Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Aceves

Is Aceves the best pick up ever? He's been such a great addition to the team. The only time I saw him struggling was when the sweat was dripping down off his cap in front of his eyes. I still think there should be something they can do about that in 2011. I don't get it.

I can't count how many games I'm thinking "bring Aceves in". I didn't even know who this guy was when he was with the Yankees. I don't know what his record is, but I think he's saved a lot of games for us. He's going to be awesome in the post-season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Aceves

Tito is in the process of over-using him. Miller should have pitched longer today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves:
    Tito is in the process of over-using him. Miller should have pitched longer today.
    Posted by BurritoT

I agree. I thought some of Miller's "balls" were "strikes" as well. I do think, though, it's not bad to keep it a positive in his case, and in that circumstance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

At 82 IP this is by far a career high for him at this point in a season as a relief pitcher.  I hope he stays healthy for the stretch run and the postseason because he has arguably been the MVP of the pitching staff this season!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Too bad Aceves sat in AAA during a chunk of the terrible start, so Wakefield could sit on the bench.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : I agree. I thought some of Miller's "balls" were "strikes" as well. I do think, though, it's not bad to keep it a positive in his case, and in that circumstance.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

It sounds like the Yankees recently posted the umpire's dividend residuals, and just in the nick of time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Too bad Aceves sat in AAA during a chunk of the terrible start, so Wakefield could sit on the bench.
    Posted by softylaw

Is every thread about Wakefield? Talk about an agenda.

Aceves has been great. Too bad we don't have two of him, so one could start. He did a good job in that role also.

He's a double whammy. We have him and the yanks don't. He could be doing this for them, if they didn't give up on him after his injury. He's a low cost addition also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

At 82 IP this is by far a career high for him at this point in a season as a relief pitcher.  I hope he stays healthy for the stretch run and the postseason because he has arguably been the MVP of the pitching staff this season!
    Posted by william93063

Aceves also has 8 IP at AAA for a total of 90.  In 2009 he had 84 IP for NYY plus 23 at AAA for a total of 107.

I would expect that they set an innings max for him this year and that Tito is on target with it.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Miller's last start was three weeks ago, so it's hard to be sure how long to keep him in.  On top of that, you can never be sure whether he still has command of his pitches.  So, while it's possible he could have finished the 6th, Terry was also trying to win the game.  By using Aceves for the final 3.2 innings, he kept Papelbon, Bard, Wheeler, Albers, and Morales rested for the next two games. 

Aceves is having a good year, no doubt--all the more amazing because he is the proverbial long reliever, hardly a distinguished role, but Aceves has made it so. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Definitely the second-best pickup this year behind the obvious. He has been outstanding. (Need to get the guy a drip-free cap, but that's another matter). Other than Paps and Bard, he's the guy out of the pen I most want in there.

As for Tito should have gone with Miller longer, I disagree. It was his first extensive work since July 31, and he had struggled with the first two hitters. Better to get him out while he's still feeling good about himself rather than risk a two-run jack to make it a 5-3 game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Posted by BurritoT

Francona has to start thinking about spreading out the relief innings of Aceves and all others in the bullpen.     It's still only August and another whole month of September to go before the playoffs.    Overuse of the bullpen can come back to bite.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Posted by softylaw

Yawn!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

this guy is easy to sum up. Aceves = $$$$$$$!
    nuff said.

Hi Kimmi! how can you be pike? very curious thing for someone to suggest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You can thank Cashman for the gift.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Kim is not Pike. The contingent of Babe, Yazzer, and Mikey just want everyone to think so. Red Sox fans could make similar accusations that the above trio are also one poster but they don't play that game.

Aceves and Miller - put a feather into Theo's hat. Funny to hear the concerns about overuse of the bullpen. Always something to worry about for the armchair managers instead of trying to enjoy the moment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : Is every thread about Wakefield? Talk about an agenda. Aceves has been great. Too bad we don't have two of him, so one could start. He did a good job in that role also. He's a double whammy. We have him and the yanks don't. He could be doing this for them, if they didn't give up on him after his injury. He's a low cost addition also.
    Posted by MikeNagy

Why couldn't they have made him a starting pitcher and found additions to the bullpen?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

Kim is not Pike. The contingent of Babe, Yazzer, and Mikey just want everyone to think so. Red Sox fans could make similar accusations that the above trio are also one poster but they don't play that game. Aceves and Miller - put a feather into Theo's hat. Funny to hear the concerns about overuse of the bullpen. Always something to worry about for the armchair managers instead of trying to enjoy the moment.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

What??  You are Pike & Kim and Pawsoxphil.  In regard to overuse of bullpens/relief pitchers......its not a bogus concern and you shouldn't judge someone who writes that because you and your alter egos think of that as a "concern troll" right away.  Its a real issue and something to keep an eye on but you're too worried about being the police of the forum than actual baseball stuff.  As for Aceves he is an effective pitcher, I always liked him when he was with the Yanks, he was a good pickup for the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from .>The-Babe<.. Show .>The-Babe<.'s posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : What??  You are Pike & Kim and Pawsoxphil.  In regard to overuse of bullpens/relief pitchers......its not a bogus concern and you shouldn't judge someone who writes that because you and your alter egos think of that as a "concern troll" right away.  Its a real issue and something to keep an eye on but you're too worried about being the police of the forum than actual baseball stuff.  As for Aceves he is an effective pitcher, I always liked him when he was with the Yanks, he was a good pickup for the Sox.

Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

Bingo!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

It is harder to find a guy who can come out of the bullpen and shut it down for two innings than a starter ... Aceves is worth much more in the pen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

It is harder to find a guy who can come out of the bullpen and shut it down for two innings than a starter ... Aceves is worth much more in the pen.
    Posted by soxmeister

Your probably right.  I always thought he would be a great starting pitcher, but he is probably more valuable out of the bullpen.  He has been a great addition to the  Red Sox this year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : Aceves also has 8 IP at AAA for a total of 90.  In 2009 he had 84 IP for NYY plus 23 at AAA for a total of 107. I would expect that they set an innings max for him this year and that Tito is on target with it.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I wouldn't be to concerned about over working Aceves, last night was the first time in August that he pitched more than an inning and a third, his total innings for the month of August to date is only 9 (24 since the AS break)...pre break he totaled 58 innings with four starts accounting for 21 of his 58.

He's made 39 appearances pitched 82.1 innings...if we subtract the starts and innings he pitched in May when he started that gives him 35 relief apperances with 61 innings pitched or about 2 innings per appearance...which is about the norm for a middle reliver in the Sox pen...to me the critical number is how many appearances a reliever makes and how often do they get up in the pen...Aceves has only pitched back to back days 3 times all year...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/29223/alfredo-aceves

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : What??  You are Pike & Kim and Pawsoxphil.  In regard to overuse of bullpens/relief pitchers......its not a bogus concern and you shouldn't judge someone who writes that because you and your alter egos think of that as a "concern troll" right away.  Its a real issue and something to keep an eye on but you're too worried about being the police of the forum than actual baseball stuff.  As for Aceves he is an effective pitcher, I always liked him when he was with the Yanks, he was a good pickup for the Sox.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

I wan't calling Diamondtalk a concern troll. His post history never showed that to be true. Yo are putting words into my mouth. There is nothing wrong with expressing a concern once in awhile but when someone does it on 99 posts out of 100, that raises a red flag.  One needs to ascertain what is continual, perpetual, and chronic behavior before you label or characterize anyone. Bosox1941 is completely predictable and the forum has him labeled. This isn't rocket science.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Thanks to the cash man we have a real winner in that pen

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

In Response to Re: Aceves : I wan't calling Diamondtalk a concern troll. His post history never showed that to be true. Yo are putting words into my mouth. There is nothing wrong with expressing a concern once in awhile but when someone does it on 99 posts out of 100, that raises a red flag.  One needs to ascertain what is continual, perpetual, and chronic behavior before you label or characterize anyone. Bosox1941 is completely predictable and the forum has him labeled. This isn't rocket science.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

you often question anyones motive that expresses some sort concern, thats what it predictable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Lettting Aceves go was a big mistake by NY

Sections
Shortcuts