trouble-maker, prior to BV, but doesn't have any documents to support that, then he is lying.

It isn't complicated at all.

Is what Aceves did this spring that egregious to warrant that kind of threat?

My guess is that threatening Aceves would drive him over the top, and rather than do that, or wait for rule 5, trade him now if that's how we feel about him.

I would say yes.  I wouldn't want to do it, but after Valentine left the clubhouse in shambles, we need to let the players know that Farrell is in charge.

And one of the reasons I tell his agent, is so that he can explain to Aceves in a way it'll be understood.

Watching Aceves out there today, with a big smile & working hard, I'd say he definitely got the message! 

I haven't got ONE DOUBT about Farrell asserting his authority, and it becoming the unquestioned, & unchallenged gospel for any player who might be in serious need of strict perameters. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Watching Aceves out there today, with a big smile & working hard, I'd say he definitely got the message! 

I haven't got ONE DOUBT about Farrell asserting his authority, and it becoming the unquestioned, & unchallenged gospel for any player who might be in serious need of strict perameters.

I'm not a huge fan of Farrell or anything, but we definitely need a manager who commands respect this year.  Valentine is the type of guy that you can walk away from in mid-sentence, almost like he wasn't there.

In a way, I'm kind of glad it happened.  At a minimum, you now have 24 other players that are probably smiling to themselves that we now have structure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have plenty of doubts.

Farrell might have just said, "Kid, forget the media; you did nothing wrong."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I have plenty of doubts.

I don't think so !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have plenty of doubts.

and his agent happened to meet with Ben the next day???

really?

did he tell him to pay no mind to the media as well?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I have plenty of doubts.

Then, why would Aceves apologize?

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I have plenty of doubts.

Because the media demands apologies for non-issues.

His agent was looking for an extension... LOL

Are you really saying that what he did recently was worth all this? Seriously?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I have plenty of doubts.

This is what John Farrelll told the media about Alfredo Aceves on Sunday (at 0:58):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd9USYR5oZk

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I have plenty of doubts.

This is what John Farrelll told the media about Alfredo Aceves on Sunday (at 0:58):

ty for the link...JF simply said he addressed the issue - no details and obviously he didnt say it was a misunderstanding or blame the media....Aceves has been warned

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

I have plenty of doubts.

ty for the link...JF simply said he addressed the issue - no details and obviously he didnt say it was a misunderstanding or blame the media....Aceves has been warned

I like the way JF handled that.  He didn't hang Alfredo out to dry like Valentine, but he also didn't "in-house" smother it the way Francona would have.  He played it close to the vest but gave it a little mustard.  I agree with your assesment.  Alfredo has been warned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I like the way JF handled that.  He didn't hang Alfredo out to dry like Valentine, but he also didn't "in-house" smother it the way Francona would have.  He played it close to the vest but gave it a little mustard.  I agree with your assesment.  Alfredo has been warned.

excellent analysis...this guy might be the man we have been in need of as a leader..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm beginning to see why more MLB players might not want to play in Boston. This hypercriticism is not productive or appropriate. It's absurdity that this issue is still being discussed as a reason to dump a player of his skill level or any skill level for that matter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'm beginning to see why more MLB players might not want to play in Boston. This hypercriticism is not productive or appropriate. It's absurdity that this issue is still being discussed as a reason to dump a player of his skill level or any skill level for that matter.

i agree, its getting absurd..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Aceves is a good pitcher; period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I agree. But I'm also looking at it like there must be NOTHING else to talk about that they could put in a negative light. That's actually a positive if this is it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I agree. But I'm also looking at it like there must be NOTHING else to talk about that they could put in a negative light. That's actually a positive if this is it.

I see your point, but with someone as "touchy" as Aceves, I do not think all this hypersenitivity over a minor event is what he needs right now. It's not what anybody needs. I can understand why the media needs something to frenzy over (Yes, I used that word as a verb), but it doesn't mean us knowledgable posters have to take the bait and run with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I see your point, but with someone as "touchy" as Aceves, I do not think all this hypersenitivity over a minor event is what he needs right now. It's not what anybody needs. I can understand why the media needs something to frenzy over (Yes, I used that word as a verb), but it doesn't mean us knowledgable posters have to take the bait and run with it.

So Bill-806 is a knowledgeable poster now? :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Thanks for the compliment !!!  Just so you know, the Sox have no desire of a repeat of last years antics from Mr. Alfredo Aceves.....  He will be gone before they break camp !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Thanks for the compliment !!!  Just so you know, the Sox have no desire of a repeat of last years antics from Mr. Alfredo Aceves.....  He will be gone before they break camp !!!

If he's still here will you make a post each about Manny Ramirez and Josh Beckett without calling them names, or are you just running off at the mouth as usual?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I have plenty of doubts.

Because the media demands apologies for non-issues.

His agent was looking for an extension... LOL

Are you really saying that what he did recently was worth all this? Seriously?

Possible, but highly unlikely Moon. The simple interpretation of the events is probably correct: Aceves misunderstood what was required and was corrected by Farrell. If he continues to misbehave then we will all know that he has a chip on his shoulder and needs to be disciplined.