Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?:
    [QUOTE]Gonzo is by far the best playing in baseball.   Just look at everything he brings to the stable.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Jed Lowrie, hands down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : RBI's are only as good as the guys setting the table for you...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

They are only as good as your ability to drive them in.   Nobody drives them in better than Gonzo, and that is the name of the game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : I don't think it's fair to say he got off to a "horrible" start his april line was .314/.379/.457 with 1 HR and 15 RBI's  so his power was down and he was only on pace for 93 RBI's, thats not horrible.  The homeruns where down and the RBI's and AVG where more like a good player and less like a MVP...but by no means horrible. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

What did he do in the first two weeks? 

He was batting .244 after the 10 loses ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : They are only as good as your ability to drive them in.   Nobody drives them in better than Gonzo, and that is the name of the game. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Either way, you can't judge a player solely by his RBI count.  There are too many factors independent of the hitter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Agon is a dream come true and at this point it would be hard to trade him for anybody else However... The guy is slow, I mean Slow !! I was dying laughing with all the talk about him playing the outfield and hurting himself trying to chase down a fly ball. LOL This may turn out to be one of the Greatest trades The Sox have ever made, Hands down !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"Personally, I don't think a 1B can ever be the best in the league simply because of the position they play. "

Jessey, I understand your point, but I disagree with that statement.  If you have 2 players, all things being equal but one plays SS and the other plays 1B, then I could agree that the SS is the better player because of the more difficult position.

IMO, however, Pujols is that best player in the game today.  He's not having the best year this year (that would be Gonzalez), and he has not been the best player each year (although he's been at least top 5 each year, maybe even top 3 each year), but he has been has several years where he was the best player, and he has been consisitently great for over 10 years. 

Yes, he plays an easier position, but he plays it quite well.  Couple that with his offensive prowess, his good baserunning, and his overall baseball smarts, and for me, he is no doubt the best player in the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : What did he do in the first two weeks?  He was batting .244 after the 10 loses ...
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

ok I stand corrected...I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.  I'd still argue against the wording "Horrible", kindly of course.  Only from my perspective is that 10-14 days is a little too short of a beginning of a season to call someone starting horrible....now if his month looked that bad, then I'd agree.  personally I think your going to have little spurts all year where you don't put up much and the smaller the sample size the easier they are to find.

I don't know maybe two weeks is long enough to consider a "horrible" start, I'd call it more of a "slow" start......Now I feel like I'm arguing a ridiculous minute point....you know what your right

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

FTR, I am in love with Adrian Gonzalez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Braun, Tulo, AGone - it's a toss up right now............

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Since Gonzo leads in hits, BA, and total bases, and those drove in those league leading 77 RBIs, it pretty much means he is the best player right now ... even with a variety of factors causing those RBIs.  

128 hits at the break.  Lets hope it continues.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I can't think of anybody else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Taking age and health into consideration, I take nobody over Gonzalez and that includes Pujols.  A-Gon is the best in the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

He arguably had the best first half of anyone in the majors.  To be considered the best in the game he would have to put those type of numbers up longer than half a season.  Still he had an unbelievable first half.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]He arguably had the best first half of anyone in the majors.  To be considered the best in the game he would have to put those type of numbers up longer than half a season.  Still he had an unbelievable first half.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

He finally has a team and he's doing it in the best division in the big leagues.  Right now, he's the best in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : He finally has a team and he's doing it in the best division in the big leagues.  Right now, he's the best in the game.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    I'm not taking anything away from him and the half he just had.  This isn't a slight.  He would have to put these types of numbers up for longer than 1/2 season to be considered the best in the game.  The guy is ripping but its a long season, I'm not saying he is gonna tank or anything I just don't think this guy is a season .360 type hitter or whatever he is at now I know he had a small slump.  Regardless great first half and he is definitely an elite hitter in the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Like I said an elite hitter, he just hit a bomb off of Lee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

pretty good (the best!) for a 4-tool guy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Adrian Gonzales is having a career year, so far. His stats are far above his normal season, in every category. One year does not make him the best player in baseball. He's probably having the best season of any MLB player, and let's leave it at that. Look at Joey Votto's career stats. He is higher in OBP, and OPS, and BA that Gonzalez, and it's not close. Now, how much of Gonzalez production had to do with hitting in a big park with a mediocre lineup is another matter. He is in a perfect park in a superior lineup. Both these factors should add to his output from here forward and anything is possible. As for Texiera, if the Sox had signed him, he'd have been playing for them for the past few years. Do not underestimate Mark Texiera. How much difference would he have made hitting around Bay and Youk in 2009 or last season? He's the best fielding first basman I've ever seen, and even with a dropoff in BA the past couple of years, he still has better career stats than Gonzalez.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]
    I think Petco is the reason Gonzalez's number's werent this good. If you look at the spray charts from his years in SD and compare them to Fenway, he would have had better seasons then this the last couple years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : I'm not taking anything away from him and the half he just had.  This isn't a slight.  He would have to put these types of numbers up for longer than 1/2 season to be considered the best in the game.  The guy is ripping but its a long season, I'm not saying he is gonna tank or anything I just don't think this guy is a season .360 type hitter or whatever he is at now I know he had a small slump.  Regardless great first half and he is definitely an elite hitter in the game.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

He could hit higher than that; recall he had a slow April; I had him tagged about 2 months ago at .370 as a final BA this yr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : He could hit higher than that; recall he had a slow April; I had him tagged about 2 months ago at .370 as a final BA this yr.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I think he'll end up somewhere around .330

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

I predict that he finishes this year .350/35/155 and wins the MVP and Gold Glove. However, after this year he becomes more of a .320/45/130 guy, but that is still great, if not better. I'd be surprised if he hits .350 in 2012 or 2013, but I think it is attainable in 2011.
     Jose Bautista has 31 homers, and is on pace for about 55 homers. That is what I call a power hitter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE] I predict that he finishes this year .350/35/155 and wins the MVP and Gold Glove. However, after this year he becomes more of a .320/45/130 guy, but that is still great, if not better. I'd be surprised if he hits .350 in 2012 or 2013, but I think it is attainable in 2011.  Jose Bautista has 31 homers, and is on pace for about 55 homers. That is what I call a power hitter
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]
    I think he's got a a great shot at the batting title and an MVP.  I still think Tex wins the gold glove.  As for Bautista, I'm still scratching my head in regard to him......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : I still think Tex wins the gold glove.  Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Things could change the 2nd half, but as of now, Gonzalez deserve the GG.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez the best player in baseball today? Whom would you take ahead of him? : Things could change the 2nd half, but as of now, Gonzalez deserve the GG.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

I haven't been very impressed with

either one of them so far this yr

hopefully someone else wins it

but arod has been most impressive this yr

and no

I don't need any of your super stats

I watch the games ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts