Add Aviles to the List of "In the Dumpster" Solid HItting Red Sox SS Who Deserved to Start

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: Add Aviles to the List of

Mike Aviles has value as a utility player. He can play 2nd-Short and Third as well as a little OF. He can get you some hits and has decent power for a bench player. Not that I have said that, No he wasn't a starting Shortstop and is replaceable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The puffery with Lowrie, who one poster called "an elite MLB AS SS", to Aviles and "huge surprise last spring" bandwagon on this board.

Party time, the Red Sox unloaded a bum! Good riddance, Mike Aviles!!!!!!!!!!! You butcher with a single A OBP!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Guys like Iggy, Salty and Aviles only have value in a back up role, or late game defense in the case of Iggy at the moment.  If we can't get on base we certainly can't score many runs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Mike Aviles was a plus defender and provided solid offense. A good guy in the club house. He will be missed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Amazing how some go straight for the negative!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Softlaw, I do not get it...This guy was a solid player with a good bat and better offense than many detractors like myself thought...I think the Red Sox gave up a bit too much here, even though Farrell is a great choice...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Softlaw, I do not get it...This guy was a solid player with a good bat and better offense than many detractors like myself thought...I think the Red Sox gave up a bit too much here, even though Farrell is a great choice...

It's just more me me me look at meeee bs from softhead.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Agree, Aviles Will Be Missed, IGGY Good With The Glove, Cant Hit For Crap, Plain And Simple..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

The puffery with Lowrie, who one poster called "an elite MLB AS SS", to Aviles and "huge surprise last spring" bandwagon on this board.

Party time, the Red Sox unloaded a bum! Good riddance, Mike Aviles!!!!!!!!!!! You butcher with a single A OBP!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

More drivel from the leader of the trolls. Looks like everyone is tired of your "clown act". 

Hetch

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Don't like giving up " compensation " for Farrell, but it is better to give up Aviles than a legitimate prospect.   Aviles had no future role on the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Mike Aviles was a plus defender and provided solid offense

Aviles was a butcher starting SS with a single A OBP. He had no business ever starting at SS for the Red Sox. I knew it, the bum's now in the dumpster where he came from.

[/QUOTE]

softy called Scutaro a "dumpster dive" and "butcher" as well, but now he's still crying about the trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Aviles was a butcher starting SS with a single A OBP. He had no business ever starting at SS for the Red Sox. I knew it, the bum's now in the dumpster where he came from.

[/QUOTE]

Actually according to most defensive metrics he was above average. His offensive number overall were pretty good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually according to most defensive metrics he was above average. His offensive number overall were pretty good.

[/QUOTE]

Admitting this would mean he'd have to admit he was wrong: never going to happen.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IGGY will be our starting ss and will make the pitching staff look gooooood !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

I respect your opinion but Iggy has not proven he can hit Major League pitching on any level yet. I know you can argue it's a small sample but Iggy hit .118 in 25 games with the Sox with only one BB every fifteen at bats. He shows little patience at the plate with no pop in his bat. Defensively he is unquestionably more than ready but in the line up he's an automatic out. 

Hetchinspete

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Silly question Trot if the numbers for Aviles and Lowery are almost identical for their careers why do you see one so much greater than the other?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

kill on ells for prone to injuries and wax poetic about jed who is just as prone.

SMH.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Don’t know whether Mike Aviles will find anything more than a utility role with a Major League club in 2013, but I suspect that he will remain a hard working, well-liked and respected teammate wherever he lands.  If he rediscovers the hitting stroke he had with Kansas City in 2008 and 2010 and during his time with the Red Sox in 2011 and the first month of the 2012 season, he could wind up starting for Toronto, unless they took him only to use as trade bait during the off-season.

The Blue Jays seem to be set at short, second and third, unless they unload either Yunel Escobar because of his disrespectful conduct or his $5,000,000 salary in 2013, or Adeinny Hechavarria (eight years younger than Aviles and not likely to make more than about $450,000 if he makes the club in 2013).  Hechavarria was brought up this past season to test at the infield positions, and he could start at short (if Escobar is traded) or second in 2013.  Brett Lawrie appears to be set at third.

One advantage that Aviles will have in sticking with Toronto as a utility infielder is that he’ll likely earn substantially less in salary than free agent Kelly Johnson, the Blue Jays’ starter at second in 2012 who was paid $6,380,000 for 2012.  One disadvantage he might have will be playing home games on the Rogers Centre's AstroTurf surface and that will not be as friendly as Fenway's grass surface.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Toronto is getting Mike Aviles at roughly the same age the Blue Jays got Marco Scutaro following the 2007 season. Here are the career numbers for each 5-foot-10, righthand-hitting infielder at the time of Toronto's acquisition:

07 MS 1831 PA, .259/.320/.384/.704, 3.1 WAR*

12 MA 1871 PA, .277/.308/.408/.715, 7.3 WAR

Scutaro posted a .275/.362/.384/.746 line and 7.4 WAR in 1,272 plate appearances during his two years in Toronto before signing a three-year, $16 million contract with the Red Sox.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

hill55:  Interesting facts about the Scutaro/Aviles comparison for Toronto.  Maybe Toronto really has plans to unload Yunel Escobar after his tasteless eyeblack tape incident and let Aviles start at short or second.  Aviles will command a much lower salary than Escobar in 2013, so that alone could be enough motivation for them to trade Escobar.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

I wouldn't trade a player for an unproven manager. Farrell make end up being good, who knows. But why knock Aviles, he did a good job last year. He is not a great player, but is useful.

He played up to expectations last year. Just because he is leaving is no reason to ciriticize a guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

though he might have gotten dealt eventually(not that i know) i thought the Sox were finally going to shut down their SS merry go round...

Sections
Shortcuts