Aceves is no closer!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Aceves is no closer!

In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer!:
    [QUOTE]The biggest concern that I take from this game is Melancon.  He showed absolutely nothing. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]The bullpen overall was very much like the 2003 bullpen. Melancon in particular had a bad opener after a bad spring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hcp. Show hcp's posts

I hope the front office is not dictating some crucial decisons for Bobby V. Somehow a manager has to get players to do what is best for the Team. I don't understand how you can dictate what you want or don't want; ie, I don't want to be a closer. Therefore, you'll be a starter since that's what you want to be, even though you only have two type of pitches and starters have to have at least three.

And since you are upset because you can't be a starter, I'll make you happy by making you the closer, even though you are somewhat unreliable when players are on base, and you need to get some pitches in before you settle down. 

Let the players compete for their positions, like they were suppose to for the starter's slots. Bard was made a starter because he was promised?  That's where everything went awry. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

paps looked good closing that 1-0 game for the phillies.

Laughing

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]The biggest concern that I take from this game is Melancon.  He showed absolutely nothing. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Yes, Melancon gave up three line drives, one caught at the wall.  Aceves knicked a batter with a curve ball that he could have been said to swing at, and gave up a grounder that a foot to the right would have been a double play ball.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : Yes, Melancon gave up three line drives, one caught at the wall.  Aceves knicked a batter with a curve ball that he could have been said to swing at, and gave up a grounder that a foot to the right would have been a double play ball.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Blame it on the scouting surveys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

Red Sox fan was high on Aceves, last year was a nice fluke. This year back to reality.  It will be a mess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : how did jackson do weren't you just talking about him the other day  
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

He hit a ground ball that a foot to the right would have been an inning-ending double play.  pay attention :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Masteron pitched 8 great innings today....then the Indians closer blew the game. Masteron should have pitched the 9th and earned himslef a CG/W but protocol demanded the closer pitch the 9th. What a shame for baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Not that I was complaining, but thought the same thing about Verlander when Valverde blew the save, B. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

There are always a lot of games where the starter is pulled after the 8th. It isn't that a number of pitchers can't pitch say 8-15 complete games a year, it is that they are not allowed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : He came in with runners on first and second. He hit a guy then gave up the hit. I agree with the Op Aceves is not a closer and they should have put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the 4th SP. I also said losing Paps is going to haunt  this team for a long time.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I think the plan was for Bailey to be our closer and Aceves to be our everything guy...unfortunately for Bailey and the Sox, he got hurt and will miss most of the season recovering for his thumb surgery.

Jim I respect your opin, however the plan was to see what they've got in Bard as a starter and I see no reason to alter that plan. End of the day, Bard has the stuff to be a top of the rotation pitcher and frankly Aceves has the moixy to close. I didn't see yesterday's game, losing 3-2 on the road against arguably the best pitcher in the AL in not cause for concern. Replacing Bailey in the short term is, and if Melancon or Aceves can't fill his shoes then it's incumbent on Cherington to find someone that can. That guy could be Bard and in the end they might come to the conclusion that he's the obvious choice. I don't see the need to make that decision prematurely...

Where we differ is on them somehow regretting the loss of Papelbon. The reality is if Bailey didn't get injured, then we'd be having a different conversation today. Last I checked in both 2009 and last year with the season on the line Papelbon coughed up 2 runs leads with two out along with 3 other blown saves last September when Rome was burning. That's not to underscore what he did for the team. Only that IMHO too many Sox fans still see him as the guy that was unhittable in 2007. That Papelbon no longer exist's and frankly he hasn't been in the top 5 closers since...just check the stats.

In his mind he's Cinco Ocho and still clings to the idea that somehow he can just throw his fastball by ML hitters without the need to use his secondary stuff. Sorry but it's been 3 years since he's consistently thrown in the upper 90's..a formula that works until he losses command and after 20 or so pitches, he also losses velocity. Then the ball leaks out over the plate where his once mightly fastball now in the lower to mid 90's is a meatball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Aceves is no closer!:
    [QUOTE]A closer should be a pitcher that can strike out batters like Paps and Bard. Aceves is not that type of pitcher. He will fail as a closer. Bailey was able to punch out batters. What is Plan B after Aceves stinks it up. Incidentally, this conclusion is not based on this one game. This was my opinion and the opinion of many others before we watched this game. Do you agree that a closer needs to punch out batters?
    Posted by wvwc61[/QUOTE]

Bob Stanley wasn't a good closer?

Huge myth that closers need to be high strikeout guys.  Fans like radar gun readings and saves, however.  But Doug Jones saved over 300 games in his career and never hit 85mph on a radar gun.

And, yes, your conclusion is based on one game...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

You take a guy in Aceves who was probably the best pitcher in baseball in the roll he had last year and try him everywhere except that role this year. Totally dont understand

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : He hit a ground ball that a foot to the right would have been an inning-ending double play.  pay attention :)
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I believe you need to pay attention; note the excerpt below from Globe Writer Peter Abraham's recounting of the game:

Jackson then hit a hard grounder down the third base line, well out of the reach of Nick Punto, to win the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves is no closer! : On the contrary, I believe you need to pay attention; note the excerpt below from Globe Writer Peter Abraham's recounting of the game: Jackson then hit a hard grounder down the third base line, well out of the reach of Nick Punto, to win the game.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Abraham drinks heavily. He probably thought the pink elephant should have made the play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Neither is Mo it seems...lol