Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Re: Aceves

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Please Ben, get Aceves out of town.  The guy is going to be a problem.  Last night it was pretty clear that he was just going through the motions.  Luckily, the Sox had a six run lead.  This team might actually have a chance to surprise this year but a guy like Aceves can cause a lot of problems in the clubhouse and on the field.

So you watched him pitch one game, his first in 2013, on television, where he faced 4 (four) batters, 13 pitches (10 strikes) and you are ready to give up on him?

Brilliant.

Throwing strikes makes him good?  When you throw meatball fastballs on a platter for Wells that doesn't make him good.  He needs to go.  He will not be on the team long.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Please Ben, get Aceves out of town.  The guy is going to be a problem.  Last night it was pretty clear that he was just going through the motions.  Luckily, the Sox had a six run lead.  This team might actually have a chance to surprise this year but a guy like Aceves can cause a lot of problems in the clubhouse and on the field.

So you watched him pitch one game, his first in 2013, on television, where he faced 4 (four) batters, 13 pitches (10 strikes) and you are ready to give up on him?

Brilliant.

No, I watched him last year, in spring trainingperson in person the other night.  He is an idiot and has to go.

So you saw him last year on your television machine....along with thousands of other people saw him pitch in a practice game the other night....and you think that makes you an expert?  That's nonsense, sorry....that's what every yahoo thinks...

It seems obvious to me that the guy has loads of talent.....it seems obvious to me that he's a bit highly strung.  But are managers/coaches paid to manage/coach the Birds, the Johnsons, the Bourques, the Russells....or to get the best out of the more mercurial talents?

Not to mention the absurdity of the "sell low" stance i.e. "This guy is rubbish!  He's a total liability!  Let's trade him for Babe Ruth!"

One game, 13 pitches, 10 strikes, bit of a head case for sure....but don't throw him under the bus so quickly......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Brilliant.

I based my assessment largely on Alfredo Aceves' previous 84 innings.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Aceves isn't much of a closer, we now know, but is a pretty good long reliever.  He has a good array of pitches.  Way too soon to dump him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

it appears a few  posters are drinking from the same trough as mr. bill. that's alarming.

In your case, it might be educational !!!     NO Charge !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Brilliant.

Hill - You may be right, but 84 innings?  A guy still relatively young that was pretty dominant through 2011?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Brilliant.

Hill - You may be right, but 84 innings?  A guy still relatively young that was pretty dominant through 2011? 

Those 84 innnings in 2012 represent more than a quarter of the 324.2 career MLB innings for 30-year-old Alfredo Aceves.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Brilliant.

Those 84 innnings in 2012 represent more than a quarter of the 324.2 career MLB innings for 30-year-old Alfredo Aceves.

They do indeed.  But the previous 75% of his MLB innings were of extremely high value so given his relatively young age, his apparent health, the disfunctional nature of the 2012 Red Sox and Aceves' seemingly volatile character my preference is for the Sox to find a way to get him back to his best rather than throw in the towel.  I bet you do too, am I right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Brilliant.

Throwing strikes makes him good?  When you throw meatball fastballs on a platter for Wells that doesn't make him good.  He needs to go.  He will not be on the team long.

You are, of course, correct re my comment about 10 strikes out of 13.  Silly, thoughtless comment by me.  But the rest I stand by:  1 game, 4 batters, 13 pitches, a once elite reliever (through 2011) should not be sold low....manage the guy, don't trash him because he's not like the other children......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Brilliant.

You are, of course, correct re my comment about 10 strikes out of 13.  Silly, thoughtless comment by me.  But the rest I stand by:  1 game, 4 batters, 13 pitches, a once elite reliever (through 2011) should not be sold low....manage the guy, don't trash him because he's not like the other children......

He is not going to be happy being a mop up man.  Farrell will not trust him in close game.  He wants to be a starter so unless that happens soon the complaints will be coming from Ace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Brilliant.

He is not going to be happy being a mop up man.  Farrell will not trust him in close game.  He wants to be a starter so unless that happens soon the complaints will be coming from Ace.

You might be right.  But if he can be sorted out he'll be a huge asset.  Why give up now?  Why sell low?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

After one game and serving up one ball in Wells' wheelhouse--you must be saying the same thing about Taz after he gave up the homerun last night to Reyes. Or Mort's pitch to Cervelli. I think we all forget these people are human. How many times last night did Remy say, then it was mentioned again in the post game by Eck, balls were missing their targets; it's game 4 of the season.

Before he is driven out of town Aceves will pitch a few gems in long relief and yes during those gems he will give up some hits. The opposition isn't "chopped liver"---there is a reason they are in the major leagues--why both Reyes and Wells are paid handsomely. Wells has been paid $89 M with another $42 M scheduled in the next two years.

Ace has rec. about $2.7 M with $2.6 M his pay for 2013--- For all you bean counters his salary is not bad for what he has done for this team the last couple of years. Sacrificing for the team and taking on the closers role last year and long relief this year when he wants to be a starting pitcher--I haven't heard him crying when, for the second year, he has taken on an important role for the team, even though it's not the role he feels he's capable of and that might qualify him for a better payday.

Prior to last year Aceves record was 24-3 with about a 3 ERA. After a disastrous year with the lightning rod, BobbyV, he dropped to 26-13 and a 3.6 ERA. I'm glad Ace is with the Sox and I hope he continues to  be with the Sox. I would certainly trust him more than Mort and Doubrount.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

No, Tazawa can pitch and he is no problem.  I never sais Aceves isn' t talented, he is just a bad attitude.  And don't blames his performance last year on Bobby V.  He gave him every chance to be the closer. Ace p@&&@@ it away.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Well, it looks like Aceves is now the fifth starter.  I feel bad for Lackey.  He worked hard to come back but this injury looks bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

After one game and serving up one ball in Wells' wheelhouse--you must be saying the same thing about Taz after he gave up the homerun last night to Reyes. Or Mort's pitch to Cervelli. I think we all forget these people are human. How many times last night did Remy say, then it was mentioned again in the post game by Eck, balls were missing their targets; it's game 4 of the season.

Before he is driven out of town Aceves will pitch a few gems in long relief and yes during those gems he will give up some hits. The opposition isn't "chopped liver"---there is a reason they are in the major leagues--why both Reyes and Wells are paid handsomely. Wells has been paid $89 M with another $42 M scheduled in the next two years.

Ace has rec. about $2.7 M with $2.6 M his pay for 2013--- For all you bean counters his salary is not bad for what he has done for this team the last couple of years. Sacrificing for the team and taking on the closers role last year and long relief this year when he wants to be a starting pitcher--I haven't heard him crying when, for the second year, he has taken on an important role for the team, even though it's not the role he feels he's capable of and that might qualify him for a better payday.

Prior to last year Aceves record was 24-3 with about a 3 ERA. After a disastrous year with the lightning rod, BobbyV, he dropped to 26-13 and a 3.6 ERA. I'm glad Ace is with the Sox and I hope he continues to  be with the Sox. I would certainly trust him more than Mort and Doubrount.

How are you liking Aceves now?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

And this is based on one bad inning?  Not for nothing, but some of you people are ill-equipped to deal with the vagaries of life.

Another sample size today.  Two appearances, two bombs.  How do you like him now?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

How are you liking Aceves now?

I think that we have seen the last of one Alfredo ACEVES, sooooooner, rather than later , I hope !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Brilliant.

How do you like him now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I wonder how interested other teams would be in Alfredo Aceves?

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/318477807002976256

I suspect the Red Sox will keeping trotting Aceves out there or send Aceves to the minors to working on his issues.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I wonder how interested other teams would be in Alfredo Aceves?

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/318477807002976256

I suspect the Red Sox will keeping trotting Aceves out there or send Aceves to the minors to working on his issues.

His VALUE is falling faster than the "BIG O"  !!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

So let me get this straight the fact the Sox had two hits and no run support  today doesn't enter into the loss...

I love it blame Aceves because the Sox lost. Great.  It seems to me he saved two or three pitchers from having to throw in a futile effort.

I'm in hopes Aceves will be given a shot at a rotation spot if Lackey goes to the DL. 

Fortunately no one on this board will determine whether Aceves is demoted or traded.