Adversaries of preference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Adversaries of preference

First Cleveland, secondly A's and hopefully last, anyyone but Braves...No Detroit pitchers, No Texas at all, even if they are now strugling... no Price or Moore...

What is your take?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Adversaries of preference

It doesn't matter in the end the road to the WS always goes through towns with good teams. As it stands now the Sox play the winner of the wild card play in game...which right now would be Tampa v Texas...Both team will have to throw thier best availble starter and as it looks today both teams will be playing 162 games just to get to 163. Advantage Red Sox...The winner of that series then takes on the winner of the Tigers v A's for a chance to play the representative of the senior circuit for all the marbles. The best team on paper doesn't alway win the WS and in fact rarely does. Given that The Sox, Tigers and the A's are all in position clinch early each will have the luxary to set up their rotations and give some of the regulars a blow entering the post season. From then on the team that brings their a game has to win 11 games and the reward for doing so is they get a trophy with shiny flags on it and we the fans get bragging rights for a year...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

It doesn't matter in the end the road to the WS always goes through towns with good teams. As it stands now the Sox play the winner of the wild card play in game...which right now would be Tampa v Texas...Both team will have to throw thier best availble starter and as it looks today both teams will be playing 162 games just to get to 163. Advantage Red Sox...The winner of that series then takes on the winner of the Tigers v A's for a chance to play the representative of the senior circuit for all the marbles. The best team on paper doesn't alway win the WS and in fact rarely does. Given that The Sox, Tigers and the A's are all in position clinch early each will have the luxary to set up their rotations and give some of the regulars a blow entering the post season. From then on the team that brings their a game has to win 11 games and the reward for doing so is they get a trophy with shiny flags on it and we the fans get bragging rights for a year...

Nice analysis, but Indians with pretty good schedule ahead and just a half game out could be WC winner, I prefer them to none in first series...and as events go on, pls no Scherzer and Verlander...just my vho... Go Sox

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

On paper the three best teams in the AL are the three division leaders, Boston, Oakland, and Detroit.  All have good pitching and good hitting (yes, the Athletics have good hitting).  Plus two of them will have the home field advantage in the ALDS. 

However, the best record in the American League right now, Boston's, is a winning percentage of 60%, which means the Sox on average will win a given five game series 3-2, which, last time I checked, is as close as a five game series can get.  And guess what?  On average Oakland and Detroit would do exactly the same thing, win 3 games to 2.  And the phoney-baloney wild card teams?  Yep, on average they too would win 3 games to 2. 

In head to head games, I think the Sox lost to Detroit, tied with Oakland, will probably lose the overall series to Baltimore, crushed the Yankees, etc. 

Bottom line, the teams I fear the most in the AL are Detroit and Oakland, especially if either has the home field advantage.  On the other hand, I also think just about everybody doesn't want to play the Sox now that Buchholz is back and the other three--Lester, Lackey, and Peavy--are also looking pretty good.  Plus the best offense in MLB (big caveat there is good pitching, when it is on, can always overcome good hitting--see Orioles series). 

In 2007 the Colorado Rockies had the best September in the history of the universe and then won won seven more in a row in the NLDS and NLCS.  At the same time the Sox had to scramble to finally beat the Indians, 4 games to 3 in the ALCS.  When the WS started, the Rockies had gone 9 days between games and were promptly swept by the Sox, 4 games to 0.  In the very first game of that WS the Sox scored 13 runs, more than had been scored against the Rockies in all three NLDS games combined or in all four NLCS games combined.  Talk about rusty.  So occasionally even scheduling can make a difference. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Nice analysis, but Indians with pretty good schedule ahead and just a half game out could be WC winner, I prefer them to none in first series...and as events go on, pls no Scherzer and Verlander...just my vho... Go Sox

The Indians are in a good position to make things tough on both Texas and Tampa. The Orioes are in the mix as well only 2 back in the loss column. 

As for the Tigers they'll have their hands full with the A's and if we play them. The goods news is that means we're in the ALCS. This time last year we were in the cellar with a team that looked to be in shambles. I say bring on the Tigers or for that matter the mighty yanks of 1927! Because win lose or draw this has been a great season of baseball in the Fen's...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Doesn't matter.

Bring on whoever...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.  So I'll stay away from stating a preference.

I have a feeling it's gonna be Tito's Tribe though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Doesn't matter.

Bring on whoever...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Doesn't matter.

Bring on whoever...

LOL

Great movie!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Doesn't matter though my preference is to beat the best opposition.  RS over Dodgers in World Series would be perfect!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, Tampa have the most difficult schedule of all wildcard teams.  They got the Orioles for four games and the Yankees for the next three games.  But their last three games are at Toronto.  Do not know what kind of team Toronto will put up against Tampa. 

But there are alot of games to be play for all wildcard teams.  

Teams that more likely to gain games in the wildcard standing this weekend are the Yankees and Indians.  Teams may just stay pact are the KC, Texas, Tampa and Orioles unless there is a sweep by one of these four teams.

It is going to be very interesting how these teams play this weekend.  My hope is that Cleveland sweep Houston and Yankees sweep the Giants where there could be four way to five teams mess in the standing.

If there are going to be at least three tie in the wildcard standing, and then see Boston get the homefield advantage, that is going to be just perfect for Boston!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

What happens if 2 wild card teams end in a tie, like Rays and Rangers are tied now at 83-69. Do they have to play a tie-breaker before the winner plays the other wild card team or is it decided on best record between them, in the conference etc ?

If they need play eachother & then have another wild card game, the winner of that would be my choice as they had to use their best pitchers.

I do not want to play the Orioles in any case. Yup, I'm happy with Lackey's 2 hitter but in 3 games with them we did not do prolific scoring. We got 2runs in game 1 in one inning, 3 in game 2 in two innings and last night got 3 in one inning. So in #1(8 scorless), #2 (10 scorless as 12inning game) and last night (8 scorless) so in 3 games we scored in 4 innings only and had a total of 26 scoreless innings.  Needless to say, we have  a difficult time scoring on the Orioles.

As it is said frequently, however, to be the best, you have to beat the best ! So be it whomever we face !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

What happens if 2 wild card teams end in a tie, like Rays and Rangers are tied now at 83-69. Do they have to play a tie-breaker before the winner plays the other wild card team or is it decided on best record between them, in the conference etc ?

If they need play eachother & then have another wild card game, the winner of that would be my choice as they had to use their best pitchers.

I do not want to play the Orioles in any case. Yup, I'm happy with Lackey's 2 hitter but in 3 games with them we did not do prolific scoring. We got 2runs in game 1 in one inning, 3 in game 2 in two innings and last night got 3 in one inning. So in #1(8 scorless), #2 (10 scorless as 12inning game) and last night (8 scorless) so in 3 games we scored in 4 innings only and had a total of 26 scoreless innings.  Needless to say, we have  a difficult time scoring on the Orioles.

If they end up in tie, then it will be head to head tiebreaker to determine the home team for that one game playoff.  So if Texas and Tampa both have indentical record, Texas will be the home team since they won the season series against Tampa.

Remember, it is harder to score runs in the month of September where most teams tend to use as many pitchers as they can due of September call ups.  That is why we may not see much blow outs in the month of September than in all year along.

Who care, win is win!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Some teams in the wc hunt are 8 to 11 games out.  I don't think with a record like that they belong on the best teams list.

Baseball is a game of streaks so teams like that can win in the post season but if you want to talk about the best teams I think the whole season should count.

Sections
Shortcuts