Adrian beltre numbers shocked me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Adrian beltre numbers shocked me

I guess I never really paid much attention to AB's stats other than his huge LA year and his sox season. I was shocked to see this guy should end this year wilth 2400+ hits, 380+ HR's and 1300+RBI. All this and he turned 34 three months ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility that this guy plays 3-4 more years and ends up with close to 3000/500. Of course health and age decline are always unpredictable yet he has put himself in the position to at least have a shot at these milestones. Very underrated in a lot of ways. Doesn't strike out much for a power guy either.

on a side not...anyone notice Pujols is only 10 away from 500hr's? Haven't heard much chatter about it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Adrian beltre numbers shocked me

There aren't many 3rd basemen with career numbers that good. Ron Santo just got in the Hall with .342 HR and 1331 RBI.

When you add his defense (as analyzed by modern metrics), I don't think he has to add much to his resume to get plenty of Hall votes when he retires. 

-Daf.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

There aren't many 3rd basemen with career numbers that good. Ron Santo just got in the Hall with .342 HR and 1331 RBI.

When you add his defense (as analyzed by modern metrics), I don't think he has to add much to his resume to get plenty of Hall votes when he retires. 

-Daf.

i agree. good guy, good ball player. If he can stay healthy and stay in the league for another 3-5 years he will make a great bid at the HoF. and i won't argue..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In his 16th season, Adrian Beltre has been valued at 68.5 WAR* while Hall of Fame thirdbaseman Brooks Robinson was valued at 78.4 WAR in 23 seasons:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_bat_career.shtml

As points of reference, Manny Ramirez has been valued at 69.1 WAR in 19 seasons and David Ortiz 42.4 WAR in 17 seasons.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In his 16th season, Adrian Beltre has been valued at 68.5 WAR* while Hall of Fame thirdbaseman Brooks Robinson was valued at 78.4 WAR in 23 seasons:

As points of reference, Manny Ramirez has been valued at 69.1 WAR in 19 seasons and David Ortiz 42.4 WAR in 17 seasons.

so do you think he will eventually make it into the hall? given he plays another 3-4 years at least with average-solid production.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

so do you think he will eventually make it into the hall? given he plays another 3-4 years at least with average-solid production.

I think it's likely, but I've also heard 3rd base is the toughest position next to catcher to be inducted. So...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Should have kept him here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Adrian Beltre's Hall of Fames chances would be enhanced if he played in more postseason games.

Beltre's numbers suffer from the harsh hitting environments in which he played his home games for his first 12 MLB seasons. The national media tended to ignore those first 12 seasons on the West Coast and were partially responsible -- at least indirectly -- for Beltre's omission from All Star rosters until he landed in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why the Sox didn't persue him when he hit Free Agency? I know they wanted AGon but in retrospect AGon couldn't hold Beltre's jock!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why the Sox didn't persue him when he hit Free Agency? I know they wanted AGon but in retrospect AGon couldn't hold Beltre's jock!!!

Theo had other plans. get the 2 picks (turned into Blake Swihart and JBJ) was planning on going after Gonzo and shifting Youk to 3b. Im sure Theo had an inside track and at least had a good idea if he could sign him or not before he let Beltre go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Agree.  I couldn't understand why the Red Sox didn't resign him.  He was and still is a very productive 3rd baseman. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Check out Aramis Ramirez numbers. Similar to exceeding Adrian Beltre numbers. (Offensive)

I would also have to think Rolen is in that HOF discussion if Beltre is

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Check out Aramis Ramirez numbers. Similar to exceeding Adrian Beltre numbers. (Offensive)

I would also have to think Rolen is in that HOF discussion if Beltre is

According to Baseball Reference, Scott Rolen had a WAR of 70.0 in 17 seasons while Adrian Beltre has a WAR of 68.4 and counting in 16 seasons.

Aramis Ramirez has a WAR of 30.1 in 16 seasons (although his hitting numbers rival Beltre's).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Couldn't agree more. I don't live and die by critisizing the front office, just figuring every trade, free agent signing, etc is a crap shoot. Who knew that Gagne who was having a great comeback year with Texas before the Sox traded for him would be a total bust. Who could predict Papi would become the player he has been for the Sox since coming over from Minny. But once you've a proven player who thrives in your town like Beltre he should have been a keeper. Great defensive third baseman with a very good bat. A major screw up by the FO.

Hetch 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

And where would you have played WMB,  Iglesias,  and eventually Bogaerts or Cecchini? 

Log jam at 3B.

BTW...  the draft picks we got for not re-signing Beltre have turned into Blake Swihart & Jackie Bradley Jr.  

No remorse here. Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

It will be fascinating to look at his numbers in 2 or 3 years and see where he finishes up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Hall of Fame Monitor on baseball-reference.com rates Beltre with an 85, and a likely HOF player scores 100.

Scott Rolen scores a 99 on the HOF Monitor.

Aramis Ramirez scores a 67.

If you look at Beltre's Most Similar Batter By Age on that site, every year from age 21 to age 33, he best comparable is Ron Santo.  With the one except that at age 30, Beltre hit more like a 30 year old Ruben Sierra.   Santo has Beltre as his best comparable every year from age 21 to 33, no exceptions.

Sant isin the HOF, but only received an 88 on the HOF Monitor.   However, it is also possible that his post-playing work as a (truly awful) commentator might have also helped his chances...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

His numbers are impressive

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Playing baseball in the Steroid Era? Priceless

Sections
Shortcuts