Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

nobody, i would take Gonzalez ahead of everyone all things considered

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

Have to admit this guys was worth the wait. The best thing about it is he looks ;ike the spotlight has ZERO effect on him. If he was any more laid back he'd fall over. Hes got the tmeperment of JD Drew, the main difference is he is the best hitter in baseball and a GG 1st baseman. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He really is an old-school player. Goes out every day, does his job, never complains, never calls attention to himself ... and is awfully damn good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SullyFromSouthie. Show SullyFromSouthie's posts

Trot Nixon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Teixeira.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Just kidding!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

We can thank Teixeira for NOT signing with the Sox, though...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

lol! that was a good one.
    as for me? nobody. period. Agon is the future of our club. I just hope they give papi a couple of years more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Adrian Gonzales is having a career year, so far.
    His stats are far above his normal season, in every category.
    One year does not make him the best player in baseball.
    He's probably having the best season of any MLB player, and let's leave it at that.
    Look at Joey Votto's career stats. He is higher in OBP, and OPS, and BA that Gonzalez, and it's not close.
    Now, how much of Gonzalez production had to do with hitting in a big park with a mediocre lineup is another matter.
    He is in a perfect park in a superior lineup. Both these factors should add to his output from here forward and anything is possible.
    As for Texiera, if the Sox had signed him, he'd have been playing for them for the past few years. Do not underestimate Mark Texiera. How much difference would he have made hitting around Bay and Youk in 2009 or last season? He's the best fielding first basman I've ever seen, and even with a dropoff in BA the past couple of years, he still has better career stats than Gonzalez.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?:
    [QUOTE]We can thank Teixeira for NOT signing with the Sox, though...
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I was upset after Teixeira signed with the Yankees. But not anymore...

Gonzalez is a cut above.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Personally, I don't think a 1B can ever be the best in the league simply because of the position they play.

If I had the 1st pick in the draft and all MLB players were available, I would pick either Reyes (injuries aside) or Cano. And the first 1B I would take is Albert P.

However, Gonzalez is a monster and top 10 easily; at least for this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Right now, today, nobody. He has delivered above the Red Sox Nation expectations, which we all know were stratospheric. Its just going to be a pleasure watching him put dents in the Green Monster for the duration of his contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As of Today? Nobody..Hes killing it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"You’ve got to go up there with a game plan,’’ said Gonzalez. “When you’ve got runners on the bases, you just put the ball in play. Don’t worry about the home run. With nobody on base, you drive the ball more, put yourself in scoring position or hit the home run. If I’ve got runners on base, I just try to hit behind the ball. If the pitch is away, you go away. If it’s in, you look in and maybe pull it.’’

Gee, if only the rest of the team took this approach. If you think the offense is good now, can you imagine the production we would have?
    This is a guy who is unselfish at the plate, who remembers the fundamnetals and applies them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Tulowitzki, but only because of the defensive value at the SS position.  The Sox would then be free to find another slugging 1B (Pujols?).  Tulo isn't going anywhere any time soon though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?:
    [QUOTE]by Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe PHOENIX - Adrian Gonzalez might be the best player in baseball today. Think about it. Whom would you take ahead of him? At the break, Gonzo is leading the majors in batting average (.354, tied with Jose Reyes), RBIs (77), hits (128), doubles (29), and total bases (214). He’s playing Gold Glove-caliber first base and he’s the No. 3 hitter on the team with the best record in the American League. Gonzalez will be batting third tonight when the American League faces Roy Halladay at enclosed Chase Field. He was runner-up in last night’s Home Run Derby. “We expected him to be good after what we gave up for him [top prospects Anthony Rizzo and Casey Kelly],’’ said the Red Sox’ Josh Beckett. “But I don’t think anyone expected this. Not even our guys.’’ Tim Lincecum of the Giants is happy to have Gonzalez out of the National League West. “It was tough because we did see him so often,’’ said the ace of the world champions. “The advantage was that we didn’t have to face him at Fenway Park. We played him at Petco and at our park. Now being in Boston with that wall, he’s able to utilize it and it plays to his strength. I always knew he was a really good player. Everybody knew it. “He’s got that beautiful stroke to hit the ball to the other field, like John Olerud did. He doesn’t try to do too much with it. He’s just a natural hitter.’’ Gonzalez is hitting more than 60 points higher than his career average. “I bet he’s a lot better than you thought he was,’’ said Gonzalez’s former teammate, Padres closer Heath Bell. “When you look at that career average, you have to consider the ballpark and the fact that he had no one hitting around him. He got the 100 RBIs and hit the 30-40 home runs with no protection whatsoever. “As pitchers, we always said, ‘Why would you pitch to him? Just walk him four times.’ He’s like Barry Bonds. He was the only guy who was going to hurt you in our lineup the last couple of years. We had a couple of guys that were good hitters, but nobody who was gonna hurt you, guys who would hit a double or get on base. We knew he was amazing. Now he’s got people around him.’’ Asked to explain the jump in his production Gonzalez said, “just look at my walks.’’ Yo Adrian led the National League with 119 walks in 2009. Last year he walked 93 times. In the first half of this season he’s got 35 walks. It’s simple. There’s no place to hide when you throw against the Red Sox . Pitchers have to deal with him now. “I don’t know why anybody would give him anything now, even with the players around him,’’ said the Cardinals’ Lance Berkman. “He has that beautiful swing. Put that kind of talent around him and in a ballpark that is tailor-made for that approach . . . “I don’t know that anybody in baseball is really surprised that he is doing what he’s doing. He’s off the plate with a long bat and he waits a long time and wears that left-field wall out. That’s why he’s a good hitter, because he sees the ball a long time and has the ability to hit an inside pitch on a line the other way. That’s tough to do.’’ “You’ve got to go up there with a game plan,’’ said Gonzalez. “When you’ve got runners on the bases, you just put the ball in play. Don’t worry about the home run. With nobody on base, you drive the ball more, put yourself in scoring position or hit the home run. If I’ve got runners on base, I just try to hit behind the ball. If the pitch is away, you go away. If it’s in, you look in and maybe pull it.’’ Gonzalez is low-key, almost intentionally bland. Spanish-speaking reporters have tried to get him to comment on Arizona’s controversial immigration law. Gonzalez, a Mexican-American, won’t comment. In any language. Bell misses Gonzo in the Padres clubhouse. “He was a good teammate,’’ said the closer. “He didn’t talk to the pitchers that much, but he was always talking to the hitters. His locker was only a few down from mine. One time he brought a foot massager and he let everybody use it. He was always having a good time and letting everybody use all of his stuff. When soccer was big the Mexican flag would pop up. We had mariachi bands playing occasionally. I don’t know if you’re going to get that in Boston.’’ The Red Sox have a fine legacy of lefty sluggers coming up big in All-Star Games. Ted Williams hit a three-run walkoff to beat the National League in Detroit in the magical season of 1941. In ’46 at Fenway, Ted went 4 for 4 with two homers, including a blast off Rip Sewell’s eephus pitch. Carl Yastrzemski hit a homer off Tom Seaver in Milwaukee in 1975 and Fred Lynn homered at the Kingdome in ’79. Wade Boggs went deep in Anaheim in 1989. You could win a lot of money in a bar tonight with the knowledge that the last All-Star home run was hit by . . . J.D. Drew in Yankee Stadium in 2008. Gonzo’s turn tonight.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I don't think we can eliminate Pujols from the discussion just because hes had a rough time this season but Adrian is right up there with him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

nobody. not today. not ever. he is the best player anyone ever saw!! hall of fame. right now. why wait til he retires. now. now. now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I got to agree with TBrod, although I would say he is the best player in baseball......this year,  I would emphasize THIS YEAR.  Who knows what next year will bring.

Gonzalez is having a career year, however we did expect this.  I speculated, as many of us, and I'm sure Theo and company did as well that Gonzo would hit better in a more friendly ballpark and in a more potent lineup.  

Can he do it next year? or will his stats be somewhere between this year and his career avg?  Maybe he hasn't even shown us his best yet.

He is however playing at an MVP level, and I can see him dropping off a bit next year or getting better, but I'd bet that he is going to give us something very close (one direction or the other) to what he is showing us this year....if he does then he won't just be the best player in baseball in 2011, then you may be able to make the argument he is the best player in baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Five tools...He has very similar numbers with AGON...Braun plays the outfield and has a gun...oh, did I forget he has 19, yes 19 stolen bases...

All that said, I still would take AGONO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo is the best, look at the RBIs ... and that after a horrible start.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?:
    [QUOTE]Gonzo is the best, look at the RBIs ... and that after a horrible start.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

RBI's are only as good as the guys setting the table for you...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzo is the best, look at the RBIs ... and that after a horrible start.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's fair to say he got off to a "horrible" start

his april line was .314/.379/.457 with 1 HR and 15 RBI's  so his power was down and he was only on pace for 93 RBI's, thats not horrible.  The homeruns where down and the RBI's and AVG where more like a good player and less like a MVP...but by no means horrible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Gonzo is by far the best playing in baseball.   Just look at everything he brings to the stable.