Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk"

Coke should have been ejected from that game yesterday after throwing behind Adrian's head and then hitting him in the ribs.After all,Ubaldo Jimenez got 5 games for hittting Tulowitzki.

From ESPNBoston.com:

DETROIT -- When the first pitch from Detroit reliever Phil Coke in the eighth inning sailed behind him, Adrian Gonzalez reacted with humor.

“I joked around with [Tigers catcher Alex] Avila and the umpire [Dan Iassogna],’’ said the Red Sox first baseman. “I said, ‘Should I be scared now?’’’

The laughter died on Gonzalez’s lips when Coke’s next pitch drilled him in the ribs. The umpires weren’t amused either. Mindful that Boston reliever Matt Albers had hit Prince Fielder the day before with a pitch that struck him in the calf after Fielder had homered in his two previous at-bats, umpires issued warnings to both benches after Coke hit Gonzalez, who had homered in his previous at-bat.

“I’m not a big fan of warnings because you take away the immediate retaliation of it,’’ Gonzalez said. “You know it’s going to happen. We've all got seven more years here. It might not happen the next series, but eventually it’s going to happen.’’

The Tigers and Red Sox meet again in a four-game series in Fenway Park on May 28 to 31.

Did Gonzalez think Coke was retaliating for Fielder getting hit by Albers the day before?

“There were two strikes,’’ he said. “[Albers] just yanked a fastball. It didn’t even cross my mind.

“I just think it’s a bad call on their end because now it’s putting Miggy’s and Prince’s careers at risk. You know it’s going to happen eventually.’’

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk"

Well, at least other teams are trying to keep the opposition off balance.  When was the last time our VAUNTED starters won the day @ the plate ???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Looks like detroit has found a way to make Adrian Gonzalez almost care.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk":
    [QUOTE]Looks like detroit has found a way to make Adrian Gonzalez almost care.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

So let's bash Agon as well huh?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

AGon's comment that it never went through his mind is not genuine. Albers has a history of doing this and here's guessing he know this. Having said that, Coke should have been tossed, fined, and suspended for a month; Albers too, or they'll never stop this stuff. See Goodell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk"": [QUOTE]it was God's will that you get hbp Adrian...after all it was Easter Sunday..he has risen.... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Is this really necessary Geo?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : So let's bash Agon as well huh?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

lol you tell him Mr. Positive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would love to have Cabrera.... AGon is like an A- to Cabrera's A+.  Fielder won't last the contract, though he is very good (A-).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]AGon's comment that it never went through his mind is not genuine. Albers has a history of doing this and here's guessing he know this. Having said that, Coke should have been tossed, fined, and suspended for a month; Albers too, or they'll never stop this stuff. See Goodell.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I don't think Albers was intentionally trying to hit Fielder when he had 2 strikes on him.If he was trying to hit him,it would have been on the first or second pitch IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]it was God's will that you get hbp Adrian...after all it was Easter Sunday..he has risen....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Geo, think better of posting something like this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : I don't think Albers was intentionally trying to hit Fielder when he had 2 strikes on him.If he was trying to hit him,it would have been on the first or second pitch IMO.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Disagree; the game was OVER already, and the count would have been his excuse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : Disagree; the game was OVER already, and the count would have been his excuse.
     You're entitiled to your opinion as I am mine.He may very well have hit Fielder intentionally,but I don't think so.That's just a guess,I don't know what was going through Alber's mind at the time.It just seems to me the logical thing to do is plunk him on the first or second pitch rather than waiting until he had 2 strikes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" :  You're entitiled to your opinion as I am mine.He may very well have hit Fielder intentionally,but I don't think so.That's just a guess,I don't know what was going through Alber's mind at the time.It just seems to me the logical thing to do is plunk him on the first or second pitch rather than waiting until he had 2 strikes.

because if you hit him on the first or second pitch, it is undeniably intentional. Wait until you have two strikes, then you have reasonable doubt.

Don't you watch Law and Order Mojo.

Albers meant to plunk him and Coke retaliated. That is the game and it will never change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There is no way Albers "intentionally " hit Fielder!

I've seen enough of Albers to know that the only way he could hit anything is if he isn't trying to. This includes the strike zone.

However the pitcher from Detroit aimed for Gonzalez TWICE. He almost hit him with the first one, and got him with the second one. How much eveidence does an umpire need?...I mean, are these guys really as dumb as they seem to be?... do they actually pay attention to which guys hit a homerun last time up?

Besides, Gonzalez did not "show up" any Detroit pitcher. he just hit a homer...no dumb antics afterward.

I sure wish AL pithcers could bat, I woud love to see how these guys react when there is a chance that the next fastball my be aimed at their head. These guys are the ultimate cowards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

Good points Zilla

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" :  You're entitiled to your opinion as I am mine.He may very well have hit Fielder intentionally,but I don't think so.That's just a guess,I don't know what was going through Alber's mind at the time.It just seems to me the logical thing to do is plunk him on the first or second pitch rather than waiting until he had 2 strikes.

Not when it's 8-0 in the 7th and Fielder just hit 2 bombs, and considering Alber's history; imagine if the situation was reversed what you may have thought then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]There is no way Albers "intentionally " hit Fielder! I've seen enough of Albers to know that the only way he could hit anything is if he isn't trying to. This includes the strike zone. However the pitcher from Detroit aimed for Gonzalez TWICE. He almost hit him with the first one, and got him with the second one. How much eveidence does an umpire need?...I mean, are these guys really as dumb as they seem to be?... do they actually pay attention to which guys hit a homerun last time up? Besides, Gonzalez did not "show up" any Detroit pitcher. he just hit a homer...no dumb antics afterward. I sure wish AL pithcers could bat, I woud love to see how these guys react when there is a chance that the next fastball my be aimed at their head. These guys are the ultimate cowards.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You will be labeled a traitor if you keep trashing your own players.

Remember, the Dream Police live inside this forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think hitting an opposing batter because he hit a dinger or two is wrong.  In this case, I think Valentine was wrong to go after Fielder and don't blame the Tigers for retaliating.  As AGon says, deliberating hitting hitters puts their future in jeopardy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I think hitting an opposing batter because he hit a dinger or two is wrong.  In this case, I think Valentine was wrong to go after Fielder and don't blame the Tigers for retaliating.  As AGon says, deliberating hitting hitters puts their future in jeopardy. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Max - I agree, but this has been part of the game since day 1. Unless Selig wants to turn MLB into the NFL and start laying on heavy penalties for the endangerment of players (50 game suspensions), then there isn't much anyone can do to stop it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : Max - I agree, but this has been part of the game since day 1. Unless Selig wants to turn MLB into the NFL and start laying on heavy penalties for the endangerment of players (50 game suspensions), then there isn't much anyone can do to stop it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what I said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : Not when it's 8-0 in the 7th and Fielder just hit 2 bombs, and considering Alber's history; imagine if the situation was reversed what you may have thought then.

What's Albers's history?  He averages one HBP every 40 innings.  That's a long ways from head-hunting.

The first pitch to Gonzalez was behind his head.  The second was in his ribs.  Fielder was hit in the calf.  If you're trying to hurt a guy - or even intimidate him, would you throw at his feet or his head?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : What's Albers's history?  He averages one HBP every 40 innings.  That's a long ways from head-hunting. The first pitch to Gonzalez was behind his head.  The second was in his ribs.  Fielder was hit in the calf.  If you're trying to hurt a guy - or even intimidate him, would you throw at his feet or his head?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

HBP per IP is not the only factor in determining your history; Albers has done this before last yr, and see Drysdale, Gibson, Clemens & Pedro's HBP totals. As far as Fielder is concerned, if you think that wasn't intentional using location as an excuse (AGon's was obviously much worse, retaliation or not), then I suggest you sleep off the partisan drug.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : HBP per IP is not the only factor in determining your history; Albers has done this before last yr, and see Drysdale, Gibson, Clemens & Pedro's HBP totals. As far as Fielder is concerned, if you think that wasn't intentional, then I suggest you sleep off the partisan drug.

Pretty unusual for a pitcher to intentionally hit someone in the calf.

It's generally easier to move your legs out of the way, compared to the upper body.

It's usually the rear end or ribs.

But, hey, I'm sure your totally unbiased opinion is the right one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : Pretty unusual for a pitcher to intentionally hit someone in the calf. It's generally easier to move your legs out of the way, compared to the upper body. It's usually the rear end or ribs. But, hey, I'm sure your totally unbiased opinion is the right one.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

I said they both should be suspended IMO, and with Coke getting a worse one. Nobody's telling you to agree with me.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez on HBP -" Puts Cabrera/ Fielder at risk" : HBP per IP is not the only factor in determining your history; Albers has done this before last yr, and see Drysdale, Gibson, Clemens & Pedro's HBP totals. As far as Fielder is concerned, if you think that wasn't intentional using location as an excuse (AGon's was obviously much worse, retaliation or not), then I suggest you sleep off the partisan drug.  

Seriously - what's the history with Albers?  I don't remember any sort of controversy with him at all last year, other than that he stunk up the last two months.

I didn't see the play, so I can only go by the situation, and common sense, which says:

1) A 2-2 count with one on and nobody out is not the likely time for retaliation.

2) Retaliation for showing up another pitcher is not all that common - if it had been Beckett hitting Fielder, I'd probably agree with you.

3) Albers is in the seventh inning of an 8-0 game.  I think it's safe to say his roster spot is not set in stone.  I don't think retaliation is his number one priority.

4) Fielder was hit on the calf with a sinking fastball.  If you want to send a message, do you throw a sinker?

5) If Albers hit Fielder on purpose, he would have wanted Fielder to know he hit him on purpose.  You think he engineered all this ambiguity to disguise his intent?  What is the purpose of that?  Phil Coke didn't hide his intent.

Sections
Shortcuts