Aceves or Bailey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Aceves or Bailey?

It's early to worry about this because Bailey remains out but ...

After two bad outings in his first six games, three if you count the first game when he let a runner score, Aceves has been great. His ERA was 27.00 after allowing five runs in the 15-9 debacle. Since then, however, Aceves has pitched 15.1 innings in 12 games with seven saves and a 1.17 ERA. And for those who say he's not a power pitcher that you want as a closer, he has 17 Ks during that stetch, which is better than 9Ks per 9 innings.

Conventional wisdom says he is better as a long reliever or set-up role, but if he keeps pitching like this, do you mess with success and throw Bailey in or do you simply slide Bailey in to the eighth-inning role.

For me, if the bullpen continues like it has been and Aceves continues to get the job done, my feeling is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Aceves or Bailey?

I'd say Aceves stays as closer as long as he's getting the job done.  Bailey returns as 8th inning guy and backup closer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why we are worry about Bailey if he isnt coming back until like in the second half season.  If Aceves starts to fall apart, then Valentine is more likely to go back to Melancon.

For now, we just have to hope Aceves isnt going to fall apart.  Since Boston got swept by KC as well they lost two extra innings games to the Orioles, their whole pitching staffs have been on a hot roll.

Valentine better not to mess up the chemistry.  I know Youkilis and Melancon is due to come off of DL.  But it is more likely that Lin is going back to minor league, and also it is more likely that Prunto is going to be either be traded or designated for an assignment.

Nava, Middlebrook, Byrd and Sweetney will likely to be on the 25 man roster!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Given Bailey's past & present injury history, I think we should stick with Aceves as closer. He has done a nice job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

With Aceves having converted seven straight save opportunities and allowed only two runs in his last 16 1/3 innings, this one looks to be a pretty easy call.

Exactly, Roy. Not only ain't it broke, it's working awfully well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Aceves or Bailey?:
    [QUOTE]It's early to worry about this because Bailey remains out but ... After two bad outings in his first six games, three if you count the first game when he let a runner score, Aceves has been great. His ERA was 27.00 after allowing five runs in the 15-9 debacle. Since then, however, Aceves has pitched 15.1 innings in 12 games with seven saves and a 1.17 ERA. And for those who say he's not a power pitcher that you want as a closer, he has 17 Ks during that stetch, which is better than 9Ks per 9 innings. Conventional wisdom says he is better as a long reliever or set-up role, but if he keeps pitching like this, do you mess with success and throw Bailey in or do you simply slide Bailey in to the eighth-inning role. For me, if the bullpen continues like it has been and Aceves continues to get the job done, my feeling is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

He also hit 97 on the gun on a few occasions...I would leave well enough alone..It appears to me that Aceves is taking to his new role quite well and IMHO, looks more and more like a true closer every day...Difference is..He can give ya 2-3 innings if needed and has 3 quality pitches...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves or Bailey?:
    [QUOTE]With Aceves having converted seven straight save opportunities and allowed only two runs in his last 16 1/3 innings, this one looks to be a pretty easy call. Exactly, Roy. Not only ain't it broke, it's working awfully well.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Rushed into service early, and really took very little time getting used to the role. Looks comfortable now, and I would take him any day over Paps, since he can bring it at 95-6 when he needs to but actually mixes up his pitches better than Paps ever did. Think he is a keeper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Aceves is the closer.  And it will be his job to lose.  Bailey will be a great addition as a set-up guy, a role that the club does not quite have locked at the moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Clone Aceves several times so he can fill roles as starter long reliever set-up man and closer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bailey has done nothing yet other than be traded to the Sox.  Melancon has already demonstrated how hard it is to pitch in the AL and AL East, so Bailey is suspect until proven otherwise.  Right now I would go with Aceves, Mortensen, or Melancon before going with Bailey as the closer.   

Aceves has actually gone 16.1 innings since April 21, the infamous Yankees comeback and win, 15-9, and given up 2 runs.  Unlike Papelbon, he will go more than 1 inning if necessary.  So far, moving him to the closer slot has been genius.  But there's a lot of season left.