Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Re: Aceves

In response to MadMc44's comment:

So let me get this straight the fact the Sox had two hits and no run support  today doesn't enter into the loss...

I love it blame Aceves because the Sox lost. Great.  It seems to me he saved two or three pitchers from having to throw in a futile effort.

I'm in hopes Aceves will be given a shot at a rotation spot if Lackey goes to the DL. 

Fortunately no one on this board will determine whether Aceves is demoted or traded.

No one blamed him for the loss, but the fact is, he is not worth keeping.  Trade him for a bucket of balls.  Addition by subtraction!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donhart. Show donhart's posts

Aceves will be DFA'd when Morales and Breslow are ready. Farrell said he wants high character guys in the clubhouse and he just doesn't fit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to donhart's comment:

Aceves will be DFA'd when Morales and Breslow are ready. Farrell said he wants high character guys in the clubhouse and he just doesn't fit.

B I N G O  !!!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Please Ben, get Aceves out of town.  The guy is going to be a problem.  Last night it was pretty clear that he was just going through the motions.  Luckily, the Sox had a six run lead.  This team might actually have a chance to surprise this year but a guy like Aceves can cause a lot of problems in the clubhouse and on the field.

So you watched him pitch one game, his first in 2013, on television, where he faced 4 (four) batters, 13 pitches (10 strikes) and you are ready to give up on him?

Brilliant.

I based my assessment largely on Alfredo Aceves' previous 84 innings.

Hill - You may be right, but 84 innings?  A guy still relatively young that was pretty dominant through 2011? 

Those 84 innnings in 2012 represent more than a quarter of the 324.2 career MLB innings for 30-year-old Alfredo Aceves.

It depends on whether you're sampling to find something wrong, or if you're more interested in forensics.  If you were a bit more discerning, you'd be wondering how much 143 pitch count in 5 days bothered him.

It's like judging Papelbon's 2010 on the end result, without projecting what it would've been without the 48-pitch outing.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

"Deal wit it" sounds like an expression used by our Syracuse troll who has a MEF429 moniker which was banned  earlier this week.  He then got down on his knees and apologized to BDC Dottie and promised that he would be a good boy from then on. Dottie then believed him and reinstated him and he was back the next day.  In his first day back he attacked Dottie and BDC for the moderators being inept and biased. He and J-Bay both attack BDC repeatedly. J-Bay was also banned for a day but then returned since he is the BDC Friday moderator. J-Bay is an insider so watch yourself on Fridays.

LOL

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Splendid Splint--that was about the lamest comment I've seen; definitely not from a Sox fan.

A bucket of balls--not too original. Perhaps make a comment that tells us you recognize talent. Give us comparisons--tell us something--anything. Suggest a trade that makes sense if, in fact, you can get a decent player or prospects in return.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You want to move Aceves after two appearances--DFA or some absurd comment. Check with Tampa or the O's  or the Jays. He's worth nothing? Not one of those teams would pass on him. If he's that bad put him out there.

I love this group of little league GM's who have this fraternal membership that thinks they know something about the inner workings of MLB.  I'm serious now, give this some thought---if you had BenC's ear at this very moment what would you say about moving Aceves? Or what would you tell him that would be so compelling that he would stay listening for more than 10 seconds? 

Ok so...go to Wiki, or the Baseball Reference or Yahoo or ESPN and come back with some stats to keep the Sox GM eye to eye for a few moments that would show him you've done your homework.

Have a good day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You want to move Aceves after two appearances--DFA or some absurd comment. Check with Tampa or the O's  or the Jays. He's worth nothing? Not one of those teams would pass on him. If he's that bad put him out there.

I love this group of little league GM's who have this fraternal membership that thinks they know something about the inner workings of MLB.  I'm serious now, give this some thought---if you had BenC's ear at this very moment what would you say about moving Aceves? Or what would you tell him that would be so compelling that he would stay listening for more than 10 seconds? 

Ok so...go to Wiki, or the Baseball Reference or Yahoo or ESPN and come back with some stats to keep the Sox GM eye to eye for a few moments that would show him you've done your homework.

Have a good day.

I assume you include yourself among "this group of little league GM's who have this fraternal membership that thinks they know something about the inner workings of MLB" if you write that "Not one of those teams would pass on him" in reference to Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Toronto.

I have not relied on Alfredo Aceves' two appearances this season in drawing my conclusion that Aceves has little trade value. I've cited his 2012 performance over 84 innings and his apparent emotional issues.

Aceves has done little since this mid-February tweet to enhance his trade value:

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/303671991238541312

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Sox have kept Aceves because he has been a viable long reliever in the past.  Not a closer and not a starter.  A long reliever.  And a long reliever's job is to save the rest of the bullpen when a starter falters, which is exactly what happened to Lackey yesterday after 4.1 innings when the Sox were down 2-0 and ended up with 0 runs and 2 hits.  So, yes, Aceves gave up that 3 run dinger after 2 walks, which I agree was horrible.  But he also went 3.1 innings and let the rest of the bullpen rest. 

Last year, I agree, was a volatile one, but it's possible (by no means certain) part of the problem was Bobby V. Plus Aceves didn't have the right temperament or pitching style to be a successful closer.   Right now it's still a new chapter and too early to dump Aceves. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Have a good day.

I assume you include yourself among "this group of little league GM's who have this fraternal membership that thinks they know something about the inner workings of MLB" if you write that "Not one of those teams would pass on him" in reference to Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Toronto.

I have not relied on Alfredo Aceves' two appearances this season in drawing my conclusion that Aceves has little trade value. I've cited his 2012 performance over 84 innings and his apparent emotional issues.

Aceves has done little since this mid-February tweet to enhance his trade value:

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/303671991238541312

Yes I am part of that fraternity and so are you. 

I would not pretend to try to tell BenC anything. I think he has done a very good job and has assembled the best team the Sox have based on the talent currently in the system. I will say contrary to what many said I was in agreement with keeping JBJ on the original roster for the same reason-he was one of the top 25. 

In addition Aceves was in that same 25 number--perhaps you have another suggestion from what's in AAA or AA? Or who would you be trading for to replace him. If you are basing your opinion of Aceves on his last 84 innings is that totally credible?

Max thanks for the info about Aceves and your commentary

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Ace has that ERA at 10.38.  They can't trade him for anything but he is not worth the trouble of keeping.  Speaking for all the little league GMs here, I say dump him!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves was one of the best middle/long men in MLB for 2-3 years.

They messed him and Bard up last year by changing their roles. I still have hope both can regain their skills. I was never for making Aceves a starter either, but with Lackey out, I think he's our best option. I'd be OK with Webster as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Aceves isn't going anywhere, soon. According to Peter Abraham, Farrell announced he will fill Lackeys spot, in the rotation

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslave and j-bay, you are both right, but I am surprised Aceves will get the start. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He's a bum. Bad attitude, not needed. They thought they could rehabilitate this bum. Ha.

Sections
Shortcuts