Adrian Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez

Have to remember that the All Star Game is not the actual mid-point of the season, but several games after the half way mark.  As for Adrian, I think it is just a " market correction."  He is a great hitter but he is not Ted Williams. Not realistic to expect him to hit .350 for the  year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE] David Ortiz 2010 Derby result 32  Pre HR-D  18  Post HR-D  14

Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Justin Morneau 2008, Derby result 22

Pre HR-D 14

Post HR-D 9

David Ortiz 2010 Derby result 32
    Pre HR-D 18
    Post HR-D 14

I would hardly consider these as any "proof" of a derby slump. A player may have more or less home games after the derby. This could easily sway the numbers a few HR's in either direction. If they were playing in the same exact parks an equal amount of time on each side of the break it might hold more weight, but that just not the case. Especially with the interleague games in place.

Take a guy like Granderson (I know he wasn't in the derby). With the Yanks having more road games in the second half you would tend to think he's going to have a few less HR's in the 2nd half when he hits at The Stadium less.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]Gonzalez is too good of a hitter and too smart of a hitter.  I am not concerned about the Derby affecting him.

Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

So the previous derby champs who slumped afterwards were dumb and not that good hitters?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez : Justin Morneau 2008, Derby result 22 Pre HR-D 14 Post HR-D 9 David Ortiz 2010 Derby result 32 Pre HR-D 18 Post HR-D 14 I would hardly consider these as any "proof" of a derby slump. A player may have more or less home games after the derby. This could easily sway the numbers a few HR's in either direction. If they were playing in the same exact parks an equal amount of time on each side of the break it might hold more weight, but that just not the case. Especially with the interleague games in place.   Take a guy like Granderson (I know he wasn't in the derby). With the Yanks having more road games in the second half you would tend to think he's going to have a few less HR's in the 2nd half when he hits at The Stadium less.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a good point, and important to remember. I was randomly pulling out guys who had great Derby results and then contrasting first half to second half, yet, I didn't find anybody who statistically benefited from the event. As for Granderson, he's hit more road homers (13) than at home (12), also, Curtis "Changed" his stance/swing last year, and the homeruns have been flying ever since, that tends to prove, the way you swing can change your result, which is the premise of the OP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE] Josh Hamilton 2008, Derby result 35 Pre HR-D   21 Post HR-D 11

Hamilton had 425 PAs before the derby and 279 PAs after the derby, so that accounts for most of that difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez : So the previous derby champs who slumped afterwards were dumb and not that good hitters?
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

How many of them actually slumped because of the derby?

Gonzalez may very well hit a slump.  In fact it's likely that he'll slump at some point between now and the end of the season, but I would doubt that the slump is a result of the derby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez :   Yeah that's a good point, and important to remember. I was randomly pulling out guys who had great Derby results and then contrasting first half to second half, yet, I didn't find anybody who statistically benefited from the event. As for Granderson, he's hit more road homers (13) than at home (12), also, Curtis "Changed" his stance/swing last year, and the homeruns have been flying ever since, that tends to prove, the way you swing can change your result, which is the premise of the OP.

Sorry, I didn't check his splits but I think you get my point. Some hitters hit better in some parks, so if it's not even before and after the break, it may sway the results.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

What a dumb thread, we all know as long as he's not on the cover of Sports Illustrated he'll be OK :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Tim Mcarver (for all that that is worth) said he saw Gonzalez with an ice pack on his surgery shoulder prior to the all star game. That seems strange. I think he is probably feeling something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]Tim Mcarver (for all that that is worth) said he saw Gonzalez with an ice pack on his surgery shoulder prior to the all star game. That seems strange. I think he is probably feeling something.

Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]

Maybe rushing back from the surgery plus participating in the derby wasn't a good idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo is allowed a few game slump ... he didn't get any time off, I am sure the AS derby and game wore on him a bit ... the report was his shoulder was sore and needed ice.   He will be fine.   Two games ... meh ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im sure his shoulder is sore from the HR derby and ASG...Im not worried..He'll be fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

I liked the show Home Run Derby it was in black and white.

I never felt that they reminded me enough that it was a homerun or nothing here at homerun derby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

this reminds me of the beggining of the season when that one guy...I dont remember who made that thread about how agon wasnt worth what we paid and he wasnt produceing...What happened then?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

omg agon havin a terrible "second half".

2 games. Relax, put yer skirt back on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm a worrier, so I worry about a lot. The debt ceiling, global warming, crime, poverty, unemployment ... one thing I am losing no sleep over is Adrian Gonzalez. Come on, we're talking two games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

[QUOTE]this reminds me of the beggining of the season when that one guy...I dont remember who made that thread about how agon wasnt worth what we paid and he wasnt produceing...What happened then?
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12[/QUOTE]

I was actually one of the posters that questioned the money spent on Agon when he started slow but I eat my words. Aside from him being one of the best hitters in the game it is clear he has a positive influence relative to hitting on many of his team mates. He is good and I worry that the ASG HR Derby was not a good place for him.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]Gonzo is allowed a few game slump ... he didn't get any time off, I am sure the AS derby and game wore on him a bit ... the report was his shoulder was sore and needed ice.   He will be fine.   Two games ... meh ...

Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

And you know this because you are an orthopedic surgeon who has examined his shoulder?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Absurd thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

The HR "contest" does nothing for players and teams.  What it attempts to do his fill certain pockets with more gold...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

[QUOTE]Absurd thread.
    Posted by saxydogg77[/QUOTE]

Granted no one hit last night but again Agon had a tired approach to the plate. Once the O's series is over we will know more about Agon health status. The only appropriate use of the work "absurb" pertains to the fact that the Sox did not discourage Agon from competing in the HR derby. That was "absurb". In fact even Ortiz's looked a little tired and by having the next three games off should help him replenish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

We, as Red Sox fans, are idiots.  I can not believe what I read.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---TheBabe-----. Show ---TheBabe-----'s posts

I have to agree with those posters who said that agone is too good of a hitter for the HR Derby to affect him. 2-20......Tongue out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any concerns about Agon recovering from the HR contest? So far 0 for 8. He does not look good. His swing right now looks tired and worn out. Does anyone think he should not have been in the HR contest? Granted he did hit a HR in the ASG but than who cares. Sox pay him too much money for that stupid HR contest. 
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

So therefore can we assume Cano won't be hammering away in the 2nd half?  What a relief that would be. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]I have to agree with those posters who said that agone is too good of a hitter for the HR Derby to affect him. 2-20......
    Posted by ---TheBabe-----[/QUOTE]

Wow, 4 posts now.  Way to strive for consistency, Babe.