Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff 

PITTSBURGH - Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first?

Terry Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.

"I don't think I'm going to do it tomorrow. I'm kind of on the fence. Since I am, I'm not sure I know what's right, but I am sure of what's not right. Until I'm positive that this is something to do, I'm going to stay away. That's how I feel. I'll probably stay away tomorrow. Re-evaluate on the way to Philly. I'm hung up and I'm struggling with it and I don't want do something I'm struggling with. If we put Gonzy out there and he got hurt, I'm just not ready to do it. Maybe three, four games into this road trip.....maybe I will. We'll see," Francona said.

Francona, asked if he would base it on how the team is playing said, "I would never do that."

He admitted it's one of the toughest decisions he'd had to make as a manager.

"Yeah, I guess," he said. "I'm concerned that if something happened to somebody, you can't go back. In theory, it sounds great and I'm excited by having David and Gonzy both in the lineup, but if he went out there and did something, I can't call time out and undo it. It's a little bit of an anxiety."

Francona readily acknowledges that Boston's defense would suffer, "we know that. But the idea that David's at-bats are important and if we had the lead we'd move them around. You don't know if David will hit a home run or will Gonzy not get to a ball? You don't know."

Francona said that the organization is also torn about which way to go and they've left it to Francona to make the final call.

"Yes (every one is torn)," Francona said. "Everybody would love to see the at-bats in the lineup. We're all together on that, but there are some ramifications and we're all in it together. I told Theo, until I'm sure, I'm not doing it and I think he's completely on board with that."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.

i will lead off with that i think francona has done a great job since being hired as the red sox manager.

BUT, his current lineup is just too weak without ortiz.  if you have to bat the 2011 jd drew fifth there is not enough depth at the moment.

gonzalez said he would play the outfield so put him out there to maintain some offensive continuity.   he can certainly go and catch the routine balls that so many other sluggers over the years have handled in the outfield.  the threat of injury is no more than at first base although the defensive strength would not be the same.  he has a fielder's glove in his bag.

ortiz has hit a little slump lately, but i still would much rather see him hit fifth 4 or 5 times a game than see mcdonald or drew hit behind youkilis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.

I appreciate Tito's frankness about what to do.

However, I think since the schedule has been out for a good while, preparation for this time might have been taken care of by now.

I can't say what that might be, but by now, it should be part of a set part of options worked on.

It is not like interleague play is a new thing any more.  Not sure why AL teams in general and the Sox specifically don't prepare ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.:
    i will lead off with that i think francona has done a great job since being hired as the red sox manager. BUT, his current lineup is just too weak without ortiz.  if you have to bat the 2011 jd drew fifth there is not enough depth at the moment. gonzalez said he would play the outfield so put him out there to maintain some offensive continuity.   he can certainly go and catch the routine balls that so many other sluggers over the years have handled in the outfield.  the threat of injury is no more than at first base although the defensive strength would not be the same.  he has a fielder's glove in his bag. ortiz has hit a little slump lately, but i still would much rather see him hit fifth 4 or 5 times a game than see mcdonald or drew hit behind youkilis.
    Posted by charliedarling

I definitely agree with you.  The Red Sox definitely need more offense in order to win some of these games during this road trip.   With Gonzalez and Ortiz in the lineup they have a much better chance of winning games.  Also, if the Red Sox are in the World Series this year, they will be better prepared. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it.:
    In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez in right? David Ortiz at first? Francona can't bring himself to pull the trigger on it. : I definitely agree with you.  The Red Sox definitely need more offense in order to win some of these games during this road trip.   With Gonzalez and Ortiz in the lineup they have a much better chance of winning games.  Also, if the Red Sox are in the World Series this year, they will be better prepared. 
    Posted by susan250

Excellent insight, Susan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Last I checked we dropped 2 of 3 in Fenway vs. Sand Diego - with both Ortiz and Adrian in the line-up.  Edith I am not prepared to put Gonzales in the OF as it means nothing and risks everything.  This team should be winning these games either way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Last I checked we dropped 2 of 3 in Fenway vs. Sand Diego - with both Ortiz and Adrian in the line-up.  Edith I am not prepared to put Gonzales in the OF as it means nothing and risks everything.  This team should be winning these games either way.
    Posted by BurritoT
    Right on the money, no need to say anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I appreciate Tito's frankness about what to do. However, I think since the schedule has been out for a good while, preparation for this time might have been taken care of by now. I can't say what that might be, but by now, it should be part of a set part of options worked on. It is not like interleague play is a new thing any more.  Not sure why AL teams in general and the Sox specifically don't prepare ....
    Posted by SinceYaz

Preparation -- how?

They have their roster. They're not going to change their roster for nine games. The reason it became such an issue is because of how well Ortiz has been hitting. But there really wasn't much they could do. They weren't going to convert Gonzalez to the OF in the spring.

It's just a matter of deciding whether or not they wanted to pull the trigger on playing Gonzalez in the OF, and that's not something you make a quick decision on.

Personally, I feel they should have started Ortiz at 1B today. Let him play seven innings then let Gonzalez PH for someone in the bottom of the lineup in the seventh or eighth, depending on score and where teh lineup is then move him to 1B for defensive purposes.

I don't understand why that scenario is such an issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

It's an issue because Cafardo is a columnist and they are supposed to raise controversy and have strong opinions. It is an issue in here because such thread topics always do well. Everyone has an opinion and a hole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

No one wants Gonzo in RF until we start losing. Typical.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

It's all fun and games til someone gets an eye poked out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's an issue because Cafardo is a columnist and they are supposed to raise controversy and have strong opinions. It is an issue in here because such thread topics always do well. Everyone has an opinion and a hole.
    Posted by Your-Echo

Your post, if it's in response to mine, makes no sense.

What I was calling an issue is the Ortiz to 1B, Gonzalez sits for seven innings give or take then replacing him at 1B. Ortiz gets 3 or 4 AB and Gonzalez gets about two. You do that one game each series.

This scenario wasn't rarely brought up, which is why I called it an issue -- maybe a bad term -- because it seems like not starting Gonzalez, but still playing him, for three games is something that can't even be considered.

You're relating what I was calling an issue to Cafardo's story make it sound like you just read the title thread and that sentence, and nothing else.

There was nothing wrong with Cafardo's story. He's a reporter (who sometimes does analysis) not a columnist. His job is to pass on information that fans want to know. His story that was posted to start this thread did just that. The fans want to know what Francona will do, and that's what the story was about. Cafardo was hardly the only reporter in the room when Francona was talking. Cafardo wasn't making any opinions in that piece. Just writing Francona's feelings.

Sections
Shortcuts