Aceves is no closer!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Aceves is no closer!

A closer should be a pitcher that can strike out batters like Paps and Bard. Aceves is not that type of pitcher. He will fail as a closer. Bailey was able to punch out batters. What is Plan B after Aceves stinks it up. Incidentally, this conclusion is not based on this one game. This was my opinion and the opinion of many others before we watched this game. Do you agree that a closer needs to punch out batters?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Aceves is no closer!

Too soon for this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to Aceves is no closer!:
    A closer should be a pitcher that can strike out batters like Paps and Bard. Aceves is not that type of pitcher. He will fail as a closer. Bailey was able to punch out batters. What is Plan B after Aceves stinks it up. Incidentally, this conclusion is not based on this one game. This was my opinion and the opinion of many others before we watched this game. Do you agree that a closer needs to punch out batters?
    Posted by wvwc61

It's omly one game and if they were going ot bring in the closer, it should have been done before the bases were loaded.

Aceves can pitch, .. he's pretty fearless so he has the tolls to be a closer.  What he's not is a strike out pitcher.  His career WHIP is about the same as Papelbon but his SO/9 isn't close.  If the RS insist on using him as closer they need to not wait until he has no margin for error because he's not a traditional closer.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Aceves is no closer!":
    A closer should be a pitcher that can strike out batters like Paps and Bard. Aceves is not that type of pitcher. He will fail as a closer. Bailey was able to punch out batters. What is Plan B after Aceves stinks it up. Incidentally, this conclusion is not based on this one game. This was my opinion and the opinion of many others before we watched this game. Do you agree that a closer needs to punch out batters? Posted by wvwc61
    It wasn't a save situation. Go look at Paps' stats in non-save situations...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Why is everybody PANICKING ? It's one game , people....against last year's Cy Young and MVP , on the road, to boot.

Strikeouts by closers are nice, especially with men on base. However there have been many closers through history who weren't fireballers. Tim Burke had a pretty sweet career in Montreal without high K rates.

Some of you have obviously been spoiled by recent styles / records of Foulke and Papelbon. Most closers would be happy with 2.78 ERA's, like last year's Melancon.
    Aceves appears to have the mental makeup to be a closer, only time will tell. And Bard may have to be transferred, but IMO mental strengt,h , audacity, arrogance and swagger have more to do with successful closing than a 98 mph heater.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I just hope we don't need a closer to ofter early here in the season.  Tough getting runs on Verlander.  Most people expect to lose against him anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I thought it was a great game.  And hard to pin it on Aceves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

This was not a close situation.  For an example of a close situation please reference Papelbon's final appearence in a Red Sox uniform.

When you lose your closer a couple days before the start of the season it is fair to assume the BP will be in a state of flux for a time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer!:
    Why is everybody PANICKING ? It's one game , people....against last year's Cy Young and MVP , on the road, to boot. Strikeouts by closers are nice, especially with men on base. However there have been many closers through history who weren't fireballers. Tim Burke had a pretty sweet career in Montreal without high K rates. Some of you have obviously been spoiled by recent styles / records of Foulke and Papelbon. Most closers would be happy with 2.78 ERA's, like last year's Melancon. Aceves appears to have the mental makeup to be a closer, only time will tell. And Bard may have to be transferred, but IMO mental strengt,h , audacity, arrogance and swagger have more to do with successful closing than a 98 mph heater.
    Posted by jimedfred

It's Boston, JimEd ... but you know that.

Terrific game, just a little short on our side.

At least chicken little hasn't been seen inside the city limits ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it really wasnt a save situation...bard wouldve been the usual call last yr....at this point, AA would be my first choice now in that spot...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from riles519. Show riles519's posts

It would be nice if Aceves would stop hitting batters in  crucial situations. He did that a lot last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Aceves is no closer! : It's omly one game and if they were going ot bring in the closer, it should have been done before the bases were loaded. Aceves can pitch, .. he's pretty fearless so he has the tolls to be a closer.  What he's not is a strike out pitcher.  His career WHIP is about the same as Papelbon but his SO/9 isn't close.  If the RS insist on using him as closer they need to not wait until he has no margin for error because he's not a traditional closer.
    Posted by heobrien

He came in with runners on first and second. He hit a guy then gave up the hit.

I agree with the Op Aceves is not a closer and they should have put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the 4th SP.
    I also said losing Paps is going to haunt  this team for a long time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : He came in with runners on first and second. He hit a guy then gave up the hit. I agree with the Op Aceves is not a closer and they should have put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the 4th SP. I also said losing Paps is going to haunt  this team for a long time.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I was working and watching at the same time for the last inning, .. I forgot about the guy he hit.

I agree that Bard would be a much better closer but obviously he's not an option at the moment.  In fact, I think Bard was the obvious closer choice as soon as Papelbon left.  And, unless or until he develops at least a respectable change I think he's poorly suited to be a starter.  The point was and remains that Aceves will give a good account of himself as a closer but he is not a closer.  He's not a swing and miss pitcher and he's not going to do well. in my opinion, if they bring him in with little or no margin for error and the game in the balance.

The real unspoken point here is regardless of whether Bard wanted to be a starter, .. regardless of the initial plans the RS had towards making him a starter, .. why would the RS take a good closer prospect with suspect skills and no history as a starter and keep him in the rotation?  And, at the same time take a guy with starter ability and no history as a closer and make him a closer?  It would seem obvious that despite the original intentions once Bailey went down the situation called for Bard to take over the closer role and Aceves step into the rotation.  At some point what was best for the team should have been the imperative.  moreover, neither of these two players have the history or stature that making the change late in ST was out of the question. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Aceves didn't do as well last year with inherited runners either, but he won't see that much as closer. I still think he's the guy for the job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Aceves didn't do as well last year with inherited runners either, but he won't see that much as closer. I still think he's the guy for the job.
    Posted by TheExaminer

hope you're right, exam. watching Aceves today reminded me he tends to come in wild, then settles down, which doesn't bode well if it's not a clean inning, if then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Aceves is no closer!":
    In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : hope you're right, exam. watching Aceves today reminded me he tends to come in wild, then settles down, which doesn't bode well if it's not a clean inning, if then. Posted by J-BAY
    Well, I guess he's gonna have to suck it up or else!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to "Re: Aceves is no closer!": Well, I guess he's gonna have to suck it up or else!
    Posted by TheExaminer

it's the or else that worries me. could be big trouble

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Although I liked todays result Aceves didn't come into the game in a save situation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTW999. Show MTW999's posts

I'm not in a panic and I like Aceves a lot - just not as a closer.  His value in my opinion is either as a starter or a reliever - he can come in for an inning or more and I like his attitude.  I know we needed someone to close after Bailey's injury but Aceves isn't the answer in my opinion.

I thought the game was decent.  I love Verlander anyway, but I thought Lester looked strong, i liked that we tied it up late in the game (seems like last year if it went past the 6th is was a no-go), and you have to admit that Detroit went out and strengthened their team.  It was a walk-off win and to be perfectly honest, I see the Red Sox losing quite a few one-run games; but they will be competitive

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

It's one game. He's not a guy I would want closing games. He hits too many batters, and in the final inning he doesn't have much room if he put on base runners. He's a pitch to contact guy who won't strike out a lot of hitters. Relies on defense and luck.
    Melancon has made too many mistakes, he got away with it in the NL. That won't fly here in the AL.

They totally mistreated Bard. They can't do any further with yanking him from the rotation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : it's the or else that worries me. could be big trouble Posted by J-BAY
    Nah. I'm not worried just yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The biggest concern that I take from this game is Melancon.  He showed absolutely nothing. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

The biggest concern that I take from this game is Melancon.  He showed absolutely nothing. 
    Posted by dgalehouse

He didn't show anything this spring. Just allows hits after hits leaving pitches up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

The biggest concern that I take from this game is Melancon.  He showed absolutely nothing.  Posted by dgalehouse
    If people need to place "blame," the outfield didn't exactly have a banner day...

Sections
Shortcuts