Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Aceves

While scanning these boards for something other than Gonzalez to the OF, Drew is a bust, and DFA Cam and DMac threads, I found this tidbit on a different subject which may be worth discussing.  EdithBunker started a thread yesterday about Peter Gammons' most recent comments on WEEI's Mut and Merloni show.  That thread appears to be focusing mainly on Lowrie's injury, but it was the following comment that jumped out at me and seems worthy of its own thread:

“Aceves as a starter is an adventure ... Saltalamacchia had no idea what was coming. He would put down a sign, and [Aceves] would throw whatever he wanted to throw.”

Does anyone else think this is a cause for concern?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Re: Aceves

From a Yankee fan perspective, I never heard that although he's a free spirit for sure. Stuff like that is also a product of who's the stronger personality--the pitcher or the catcher calling the game or even the strength of the pitching coach to read someone the riot act. The Yankees and the fan base loved him for his work as a solid long man. But his back is way too shot for him to be a starter for any length of time or even a reliable long man, which is why I understand Cashman made no real attempt to sign him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think with Alfredo, you get what you get.  Yes, it is cause for concern.  The dude is obviously slightly nuts.  But, he is also a workhorse and a fine pitcher when his wires aren't crossed.  I guess it'll just be an adventure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves:
    From a Yankee fan perspective, I never heard that although he's a free spirit for sure. Stuff like that is also a product of who's the stronger personality--the pitcher or the catcher calling the game or even the strength of the pitching coach to read someone the riot act. The Yankees and the fan base loved him for his work as a solid long man. But his back is way too shot for him to be a starter for any length of time or even a reliable long man, which is why I understand Cashman made no real attempt to sign him.
    Posted by mfymfy

IMO, one of his many mistakes when it comes to assessing pitchers; although I'll give him credit this yr for scrounging up some finds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by mfymfy

obviously cashman blew this one

yes the back an other injuries were the problem

but the rub was aceves wanted a major league contract

and cashmen would only offer a minor league deal

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Don't know if it was a mistake or not, Steven, but obviously not a risk worth taking in Cash's mind. I loved the guy, but a bad back doesn't ever turn into a good back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The more I think about it, the more Aceves has Delonte West written all over him.  I remember hearing about this problem a while back, but thought that it had been corrected after a stern talking to.  I didn't notice this that last time out, although I may have been focusing on him just throwing strikes after the 2nd inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The more I think about it, the more Aceves has Delonte West written all over him.  I remember hearing about this problem a while back, but thought that it had been corrected after a stern talking to.  I didn't notice this that last time out, although I may have been focusing on him just throwing strikes after the 2nd inning.
    Posted by JB-3

Don't tell LeBron's Mom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Joel---I remember earlier in the season he shook off every sign put down--I think Salty was catching. 
    Perhaps he would prefer the role of a reliever and he decided this was a way of getting someone's attention or give me plenty of notice the next time you want me to start, don't notifify me the day before I will be starting in Beckett's place--I need more prep time.
    I like Aceves as a reliever and I would prefer Doubrount as a starter until Buch gets back. 
    Hottovy needs more spot work--perhaps facing Rizzo or another tough lefty-then pull him.
    Wheeler is a one inning guy.
    Albers is a workhorse; 1 to 3 inn's
    Aceves could be a spot guy or up to 3 inn's in relief.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Aceves definitely has issues.  He is an odd one, for sure. But , he does have talent. We have seen that.  The five consecutive walks were incredible but he did settle down eventually. I have never, in my life , seen anyone perspire the way he does when it is hot. Hard to figure the guy out but , all in all , he has done a pretty good job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I will say on one trip Salty made out the expression on his face made me wonder what did Aceves say to him. He just had this perplexed look on his face. Yes he had the mask on but after alll the times I have seen a catcher go out I have never had the question "What the he!! did the pitcher say to him?" go thru my mind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Joel---I remember earlier in the season he shook off every sign put down--I think Salty was catching.  Perhaps he would prefer the role of a reliever and he decided this was a way of getting someone's attention or give me plenty of notice the next time you want me to start, don't notifify me the day before I will be starting in Beckett's place--I need more prep time. I like Aceves as a reliever and I would prefer Doubrount as a starter until Buch gets back.  Hottovy needs more spot work--perhaps facing Rizzo or another tough lefty-then pull him. Wheeler is a one inning guy. Albers is a workhorse; 1 to 3 inn's Aceves could be a spot guy or up to 3 inn's in relief.
    Posted by MadMc44
    It was Tek. Aceves threw back to back breaking balls and the second one was crushed. After that he just wouldn't stop shaking off Tek, if it wasn't the pitch it was the location. He did't give up another hit or walk but it was noticable.

Right now Aceves even with Buch out is a spot starter. Wake and Miller will be getting the starts. When Buch is back if I had to guess Miller goes to the bullpen and Hottovy is the man out. Because in spite of the infinite wisdom of 1.5M fans, Epstein and Francona aren't sending their $85M pitcher to the bullpen just yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

3.72 ERA   4 HR  (Hispanic guy who most Red Sox fans say is "crazy")

4.26 ERA   10 HR (Pot bellied from Florida, most Red Sox fans say is "good guy")

Joel, concern yourselves with the goofball homerun, wild pitches called "passed balls" and base stealing derby. Wastefield is a lunatic, because he disregards the signs and just throws the blooper pitch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

Irony: betterdeadthanpostingonaforum playing the race card.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

3.72 ERA   4 HR  (Hispanic guy who most Red Sox fans say is "crazy") 4.26 ERA   10 HR (Pot bellied from Florida, most Red Sox fans say is "good guy") Joel, concern yourselves with the goofball homerun, wild pitches called "passed balls" and base stealing derby. Wastefield is a lunatic, because he disregards the signs and just throws the blooper pitch.
    Posted by betterredthandead

Wake has been much better as a starter than a RP.
    Aceves has been much better as a RP than a SP.

So your solution is to allow each pitcher to pitch in the role he is worse suited for.

Interesting.

Seriously, while we don't know how long Aceves will last, why would anyone want to take him out of the BP as important as he's been in there?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As starters in 2011:
    Wake     4-2  4.14  (1.140 WHIP) in 8 starts
    Aceves  1-1  5.14  (1.571 WHIP) in 4 starts

As Relievers in 2011:
    Wake     4.73  (1.125 WHIP)
    Aceves  2.60  (1.120 WHIP)

Looks like Joe has a very good point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : It was Tek.Aceves threw back to back breaking balls and the second one was crushed. After that he just wouldn't stop shaking off Tek, if it wasn't the pitch it was the location. He did't give up another hit or walk but it was noticable. Right now Aceves even with Buch out is a spot starter. Wake and Miller will be getting the starts. When Buch is back if I had to guess Miller goes to the bullpen and Hottovy is the man out. Because in spite of the infinite wisdom of 1.5M fans, Epstein and Francona aren't sending their $85M pitcher to the bullpen just yet.
    Posted by fivekatz

Katz: Aceves' issues run deeper than that one pitch.
    We talked about this before. I felt he was a head case early on due to communication issues. He continually crosses up his catchers, and looks like he's on another planet when confronted.

He's a "feel" pitcher. He goes by his own instincts - calls his own game in part.
    It appears that he's hard to reach at times, and the flow of the game suffers as a result. This affects his rhythm.

Also, he's not well suited to short relief stints for similar reasons. It takes a little time for him to establish the feel for his stuff. He's best acclamated for long relief - unless he begins to trust his catchers...and his stuff.

His problem in his last start was that everything was up in the zone.  Salty tried to tell him his shoulder was flying open, but it just didn't penetrate...until the game was lost.

Beyond any physical concerns NY may have had with him, I can see why they didn't want to commit anything substantial to him. He's well worth what Boston is paying for his services...but he tends to be his own worst enemy. He didn't stay in AAA for 7 years without good reason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Posted by JB-3

Not throwing the correct pitch is a long way from driving down the road with a gun in a guitar case and banging your teammates mom.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I can't believe they don't have a doctor to look at his sweating, or at least someone who might be able to help him with that. It has to be distracting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

While I understand the need for good communication between P & C ...  I think we understood Alfredo was a bit flighty.

Which, btw, normally doesn't bother me.  Brings a little colour ro the game.

When it gets out of control, that's different.

Bill Lee

Mark Fydrich

Goose

Oil Can

... shot list ...

never a dull moment.

Heck, even Pedro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oil-can Boyd does come to mind when I see Aceves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Flighty ...   :o)

Not pitching style ....

Or body style

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Very important to use a small sample from a partial season to make the decison that Wastefield is a better starter than Aceves. Aceves is a crazy guy whose ERA doesn't matter unless our resident board geniuses divide it up the way it's supposed to be divided up. Wastefield is a great guy whose ERA only matters when he's starting 8 games over the first half of 2011.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Very important to use a small sample from a partial season to make the decison that Wastefield is a better starter than Aceves. Aceves is a crazy guy whose ERA doesn't matter unless our resident board geniuses divide it up the way it's supposed to be divided up. Wastefield is a great guy whose ERA only matters when he's starting 8 games over the first half of 2011.

I love Aceves and am glad we have both him and Wake. I am fine with Aceves as a starter, but feel Wake as starter and Aceves as reliever works better for this team.

You can keep clinging to your specific time frame to bash Wake. You refuse to recognize his time frame from 2007 to now, 2008 to now, the start of 2009 to now, or the start of 2011 to now.

You cry "injury effects" with Dice-K and Oki, but back surgery recovery is brushed under the rug. It is obvious to anyone who actually watches the games, that Wake is much healthier than last season and the end of 2009. He is defending much much better and has shown better control of his pitches.

You predicted disaster this year for Wake. You have been very wrong so far. late 2009 has nothing to do with 2011. Last year's post back surgery season has nothing to do with 2011.

Admit you were wrong on Wake. There are no "dumpster" pitchers who come close to Wake's 2011 numbers or his numbers since turning 41.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If he admits being wrong about Wake, I will admit myself into posting therapy.

Sections
Shortcuts