Add Aviles to the List of "In the Dumpster" Solid HItting Red Sox SS Who Deserved to Start

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Add Aviles to the List of

I was hoping we'd trade Aviles and others to Oakland (a team that tried to get Mike at the deadline) for Brett Anderson.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

softy, like most of his wing-nut brethren, hate facts and ignore them.

[/QUOTE]

He just simply hates

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I Agree, Aviles Will Be Missed, IGGY Good With The Glove, Cant Hit For Crap, Plain And Simple..

[/QUOTE]

Aviles will be missed because being used as a utility jack-of-all-trades in the infield and outfield, he could be a good addition to our 2013 team.  However, he was not used as that because of our injuries and poor play so he was never in the spot where his usefulness could be an asset  Now we face the irritating prospect of having perhaps the worst hitter in baseball playing SS for us next year.  Small sample size or not, you could see with your own eyes that Iglesias simply could not hit worth a damn and while some of you think he will get better, I don't think he will get that much better that we can carry him in the lineup unless we have a "Murderer's Row" type of batting order next season......and how many of us think that we will?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I Agree, Aviles Will Be Missed, IGGY Good With The Glove, Cant Hit For Crap, Plain And Simple..

[/QUOTE]

Aviles will be missed because being used as a utility jack-of-all-trades in the infield and outfield, he could be a good addition to our 2013 team.  However, he was not used as that because of our injuries and poor play so he was never in the spot where his usefulness could be an asset  Now we face the irritating prospect of having perhaps the worst hitter in baseball playing SS for us next year.  Small sample size or not, you could see with your own eyes that Iglesias simply could not hit worth a damn and while some of you think he will get better, I don't think he will get that much better that we can carry him in the lineup unless we have a "Murderer's Row" type of batting order next season......and how many of us think that we will?

[/QUOTE]

You mean you, pumpsie and the other idiots did not have a dumb nick-name for him.

[/QUOTE]

You finally crawl out of your hole LOSER?  I wondered when you would come out of your sewer. Try adding something to the dialogue for a change.  You don't have to keep on showing what an moron you are.  We all know it by now.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No metrics of any substance shows that Aviles was an above average fielding SS. As for his hitting, who cares with his single A OBP. He was giving up more runs, in spades, than he was ever producing.

Softlaw told me that Iglesias could hit zero and provide more production than Aviles because of what SS is all about. Softlaw is correct.

[/QUOTE]

You realize just repeating something doesn't make it right. Going from Aviles to Iglesias is a big drop in production.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/qa-mike-aviles-a-good-defensive-shortstop/

“Mike Aviles had a great season from a defensive perspective. His 14 Defensive Runs Saved was tied for fifth among all shortstops in 2012. This was a mild surprise, given that Aviles doesn’t have a widespread reputation as a defender. However, he has spent only one other season as a regular shortstop, 2008, when he also saved 14 runs defensively. He did have a disappointing 2010 season at second base with -8 Defensive Runs Saved. All in all, Aviles was a pleasant surprise defensively for the Red Sox.”

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Aviles "He was what we thought he was" a good utility player thats all and if RS are right about Farrell [and lets hope they are] this could turn out to be one of the best trades ever for RS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No metrics of any substance shows that Aviles was an above average fielding SS. 

Every metric showed he was better than average. Show us one that didn't. Tell us which one you think has "any substance".

Here's a stat, not a metric: Aviles finished 8th in RF/9 at SS at 4.68. This is the area that Sox SSs have struggled in for years. The area you have bashed since Lugo's "wire to wire" 2007 season.

Scutaro:

2011: 4.03

2010: 3.83

Lowrie:

2011: 3.87

2010: 3.67

N Green 

2010: 4.22

Gonzo:

2010: 3.94

Lugo:

2009: 3.33

2008: 3.70

2007: 4.21

Wake up and smell the coffee. Mike did a decent job at SS this year on defense. Admit it and move on.

While your at it, admit that when we signed Marco, you called Scutaro a "dumpster dive", a "journeyman utility IF'er", and a "horrible fielding SS". Now, you cry over trading him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Aviles, as opposed to a true defensive everyday career SS, gave up way more runs than he ever prevented. Aviles returned to a dumpster for a reason. He was not a pleasant surprise defensively, he was a poor range career UIF'er with the OBP of a minor leaguer. Bottom line, the Red Sox got rid of him and kept the other internal options they could have sent intread of taking Aviles out with the trash.

[/QUOTE]

How can you keep arguing against fact? Are you allegric to knowledge? You sound like you favorite politician saying Libya was a protest about a film no one saw.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Every metric showed he was better than average.

They have zero substance if they proport to claim he was above average. He was terrible, as I've been following baseball for over 50 years. He went back in a dumpster for a reason. You were on the early spring bandwagon for the bum, so it's no surprise that you pull the Tim Wastefield's a good #5 starter according to garp's stat webstie.

It was a huge mistake to sign Scutaro to a 2 year deal to be an everyday SS, and an even bigger one to then throw in the dumpster. Scutaro is a 2nd baseman, and always has been. Wrong fit, but once the incompetent move was made and the money was spent, they needed to keep Scutaro until the end of that contract, using him to play part-time SS, 3B and 2B.

Now, in 2012, I said to go with Iglesias. In 2013, they are all set with Iglesias and Ciriaco and Pedroia for the middle infield. They are incompetent so I expect further hysteria moves that are the most incompetent in all of MLB.

You are also incompetent, and will not provide details for 2013. To expose you, if you fail to provide your starting SS and UIF'er for the 2013 Red Sox, I'll file that with your nonsense about a shotgun approach to several multi-year high base starting pitcher FA pipe dreams you have.

[/QUOTE]

You can't even believe yourself. You have not one stat that backs you up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

No metrics of any substance shows that Aviles was an above average fielding SS. As for his hitting, who cares with his single A OBP. He was giving up more runs, in spades, than he was ever producing.

Softlaw told me that Iglesias could hit zero and provide more production than Aviles because of what SS is all about. Softlaw is correct.

[/QUOTE]

What a maroon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softlaw never called Scutaro a dumpster dive...

You called him this and much much worse.

You said he was a horrible fielder, overpaid, and past his prime. You called him a "jouneyman utility IF'er" and "union slug". When he got hurt, you mercilessly bashed him. You went hard after harness for defending Marco's low numbers that he attributed to playing through injuries and being overused by Tito. You are flopping harder than Mitt last night agreeing with everything Obama has done abroad.

His 2012 salary was just as high as 2010, he was 2 years older, but now you say it was a mistake we dealt him for a young decent pitcher and had to pay zero of his deal.

Not seeing the contradiction here exposes your paltry reasoning skills.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

The puffery with Lowrie, who one poster called "an elite MLB AS SS", to Aviles and "huge surprise last spring" bandwagon on this board.

Party time, the Red Sox unloaded a bum! Good riddance, Mike Aviles!!!!!!!!!!! You butcher with a single A OBP!!!!!!!!!!!

And what did softy have to say about Iggy's OBP???   Hmmm

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Next: Garciaparra, Cabrera, Renteria, Gonzales, Lugo, Lowrie, Aviles, Scuttaro. I give up who is NEXT ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next: Garciaparra, Cabrera, Renteria, Gonzales, Lugo, Lowrie, Aviles, Scuttaro. I give up who is NEXT ?

[/QUOTE]

You forgot the SS innings leader of 2010: Nick Green.