Aceves is upset!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Aceves is upset!

he damn well should be upset!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would much prefer Aceves in the rotation and Bard back in the pen.  Doubront earned his spot.  Bard did not.  Aceves did.  He should be pizzed off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Welcome to the circus that is bobby v

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Great start even before the regular season starts...
    Aceves should have been smart about it and shut his mouth because he will start eventually... Doub and Bard won't start 30 or more each... the very next candidate is Aceves himself and he's being a big baby even before the regular season starts.  Padilla is accepting his role and preparing in BP... This is very disappointing news...

And I just heard from bleacher report that Aceves is saying he was told to get prepared to start on coming Saturday against Detroit because Beckett is having a thumb injury or something like that... Aceves is giving the worst impression possible to the front office right now.. He's not helping himself...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Bobbie V is the manager. As Jimy used to say " Manager's perogative".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset!:
    Great start even before the regular season starts... Aceves should have been smart about it and shut his mouth because he will start eventually... Doub and Bard won't start 30 or more each... the very next candidate is Aceves himself and he's being a big baby even before the regular season starts.  Padilla is accepting his role and preparing in BP... This is very disappointing news... And I just heard from bleacher report that Aceves is saying he was told to get prepared to start on coming Saturday against Detroit because Beckett is having a thumb injury or something like that... Aceves is giving the worst impression possible to the front office right now.. He's not helping himself...
    Posted by seannybboi

you cant blame him though... after last season when he should have started in september but instead we threw weiland and miller into the fire he told managment he wanted to start in 2012. OK they said, get ready to start we'll give you a shot. If you pitch good you'll make the roto (in fine print it much have said if you pitch TOO good you'll be going back to the BP). So he spends all off season prepping to be a starter, gets to camp and shows that he is the BEST cantidate of 5 to be in the roto and they spit in his face.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

He should be upset. I think he is a much better option than Doubront. I think Doubront should be on a short leash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

"I'll do whatever it takes to help my team win." I miss those player statements.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

He should be upset. I think he is a much better option than Doubront. I think Doubront should be on a short leash.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

I actually think he is upset about Bard, not Doubront.  Felix pitched great this spring and earned his spot, and is a lefty to boot.  I think Acaves can live with that.  Its Bard, who has had an up and down spring and certainly has offered very little confidence that he will be a competent starter.  But, he is the chosen one the that the club has obviously put beyond ST competition for a starter spot.  I think that is what Aceves is alluding to when he talks about not having a chance no matter how good he pitches.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Aceves and Bard were both told that they would be competing for a starting job. Aceves clearly out pitched Bard. Bard gets the job anyway. Is Aceves supposed to be happy about this?  Would you be?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : you cant blame him though... after last season when he should have started in september but instead we threw weiland and miller into the fire he told managment he wanted to start in 2012. OK they said, get ready to start we'll give you a shot. If you pitch good you'll make the roto (in fine print it much have said if you pitch TOO good you'll be going back to the BP). So he spends all off season prepping to be a starter, gets to camp and shows that he is the BEST cantidate of 5 to be in the roto and they spit in his face.
    Posted by mef429

Yes.. I agree that Aceves earned a spot in the rotation from last year.  But we have new manager and Aceves knew he would have to fight for the spot in ST this year.  Even though he wasn't that effective, no one would have complained if he gets one of the two opening spot.  If either Doub or Bard struggles in April, I'm 100% sure Aceves WILL replace one of them right away.  I'm just disappointed that he had to express his feelings right at this moment when we have 4 days left until the regular season opening day. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes, Aceves should go to the nearest bar, get drunk, and get a ticket for the next plane to his home in Mexico. A despicable way to be treated. The FO does this all of the time.
    Posted by Firefligh2008

Didn't get that tenor at all from his quotes.  Aceves is not that kind of dude.  He is gonna compete hard for this club.  He wears his heart on his sleeve, and has a right to be PO'd.  Just letting off steam.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Aceves and Bard were both told that they would be competing for a starting job. Aceves clearly out pitched Bard. Bard gets the job anyway. Is Aceves supposed to be happy about this?  Would you be?
    Posted by dgalehouse

Of course I wouldn't be happy about it but I wont go public about my feeling either.. That's not helping the in any way...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : you cant blame him though... after last season when he should have started in september but instead we threw weiland and miller into the fire he told managment he wanted to start in 2012. OK they said, get ready to start we'll give you a shot. If you pitch good you'll make the roto (in fine print it much have said if you pitch TOO good you'll be going back to the BP). So he spends all off season prepping to be a starter, gets to camp and shows that he is the BEST cantidate of 5 to be in the roto and they spit in his face.
    Posted by mef429

Bingo!!

They lied to him, plain and simple.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

"I'll do whatever it takes to help my team win." I miss those player statements.
    Posted by chuchos

This is true. I agree he has a right to be upset but should not have expressed his feelings through the media. If he lets his pitching do the talking I think he will find himself starting games sooner or later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

He got shafted, agree w/Spaceman, Bard should be in pen because Aceves pitched better overall in spring training.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : This is true. I agree he has a right to be upset but should not have expressed his feelings through the media. If he lets his pitching do the talking I think he will find himself starting games sooner or later.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

He did let his pitching do the talking and was passed over anyway.

They told him he would come to camp and be given a shot at the rotation. He outpitches bard and is told "We're taking douby because he's a lefty and we want bard in the rotation."

That basically means he had no shot at making the rotation. They lied to him and he has every right to be upset.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : This is true. I agree he has a right to be upset but should not have expressed his feelings through the media. If he lets his pitching do the talking I think he will find himself starting games sooner or later.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

The dude wears his heart on his sleeve and sweats the gulf of mexico through the bill of his cap every outing.  You really expect him to swallow this no problem?  No, he should not have aired the dirty laundry.  But, a. he is rightly pizzed off and b. he is a fierce heart, c. 2011 tells us that this guy is a team first winner who is not afraid of the dirty work.   I don't take much issue with him letting off steam over this.  And, I am positive, he will be letting his pitching do the talking going forward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I would much prefer Aceves in the rotation and Bard back in the pen.  Doubront earned his spot.  Bard did not.  Aceves did.  He should be pizzed off.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Fully agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think it's good he is upset because he will still want to prove his worth.  Given last year, I think Aceves is better suited for bringing stability to a shaky bullpen, which is now even shakier with the apparent DL injury to Bailey.  

Plus it's still early, and Aceves could yet be a starter--see the early but incorrect report that Aceves might start twice for Beckett.  If Bard or Doubront fails, Aceves could be put back into the rotation. 

If Bard does indeed have a usable changeup to go with the two fastballs and the slider, I think he is a better option to start.  In the end, of course, it always boils down to command of his pitches. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : I actually think he is upset about Bard, not Doubront.  Felix pitched great this spring and earned his spot, and is a lefty to boot.  I think Acaves can live with that.  Its Bard, who has had an up and down spring and certainly has offered very little confidence that he will be a competent starter.  But, he is the chosen one the that the club has obviously put beyond ST competition for a starter spot.  I think that is what Aceves is alluding to when he talks about not having a chance no matter how good he pitches.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    I agree Space that Bard and not Felix is the issue for Aceves and in fact should be with fans too if they take issue with Aceves not being in the rotation to start the year.

Last year Aceves beat out Tim Wakefield based on performance during ST for a spot on the 25 man roster, but the fact that Alfredo had options made him the logical guy to send down procedurally.

This year the RS seem all in to trying to convert Bard to a starter but based on their ST performances, Doubront and Aceves should be the starters.

And it doesn't help the matter from Aceves perspective that while his role is very valuable baseball wise (long and short relief plus spot/6th starter)it donesn't convert well into prestige or contract $$$.

And I question whether taking a great set-up guy and trying to convert him to a bottom of the rotation guy is such a great tact too.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves is upset! : I agree Space that Bard and not Felix is the issue for Aceves and in fact should be with fans too if they take issue with Aceves not being in the rotation to start the year. Last year Aceves beat out Tim Wakefield based on performance during ST for a spot on the 25 man roster, but the fact that Alfredo had options made him the logical guy to send down procedurally. This year the RS seem all in to trying to convert Bard to a starter but based on their ST performances, Doubront and Aceves should be the starters. And it doesn't help the matter from Aceves perspective that while his role is very valuable baseball wise (long and short relief plus spot/6th starter)it donesn't convert well into prestige or contract $$$. And I question whether taking a great set-up guy and trying to convert him to a bottom of the rotation guy is such a great tact too.  
    Posted by fivekatz

Totally agree 5K.  I had seats behind the plate last weekend for Bard's shaky start vs. Blue Jays.  This was the start after he only threw one change-up.  And, his change-up looked, being very nice, shaky.  He just doesn't have command over it yet.  Not that he can't develop that.  But, for my money, I would rather he not be 'developing' it in the regular season.  

That alone should be enough to warrant a return to his formerly awesome role as set-up guy extraordinnaire.  Then throw in the uncertainty over how many innings he can throw over the course of the season ...

I don't know.  I know Aceves is valuable in the pen.  But so is Bard.  If Bard had come in and really shown change-up command and pitched well this spring, sure, pencil him in.  I am a gambling man and I like a big bet.  But, I also know when to fold 'em.  May he prove me wrong. 

In any case, whether it be Bard or the inevitable injury, I have the feeling ST wasn't Aceves' only chance to earn a rotation spot this year.

Sections
Shortcuts