2975 AB 161 HR - 1 HR per 18.5 AB

With Boston:

1114 AB 42 HR - 1 HR per 26.5 AB

With LA Dodgers:

235 AB 5 HR - 1 HR per 47 AB

Ben C is looking smarter every day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez - the power outage goes on

It really is amazing.  The guy is an absolute hitting machine.....and when he connects with one it goes a mile.....but I really think he has turned into more of a contact line drive hitter.  Which is fine.  In a VERY ODD way he reminds me of Wade Boggs.  There was none better at waiting for his pitch and diong what he wants with it.  When he got the right pitch, he'd hit it over the fence.....but it had to be THE RIGHT pitch.....if it wasn't he would go the oter way with it or try to pull it down the line.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I watched some of the Dodgers game, opening day. They were talking about Gonzos shoulder surgery.  his swing changed to compensate before he had it and was working on getting his old form back, in ST. May not be as easy as it sounds

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

That shoulder surgery pretty much sapped his power.  I am surprised it has had such a lasting effect.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

It really is amazing.  The guy is an absolute hitting machine.....and when he connects with one it goes a mile.....but I really think he has turned into more of a contact line drive hitter.  Which is fine.  In a VERY ODD way he reminds me of Wade Boggs.  There was none better at waiting for his pitch and diong what he wants with it.  When he got the right pitch, he'd hit it over the fence.....but it had to be THE RIGHT pitch.....if it wasn't he would go the oter way with it or try to pull it down the line.   

Yeah, this is an interesting comparison.  i don't know if the shoulder surgery had an effect on his swing or not.  But I do know from watching him for two years in Boston, he really was a Boggsian hitter.  He took whatever was given because he knew just what to do with every remotely hittable pitch.  Makes for a great hitter, but not the authoritative middle-of-the-order guy expected.

However, his legacy, as far as advice can contribute, seems to be the Papi Rennaisance.  Papi (by his own words) took Adrian's cue to take what pitcers were feeding him (and kiss 2009 and 2010 goodbye).  But Papi still kept a little Papi in him so he didn't turn into Big Boggsy.  He has, since 2011, patiently waited out the pitchers not giving him anything remotely in his wheelhouse, happily dinking singles into left all day (much to the chagrin of folks who can't bear Ortiz not mashing homeruns every night).  And, what do you know, sooner or later pitchers find they need to pitch him a little more honestly.  papi sees it coming and crushes a bunch.  Thank you Adrian.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

when asked about his lack of power, a-gone responded "god wants me to be a slap hitter."

Surprised

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Fun fact: Dodger career leaders in HR's  Manny Ramirez 44, Jose Offerman 8, Adrian Gonzalez 5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Yeah, this is an interesting comparison.  i don't know if the shoulder surgery had an effect on his swing or not.  But I do know from watching him for two years in Boston, he really was a Boggsian hitter.  He took whatever was given because he knew just what to do with every remotely hittable pitch.  Makes for a great hitter, but not the authoritative middle-of-the-order guy expected.

However, his legacy, as far as advice can contribute, seems to be the Papi Rennaisance.  Papi (by his own words) took Adrian's cue to take what pitcers were feeding him (and kiss 2009 and 2010 goodbye).  But Papi still kept a little Papi in him so he didn't turn into Big Boggsy.  He has, since 2011, patiently waited out the pitchers not giving him anything remotely in his wheelhouse, happily dinking singles into left all day (much to the chagrin of folks who can't bear Ortiz not mashing homeruns every night).  And, what do you know, sooner or later pitchers find they need to pitch him a little more honestly.  papi sees it coming and crushes a bunch.  Thank you Adrian.

Wild applause.  I could not agree more that AGon changed Ortiz's approach at the plate.  We saw it when AGon was here and even more this spring. 

I also agree with others that AGon is a special hitter with or without a lot of dingers.  After Manny left, Ortiz used to complain, not too often, he "couldn't get a pitch to hit," by which he meant it really helped to have a great hitter behind him.  Right now AGon does not have much of a hitter behind him, so far, anyway. 

I also noticed that Carl Crawford has a terrific OPS of .903 and already has 4 dingers, but he has only 6 rbi's.  Looks like the Dodgers do not have a solid lineup, which is why they are near the bottom of MLB in runs scored. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where's softy's outrage as with papi's "lack of power"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Truly is strange how i a guy can be an absolute monster when it comes to power (hitting 40 homeruns in San Diegos staduim), and then can go to hitting 10 to 20 a year. That being said hes still an absolute beast with the bat. I agree that Boggs is a pretty good comparison right now.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Where's softy's outrage as with papi's "lack of power"?

You falsely refer to "power" as "pop".

Oritz 2012  23 HR   60 RBI            2013  2HR  11 RBI

AGon 2012 18HR    100 + RBI's    2013  2 HR  17 RBI

I like the better production from AGon, but I've noted that you like the 28M for Ortiz for 2013 and 2014 for Ortiz,  instead of the 43MM for Agon over the same time frame.

With Lowrie and the whole "no pop" fiasco, you said "pop" was not doubles, but only HRs. Now, the golaposts are moved to RBIs and total PAs per season.

You are a joke, a clown, and an absurd poster.

You know what my suggested offer was for Papi. You called me a racist for suggesting it, and then offered less a few short weeks later.

I was not for Papi's $28M deal and everyone on this site knows it- even you, so stop constructing strawmen as distractions.

I wanted AGon here, and wish he was still here, but dumping CC, Beckett and Punto's contracts was by far a great trade-off for having to part with AGon and his massive contract.

AGon was not worth any more than what he was getting paid, so even his loss was not as great as you want to keep thinking it was. He was not a "leader", and he has lost his "pop".

PAs in not equal to"pop". A massive drop in HR% is not "pop". You are not the dictionary of baseball terminology.

If Papi was hitting like AGon, you'd be complaining about his "pop", even if he had 650 PAs. You were against his signing, so nothing he does will ever satisfy you and your twisted mind.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let's face it, AGon is so gifted that he could simply change his approach, lower his BA and OBP and OPS, and hit more homers and strke out more if he wanted to. It's about RBI's, hitting with runners on base, and overall slugging, for middle of the order profiles.

Manny wasn't a 40HR every season guy. He was about a 30HR a season guy who had the advantgage of the short porch for RH hitters.

Absurd.  AGon can't carry the jock of Manny or Ortiz when it comes to being a complete slugger.  Manny and Ortiz were/are able to hit home runs and maintain high BA, OBP and OPS.

As for the Monster benefitting Manny, you must know that his career SLG in Yankee Stadium is .605, which is higher than his .582 in Fenway.

AGon's diminished HR power is most likely a result of his shoulder injury.  Certainly not by choice. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I watched some of the Dodgers game, opening day. They were talking about Gonzos shoulder surgery.  his swing changed to compensate before he had it and was working on getting his old form back, in ST. May not be as easy as it sounds

Bingo. Ever since the shoulder surgery he's not the same power threat. Seems to go the other way alot. Shoulders alot tougher to come back from than elbows. Know someone who had shoulder surgery and never been the same since. Still a good hitter just not the same type of hitter. 320 hitters w/ 40-50 HR power tough to find, than 320 hitters w/ 20-30 HR power.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Stooge, in your blather, you prevaricate wildly. I was for signing Ortiz, at the end of 2011, to a 2 year deal at base 11 to 12. I stated that the last year would lkiely be a golden parachute, and I think that Ortiz is not long before he pops that shoot he used in 2012. I believe he earned the one extra year, but the 2 year deal in the market of last winter was embarrassingly incompetent GM move.

Pop doesn't include doubles, but power does. Lowrie is the joke that only a fool would look at his HR per PA, which is meaningless for anyone but a bench profile. It's about year long production for everyday slugging roles. Lowrie is a butcher, at SS, and S. Drew when he came to the Red Sox reminds me of Lowrie. Lowrie's going to drop like a lead baloon, like he always does.

AGon wasn't a leadership issue, that was Beckett. No player he comes over in a trade becomes the team leader in one and half seasons.

AGon's simply taking what the pitching is giving, and I have no doubt that he and Kemp will produce at an elite level in pop and power and year long production. It's early for everyone but S. Drew and his tired act for years.

It looks like softy has tried to invent a new baseball term "pop". Pop is typically another word for power. Power is actually a real baseball term. You have power hitters. With his demonstrated lack of baseball knowledge, should this surprise anyone?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Fenway, I said exactly the same. I said he wasn't going to hit 30 to 40 HR a year playing for the Red Sox. What he does, his entire career, is hit the baseball well, get on base at an elite level, field well and play 140 or more games a season and produce 100 RBI and 20 to 30 HR a season.

Let's face it, AGon is so gifted that he could simply change his approach, lower his BA and OBP and OPS, and hit more homers and strke out more if he wanted to. It's about RBI's, hitting with runners on base, and overall slugging, for middle of the order profiles.

Manny wasn't a 40HR every season guy. He was about a 30HR a season guy who had the advantgage of the short porch for RH hitters.

This is foolish. They took his spray chart of 2010 and placed it in Fenway, he would have had 50 home runs. He lost the ability to evaluate the ball with his bum shoulder. This is even more evident in Dodger Stadium where he hits home runs at a slower place than at Fenway. This time he can't try blaming the wall like he did in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2012/13  SLG%

AGon   .464    Lowrie .459

2010-'13  SS Slg%

1. Tulo    2.  Reyes   3.   Lowrie   4  Hanley    5.  Castro

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stooge, in your blather, you prevaricate wildly. I was for signing Ortiz, at the end of 2011, to a 2 year deal at base 11 to 12. I stated that the last year would lkiely be a golden parachute, and I think that Ortiz is not long before he pops that shoot he used in 2012. I believe he earned the one extra year, but the 2 year deal in the market of last winter was embarrassingly incompetent GM move.

You were not the only one who believed this, and you just made it sound like I was for the Papi $28M/2 deal. Stop your lies. Try it- just once.

You are also lying about your 2 year offer. I suggested that same amount for 2 years plus incentives that could bring him to 15 M a year, and you called me a racist for "lowballing a legend". 

You are really something with your string of lies. And, no, that is not prevarication- it's is the God's honest truth.

Pop doesn't include doubles, but power does.

In your twisted brain only.

Lowrie is the joke that only a fool would look at his HR per PA, which is meaningless for anyone but a bench profile. It's about year long production for everyday slugging roles. Lowrie is a butcher, at SS, and S. Drew when he came to the Red Sox reminds me of Lowrie. Lowrie's going to drop like a lead baloon, like he always does.

Of course Jed will drop off or get hurt as he always does, but during the "No Pop Jed" thread, you claimed "pop" was all about HR and HR%. When you then argued that Bill Hall had more pop than Jed, you were schooled again. Now, you move the goalposts to PAs and RBIs. Typical clown move.

AGon wasn't a leadership issue, that was Beckett. No player he comes over in a trade becomes the team leader in one and half seasons.

AGon's simply taking what the pitching is giving, and I have no doubt that he and Kemp will produce at an elite level in pop and power and year long production. It's early for everyone but S. Drew and his tired act for years.

With Kemp and others in the line-up, AGon should have 70 HRs with your logic. (See the Jake position of hitting 30 HRs because AGon was 2 or 3 slots down from him in the line-up.)

My point was, if Papi, Victorino, Drew, or the other 22 guys you hate on the Sox were hitting like AGON, you'd be bashing them for lack of "pop" or "power", or whatever else you'd find to pick at. Your vile and petty drivel is getting stale and predicatble.

Cue: Wake reference, a word of the week attempt at sounding educated, and a personal attack or two for good measure.