Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Aceves

Very important to use a small sample from a partial season to make the decison that Wastefield is a better starter than Aceves. Aceves is a crazy guy whose ERA doesn't matter unless our resident board geniuses divide it up the way it's supposed to be divided up. Wastefield is a great guy whose ERA only matters when he's starting 8 games over the first half of 2011.

I love Aceves and am glad we have both him and Wake. I am fine with Aceves as a starter, but feel Wake as starter and Aceves as reliever works better for this team.

You can keep clinging to your specific time frame to bash Wake. You refuse to recognize his time frame from 2007 to now, 2008 to now, the start of 2009 to now, or the start of 2011 to now.

You cry "injury effects" with Dice-K and Oki, but back surgery recovery is brushed under the rug. It is obvious to anyone who actually watches the games, that Wake is much healthier than last season and the end of 2009. He is defending much much better and has shown better control of his pitches.

You predicted disaster this year for Wake. You have been very wrong so far. late 2009 has nothing to do with 2011. Last year's post back surgery season has nothing to do with 2011.

Admit you were wrong on Wake. There are no "dumpster" pitchers who come close to Wake's 2011 numbers or his numbers since turning 41.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If he admits being wrong about Wake, I will admit myself into posting therapy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

You can keep clinging to your specific time frame to bash Wake

You keep clinging to your specific time frame to air brush Wastefield.

The last time you claimed I was wrong on Lowrie going down, Lowrie went down a few days later. Wastefield has not been a fit active roster member this year. He's just recently been put in an every 5 days starter's role. While you pretend his 10 homers and ERA do not reflect the quality of his season long active roster performance, you are going to pretend that allocating the Wastefield innings to younger pitchers would yield lesser results.

I predict disaster for Wastefield, this year, just like the disaster he's been since the last half of 2009. A 4.26 ERA and 10 homers in few innings is not exactly a body of work to instill confidence in the 44 year old pot bellied man.

Anyone claiming they have confidence in Wastefield as a starter is not being honest. Wastefield's implosion is as sure as the sun rising, as it is a modus operendi of an old fat guy throwing a goofball launching pad pitch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

betterignoredthanread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves:
    [QUOTE]3.72 ERA   4 HR  (Hispanic guy who most Red Sox fans say is "crazy") 4.26 ERA   10 HR (Pot bellied from Florida, most Red Sox fans say is "good guy") Joel, concern yourselves with the goofball homerun, wild pitches called "passed balls" and base stealing derby. Wastefield is a lunatic, because he disregards the signs and just throws the blooper pitch.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Softy, I've got to tell you that it really pisses me off when you attempt to hijack a thread I started to tell us for the umpteenth time your views on Wake.  I know you probably don't care what I think, and you'll probably respond with an insult, but I'm telling you anyway.  It is so tiresome, man.  Please take note of the subject line of this thread.  It is "Aceves."  It is not "Wakefield."  I posed a question, to wit, whether any other posters are concerned with Aceves' behavior spoken of by Gammons.  I welcome your view on this matter if you are so inclined to speak of Aceves without your customary Wakefield digs.  If you have no interest in discussing said subject, then please take your act elsewhere.  I am trying very hard to be civil about this.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I realize that the Sox knew they were getting a loose cannon when they signed Aceves.  My concern with this particular situation, though, is that if Salty doesn't know what's coming, there is an increased possibility of a passed ball or worse, an injury to Salty (or Tek).  Maybe they need to start a system where the pitcher gives the catcher the signals.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves : Softy, I've got to tell you that it really pisses me off when you attempt to hijack a thread I started to tell us for the umpteenth time your views on Wake.  I know you probably don't care what I think, and you'll probably respond with an insult, but I'm telling you anyway.  It is so tiresome, man.  Please take note of the subject line of this thread.  It is "Aceves."  It is not "Wakefield."  I posed a question, to wit, whether any other posters are concerned with Aceves' behavior spoken of by Gammons.  I welcome your view on this matter if you are so inclined to speak of Aceves without your customary Wakefield digs.  If you have no interest in discussing said subject, then please take your act elsewhere.  I am trying very hard to be civil about this.   
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Compared to Softy (deadred), Aceves seems rather stable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I posed a question, to wit, whether any other posters are concerned with Aceves' behavior spoken of by Gammons.  I welcome your view on this matter if you are so inclined to speak of Aceves without your customary Wakefield digs. 

I can't speak for Softlaw, but it would appear you are unable to see the bigotry of Gammons and yourself. There isn't any behavioral problem with Aceves. Lowrie has a behavioral problem you need to concern yourself with. Ellsbury pulling off a catchable ball, to avoid being unable to brace himself with a padded wall, is a behavioral problem you and Pete need to be concerned with.

This thread wasn't about a discussion. It was about Gammons' bigotry and your own attempt to smear Aceves' character.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I realize that the Sox knew they were getting a loose cannon when they signed Aceves.  My concern with this particular situation, though, is that if Salty doesn't know what's coming, there is an increased possibility of a passed ball or worse, an injury to Salty (or Tek).  Maybe they need to start a system where the pitcher gives the catcher the signals.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Don't laugh, Joel. I've done it before. It was out of necessity at the time.
    It's not that hard to do. What might be more plausible is for a pitcher to call some of his pitches. For example, Aceves basically has 3 pitches. So, if Salty calls for the breaking stuff and Aceves still looks in (i.e.  shakes him off), that means the heat is coming. This would help induce a better rhythm.
    There are plenty of ways to get sign language across.

The only problem is location. A pitcher might like the type of pitch being called for, but not where the catcher wants it. Still, location mix-up is minor, unless it results in a hit. Working with one catcher over time can create a bond of trust.
    And makes for better communication. I was a bit surprised Salty caught Aceves.
    I figured Tito would stay with Tek, and Salty would have caught Lackey.

I think you'll likely see him pairing Tek with Miller, Aceves (when he starts), & Beckett between now and the AS break.

It's all about communication.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no way lackey goes to the pen when buch comes back but it will be interesting to see what the sox do if miller is pitching well. Do they keep him in the rotation or wake. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

GREAT DECISION BY CASHMAN TO LET ACEVES GO

HE WILL EITHER BREAK HIS BACK OR BE SUSPENEDE FOR HIT BATTERS BEFOER END OF YEAR

SO SELFISH

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Aceves:
    [QUOTE]While scanning these boards for something other than Gonzalez to the OF, Drew is a bust, and DFA Cam and DMac threads, I found this tidbit on a different subject which may be worth discussing.  EdithBunker started a thread yesterday about Peter Gammons' most recent comments on WEEI's Mut and Merloni show.  That thread appears to be focusing mainly on Lowrie's injury, but it was the following comment that jumped out at me and seems worthy of its own thread: “Aceves as a starter is an adventure ... Saltalamacchia had no idea what was coming. He would put down a sign, and [Aceves] would throw whatever he wanted to throw.” Does anyone else think this is a cause for concern?  
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Jason should probably catch Aceves a few times and address this with him.  It could hurt, or make him a much better pitcher if Aceves does in fact have trust issues with our catchers.  Salty is probably not the guy to address this with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]While I understand the need for good communication between P & C ...  I think we understood Alfredo was a bit flighty. Which, btw, normally doesn't bother me.  Brings a little colour ro the game. When it gets out of control, that's different.   Bill Lee  Mark Fydrich  Goose  Oil Can  ... shot list ...    never a dull moment.   Heck, even Pedro.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]  HOW ABOUT A STANDARD DRUG TEST ???   NOT EVEN IN T-BALL CAN YOU WALK 5 IN A ROW !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Aceves looks great as a starter, even if he does shake off too may pitches ... it is just that the Sox need him more in the pen, to come into games and pitch lights out for a few innings, to put out fires, etc.

Wake can't do that.

And why is being a reliever such a bad thing?  There is a general attitude that Aceves to the pen is a demotion.  Aren't we trying to win games?   Aceves was awesome in the pen, the Sox have a weak sopt there that he fills.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You can keep clinging to your specific time frame to bash Wake

You keep clinging to your specific time frame to air brush Wastefield.

No, I just gave you 4 different time frames: this year, 2009-2011, 2008-2011, and 2007-2011. Try reading my posy before responding to it.

The last time you claimed I was wrong on Lowrie going down, Lowrie went down a few days later.

You keep clinging to this bare-faced lie. Show me the quote. I never said anything remotely like it.

Wastefield has not been a fit active roster member this year. He's just recently been put in an every 5 days starter's role. 

He has started 5 straight (in a 29 day window) and has 8 starts since May 1st (50 day window). Soon he will be at 9 starts in 52 days. How's Dice-K's iron man status working out for you?

While you pretend his 10 homers and ERA do not reflect the quality of his season long active roster performance, you are going to pretend that allocating the Wastefield innings to younger pitchers would yield lesser results.

No, 10 HRs in 2011 is awful and is the downfall of most knuckleballers. His ERA in the same time frame as your 10Hr frame is very good for a 5/6 starter. It is you who are pretending we are saying he should be putting up #1 starter numbers.

I predict disaster for Wastefield, this year, just like the disaster he's been since the last half of 2009. A 4.26 ERA and 10 homers in few innings is not exactly a body of work to instill confidence in the 44 year old pot bellied man.

I don't care if he had 15 HRs if his ERA was still 4.26 and 4.14 as a starter.
    You refuse to look at the fact that Wake has had a much much larger percent his immediate relievers allowing the inherited runners to score, several runs have scored on cheap infield hits, JD dropped an easy fly ball for a run, and 2 runs scored when you "buddy" took the wrong route on a fly ball that went for a double. I am cewrtain if these runs were allowed by Dice-K and Oki, your apologist side would be out in full force. The cheap runs certainly mitigate the HR runs allowed.

Anyone claiming they have confidence in Wastefield as a starter is not being honest. Wastefield's implosion is as sure as the sun rising, as it is a modus operendi of an old fat guy throwing a goofball launching pad pitch.

I have often said I do not think Wake should pitch more than about 140 IP. You keep thinking I am and have claimed he is a 33 start pitcher the past 2 years. I have not. I never was one of the guys on this site who wanted Wake to start over Dice-K last year or this year. You know it, but deliberately misrepresent my position. I ONLY WANTED WAKE TO START FOR DICE_K LAST MAY. Get it? Unlike you, I recognize a player's injury and the need to recover. Dice-K was rushed back and it back-fired (7.89 ERA in the 4 starts I would have had him rehabbing or earning his way back in relief or mop-up duty.)

Wake has 52 IP since May 1st. Yes, it is possible he breaks down his next start and never pitches again. Even if that happens, he was worth having on the roster and worth his contract this year. He is now over his injury and his "modu operendi" over his career and every year since 2007, except last year (when Tito jerked him back and forth 10 times) is to give many solid starts per year, helping us reach the playoffs, and then, like all 5/6th starters, diferring to the higher slot pitchers to carry the load in the playoffs. I don't see many other team's 5/6th starters carrying their teams through the end of their seasons. Apperently that's what you expect from a #5 or 6 guy.

You want to discount how being jerked from reliever to starter can effect a pitcher, how getting 10 days off then being told you are starting just a few hours before the game effects a pitcher, and how back surgery can effect a player shortly after returning. Look how well Aceves did after a long time off.

Wake has done much better than you said he would. We know it. You deny it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 7/21/2007
    Last: 6/24/2011
    betterignoredthanread.

bring on the dancing clowns

Priceless!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE] I posed a question, to wit, whether any other posters are concerned with Aceves' behavior spoken of by Gammons.  I welcome your view on this matter if you are so inclined to speak of Aceves without your customary Wakefield digs.   I can't speak for Softlaw, but it would appear you are unable to see the bigotry of Gammons and yourself. There isn't any behavioral problem with Aceves. Lowrie has a behavioral problem you need to concern yourself with. Ellsbury pulling off a catchable ball, to avoid being unable to brace himself with a padded wall, is a behavioral problem you and Pete need to be concerned with. This thread wasn't about a discussion. It was about Gammons' bigotry and your own attempt to smear Aceves' character.

How dare you have the audacity to tell me what my thread is about?  You're calling me a bigot?  You, sir, are rude, insensitive, and inappropriate.  You come here for the sole purpose of inciting others.  I have finally reached the tipping point with you.  I will no longer read any of your posts.  When you show up in your new incarnation, I will hit the ignore button on that one, too.  I am begging other posters to not respond to this guy anymore so that I can avoid his inanities completely.  Moon, you're a real trooper for your patience and willingness to respond intelligently to him, but you are no more likely to change his thinking than Sisyphus was to stop that rock from rolling back down the hill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

This thread is about Gammons' feeding the bigotry towards Aceves. Aceves isn't "crazy" or "a head case" or "conduct issue". 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]This thread is about Gammons' feeding the bigotry towards Aceves. Aceves isn't "crazy" or "a head case" or "conduct issue". 

why is this trash still here?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I agree, why is Peter still here?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Aceves looks great as a starter, even if he does shake off too may pitches ... it is just that the Sox need him more in the pen, to come into games and pitch lights out for a few innings, to put out fires, etc. Wake can't do that. And why is being a reliever such a bad thing?  There is a general attitude that Aceves to the pen is a demotion.  Aren't we trying to win games?   Aceves was awesome in the pen, the Sox have a weak sopt there that he fills.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

To fans, UR right. Pitching is pitching. They should go where the need is.
    To pitchers, they are motivated to be starters. It's more prestigious and more $$$.

As for putting out fires, neither Aceves nor Wake excels there. Aceves isn't dependable coming in and getting immediate outs in critical situations.
    He's already shown this to be true.

Wake is not put into such a role. He was once, years back, pre-Tito, and was a decent closer.
    But Tito won't use him in the closer/set-up role.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Joel: All is not lost. You are a wonderful tune-smith. And I'm willing to bet Softy may give you some terrific creative motivation.  Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In fact, it makes me think of a sequel to an Eastwood flic:
    The OUTLAW SOFTY WALES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvf8r3cX3vo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, you're a real trooper for your patience and willingness to respond intelligently to him, but you are no more likely to change his thinking than Sisyphus was to stop that rock from rolling back down the hill.

Ignoring absurdity, lies, hatefulness, and bigotry is worse than rock rolling.

His antics have become so absurd recently as nearly all the players he hates are doing very well, while all his favorites are not even on the active roster anymore.