Aceves will fly to CA on his own, won't travel with the Red Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Aceves will fly to CA on his own, won't travel with the Red Sox

It could be that Aceves has left Boston for some much neeed R & R perhaps back in Mexico and rather than fly back to Boston he will be flying directly to LA. 

I don't find that unusual--seems like the person reporting the story didn't know where he was.

No need to jump on this as a big story.  If the words used by BV were his exact words I would be saddened by this result when communication between V and Aceves before Fridays game may have straightened it out and avoided the whole situation. Communication has not been one of Bobby V's strong suits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcdohio. Show jcdohio's posts

In Response to Aceves will fly to CA on his own, won't travel with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]This guy is sounding like a real whack job.... http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/22358/aceves-will-fly-separately-to-west-coast
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

I read that Aceves was 'banned' from the team plane, presumably because today, the day they're flying, is technically still a 'suspension' day.  Seems a bit extreme to me, but whatever.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/alfredo-aceves-banned-from-team-plane/1#.UDwgHKP7pZg

Agree that BV is not blameless here.  Not condoning Ace's meltdown, but I would have thought this was the big spot that BV needed to communicate.  Unless he was sufficiently pissed off by something else that Ace did that he didn't care.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Aceves should just look in the mirror instead of slamming doors. His ERA is approaching 5. He doesn't deserve to close. Besides, his best role is the one he played last year: long relief.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

who put him at closer? he did what he was asked, pumps. So now he gets to be villified as another cancer...jesus, enough Aceves bashing. He wasn't a closer, they basically forced him into it and didn't allow him to be a SP--that they reserved for Daniel Bard....Aceves is a workhorse, and he was always misused in a closer spot. That's not his fault.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BV was praised for putting him there. But of course, anything he does is ignored or overlooked by fans because the guy can do no wrong, and better yet, he's not a player, and even better it's not his coaches...BV for Mayor!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves will fly to CA on his own, won't travel with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]who put him at closer? he did what he was asked, pumps. So now he gets to be villified as another cancer...jesus, enough Aceves bashing. He wasn't a closer, they basically forced him into it and didn't allow him to be a SP--that they reserved for Daniel Bard....Aceves is a workhorse, and he was always misused in a closer spot. That's not his fault.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Don't tell Aceves he isn't a closer, you'll get a fastball to the temple.

The guy is crazy. He thinks he is God's gift to baseball, thinking he is an ace starting pitcher and stud closer rolled into one. He's got talent, but he has more problems. Same with Padilla. The only value on holding onto these two guys is that it keeps our hitters from getting hit by them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Padilla happens to be one of the best setup guys in the AL all season, but don't let that get in the way of an angry hate Aceves post. Idiot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves will fly to CA on his own, won't travel with the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Padilla happens to be one of the best setup guys in the AL all season, but don't let that get in the way of an angry hate Aceves post. Idiot.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that 4.22 ERA and 1.40 WHIP scream best setup man in the AL. He's not even the best setup guy on his own team, idiot. At least all of his teammates love him, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

He's done his job, moron.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

If his job is to make enemies and pitch as mediocre as possible, then he succeeded. Now do your job and research things before you open your mouth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So isn't it assumed Bailey is the closer for 2013? Is it not true Aceves is worn out and unable to perform at his best? Is it not true Aceves got angry this past spring when he was not named the 5th starter?

Why can't BV just say to him that he is no longer the closer rather than what he said earlier... that as of today Aceves is still the closer.

Why on Earth would the manager not make the change, let everyone know, and let the team get some rhythm?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BECAUSE ENCHIRITO, AS I'VE SAID ALL YEAR, AND WE GOT PEOPLE HERE WHO JUST SEEM TO LOVE THE ITALIAN STALLION MANAGER, HE'S AN IDIOT. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD CONTINUE TO PUSH A PITCHER INTO A RAGE BY CONTINUING TO STATE A DELUSION THAT WON'T HAPPEN....WELCOME TO BV BEING BV. You can say what you want about Alfredo, but he was more or less the team's MVP last year, and he did what he was asked to do--be a closer, and he just didn't hit the type of norms you expect or match up to a real closer like Jonathan Papelbon...But of course, this is the same forum that wanted Papelbon gone, wanted AGON gone, still want Pedroia's head on a stick, think Ellsbury should be dealt immediately, want Salty gone because he strikes out a lot, want Lavarnway to be a fulltime starter despite batting .100 with 21 less HR this year than Salty, same forum that wants BV to get  "a second chance" because the poor guy can't work with existing coaches, can only work with ones he hand picks. Then the team can play under .500 and 4 All-Stars can be dealt before he even remotely is thought of losing his job for not doing his job--managing the players to play to their best ability...he can't do that....How many players are underachieving even right now--Starting pitchers, relievers, starting 9 players. Aceves is just another player who disagrees with his manager and is going to be thrown under the fan bus for acting out. The guy gets my free pass for being a team player--he did 2 jobs he obviously didn't relish but understood he was needed to fill in for--middle, long reliever in 2011 and closer in 2012...Aceves wants to be a SP--if that makes him a cancer, then Bard already died from the disease.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Well you might be half right, it is obvious to me Aceves has a temper. All the more reason for BV not to hem and haw over who is the closr and not define the roles more definitively to his players. Bailey = Closer, Aceves = Middle Reliever.

Simple.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

A sane manager would do what you say-Burrito--and we all know, well I think about 10 percent of this board--that BV is completely Psycho (and I don't mean Steve Lyons Psycho, I mean Hitchcock Psycho). Bailey should be named closer yesterday, and Aceves should actually be inserted into the rotation for the remainder of the season as a bone thrown by the franchise for doing the Sox a service the past 2 seasons. There's nothing to lose by giving Alfredo 2 or 3 starts. But ultimately, he's my ultimate middle,long guy and I'd make sure he comes back just as that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Without the rage seen in Aceves and Padilla, I doubt either could be as effective pitchers as they have mostly been (Aceves obviously for 2011, and Vicente this year as an effective newcomer to the pen).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The entire Aceves problem from last Friday night could have been solved before it even happened if Valentine had told Aceves BEFORE the game that he was not going to be used tonight unless extra innings forced everyone in the pen to be used.  After Aceves's poor, two inning performance in a loss the night before he clearly needed a little rest.

He has not been the best of closers, but has done a decent job for most of the year.  His ERA has been clobbered by several really poor performances, but for the most part he has not been terrible.  Certainly, he has been the best choice of what was available when Bailey got hurt in spring training.

A little up front communication by the manager and this would not have been a problem.

Just another situation that occured or was made worse by Valentine who may be the worst manager in the majors this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

This is a guy with a history of attitude issues. He wants to start and has been vocal about that since he got here. They put him in a position to close when he's never closed before and doesn't have the stuff for it. He was 24-3 going into this season with an era in the very low 3s and is 2-8 with 7 blown saves and a 4.60 era. Obviously, he's a prideful guy and has to be embarrassed about his performance. Impossible to know what the communication has been like behind the scenes and if they told him Bailey would begin to close when he got healthy. If BV et al didn't infrom him of this fact, shame on them. If they did and this is how he is reacting it's not a good sign moving forward. In fact, either way it isn't very good, and regardless, the clock might very well be ticking on this guy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end, it sounds as though Aceves had temper tantrum and was sent to his room with out his supper. Bottom line is that Valentine must stand firm or he'll lose whatever leverage he has with the other 24 guys in the lockeroom.

We can quibble over whether Valentine handled the situation correctly by not informing Aceves that Bailey was now the teams closer. Regardless of how the news was broken to Aceves. Throwing a tantrum in front of the rest of team is never a good way to communicate with your boss...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

danny and bt33 those were well put comments; I would  also like to see the Sox move Aceves into the rotation for the last month and put Morales back in the pen.

If Aceves and Dice do well as  starters and were lined up for 2013 with Buch, Lester, Doubie, Lackey, Mortenson, Workman, Rubby and Webster to fight it out for the five slots I could live with the results of that competition.

Communication Bobby V---if BV told him , shame on Aceves--if he didn't, BV knows better, he's been around the game long enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

I'd like to see them move Aceves to a mental asylum until next season. If only he hadn't been able to find his own way to California, we probably would have won tonight's game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think during the pregame, before the 3 rd Angels game, I thought I heard something that sounded reasonable--perhaps V is beginning to stretch Aceves out to try him in the rotation. I think Remy made the comment as a result of him working two back to back 2 inning stints in the last week. Now that you have Bard in the pen with Bailey closing and Padilla, Miller, Tazawa and Melancon for early set-up and long relief--it frees up an option for Aceves. 

This would give the Sox a month to evaluate. Perhaps if that works out he may play a month of winterball to see how his arm recovers. Perhaps a diamond in the rough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Whether BV told him Bailey would be closing a game or 2 or didnt, that is absolutely NO EXCUSE for how Aceves handled it. Ripping his shirt off and slamming doors like a freakin CHILD? Aceves just threw a ton of pitches the last few games and Bailey, their ORIGINAL closer, fresh off DL was a fresh arm to give a tired BP some rest. If Aceves wasnt so busy acting so selfishly he would have reazlized this without having to be told beforehand what was going on and rolled with it. Guys got some mental issues...He does belong in the role he was last year IMO. And for a guy who is obviously not the closer type, he has done a decent job...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Awesome.  Maybe he can blow a save on the plane.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Apparently, Aceves' closing days are over, for this year. It's Bailey's job from here on out.

Sections
Shortcuts