AFL news on Sox young stars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

AFL news on Sox young stars

The AFL season is over and the Sox young stars acquitted themselves nicely. Travis Shaw the best 1rst baseman in our upper minor league system hit a robust .360, Mookie Betts knocked in the insurance run in the AFL Championship game and Noe Ramirez threw a 3K inning of shutout ball in the AFLCG also. The big fish Garrin Cecchini had a great AFL season while hitting .276 with a .438 OBP with the champion Saugueros and he won the coveted Darnell Stenson award. Great AFL season for these guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: AFL news on Sox young stars

I saw some games on MLB Network, Betts really impressed me. Cant wait to see him this year in Double AA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I saw some games on MLB Network, Betts really impressed me. Cant wait to see him this year in Double AA.

Yeah he has serious speed and he plays a good second base. His biggest problem on getting to the bigs is the guy playing 2nd base in Boston isn't going anywhere's  any time soon, so he will probably need to switch positions, he should ever continue to impress at AA next season .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They moved Betts from SS to 2b, so I wonder if there was an issue or not. Hes a solid ball player and I think he could switch back if need be. Unless Bogaerts does move off of SS in another year or 2, Betts will be completely blocked here. From what Ive seen though, if he keeps developing the way he has, he could be a big piece in a trade to fill a position of need here.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. I wish that I had known that it was on.

[/QUOTE]

They might have some replays on MLB network. might want to look into it just in case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Congrats to a personal friend of mine and a very deserving recipient Kris Bryant, for winning the AFL MVP... Wish the sox could have gotten him but he will definitely give hope to chicago cubs fans everywhere. 

Also, it's good to see our own prospects showing up and giving glimpses of what they might be capable of in the bigs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Yeah he has serious speed and he plays a good second base. His biggest problem on getting to the bigs is the guy playing 2nd base in Boston isn't going anywhere's  any time soon, so he will probably need to switch positions, he should ever continue to impress at AA next season .

[/QUOTE]

With that speed, maybe the OF will be his ending spot, if he sticks with the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Betts turns out to be an excellent hitter, a spot can be found for him. Don't trade him just because of Pedroia. After Ortiz retires, one possibility would be to use a rotation at DH. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It is rare to a player from 2B to SS, but it is not unheard of.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Yeah he has serious speed and he plays a good second base. His biggest problem on getting to the bigs is the guy playing 2nd base in Boston isn't going anywhere's  any time soon, so he will probably need to switch positions, he should ever continue to impress at AA next season .

[/QUOTE]

With that speed, maybe the OF will be his ending spot, if he sticks with the Sox.

[/QUOTE] CF would be a nice place to put him and if he was ready to make the jump he could easily replace Ellsbury speed wise, but alas he's at least 2 yrs away from Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Can't wait until the Seadogs season starts!  My company has season tickets there so whatever the employees don't want....I gobble up quick.  I saw Cecchini quite a bit last year and the kid is built like a major leaguer and can get on base at a great rate.  He needs to focus a bit on his power but it will come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

Can't wait until the Seadogs season starts!  My company has season tickets there so whatever the employees don't want....I gobble up quick.  I saw Cecchini quite a bit last year and the kid is built like a major leaguer and can get on base at a great rate.  He needs to focus a bit on his power but it will come.

Good stuff, I go to all the Games when they come to New Britain. Love Minor League baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is what soxprospects.com has for the projected farm rosters:

http://www.soxprospects.com/2014.htm

Big Names:

Pawtucket: Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, de la Rosa, Cecchini, Hassan, Kalish, Brentz, Lava...

Portland: Owens, Couch, M Pena, B Johnson, Swihart, T Shaw, Betts, Almanzar, Marrero, de la Cruz, Ramos, Coyle...

Salem: Luis Diaz...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Betts turns out to be an excellent hitter, a spot can be found for him. Don't trade him just because of Pedroia. After Ortiz retires, one possibility would be to use a rotation at DH. 

[/QUOTE]Retire ????  Ortiz has several more years yet !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You mean minutes, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

reportedly Mookie Betts was uncomfortable at SS and his bat really took off when he moved to second.  I speculate how much of that is coincidence or if there really was something to him being more comfortable at second and being able to focus on his bat.  It would be nice to find a spot for him though, we will know more in 2015 because if he does move off position then as I speculate he won't change positions until he is in pawtucket. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

reportedly Mookie Betts was uncomfortable at SS and his bat really took off when he moved to second.  I speculate how much of that is coincidence or if there really was something to him being more comfortable at second and being able to focus on his bat.  It would be nice to find a spot for him though, we will know more in 2015 because if he does move off position then as I speculate he won't change positions until he is in pawtucket. 

[/QUOTE] Well if he doesn't switch and he continues to hit then he will be a solid trade chip. Because I'd bet the farm he isn't replacing Pedey. Also I noticed the Sox lost a nice player today in Ryan-Rowland Smith as he signed virtually the same contract he had with the Sox last year with the D-Backs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed Bill.  He has at least 2 solid more years left in him.  I'd do a year by year conract for him for as long as he wants to play.  It's the least they could do for the best post season/clutch hitter the Sox have EVER had.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Agreed Bill.  He has at least 2 solid more years left in him.  I'd do a year by year conract for him for as long as he wants to play.  It's the least they could do for the best post season/clutch hitter the Sox have EVER had.... 

[/QUOTE]

What do you think about 5 years / $100MM for ells to stay in Fens?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) It won't be enough.

2) It's too much to offer and would take up 2/3rds of our winter spending budget.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Well if he doesn't switch and he continues to hit then he will be a solid trade chip. Because I'd bet the farm he isn't replacing Pedey. Also I noticed the Sox lost a nice player today in Ryan-Rowland Smith as he signed virtually the same contract he had with the Sox last year with the D-Backs.

[/QUOTE]

Anthony Carter and Brock Huntzinger are also gone. to SD and Baltimore respectively.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1786389-mike-rosenbaums-official-end-year-top-100-mlb-prospects/#/articles/1786389-mike-rosenbaums-official-end-year-top-100-mlb-prospects/page/42

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even though I'm not very high on Travis Shaw I did find this article to help his cause a bit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/afl-trackman-leaderboards/

They say the bat speed isn't there, and that's not really something you can teach or give, but if his pitch recognition skills improve then perhaps he does have a MLB future with the Raw power that he has.  

I think his ceiling if he develops right is an average defensive firstbaseman on a second division team who can feast off of average pitching.  Perhaps a guy you bat 6th etc etc.

Personally I think if his stock rises and he gets off to a hot start I can see him as a trade candidate next year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hate to tie that much cash on any ONE player not named Pedroia.  With a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years though it may not be a horrible thing.  For some reason I really think that more and more teams will drop out of his bidding and $$ drops further than most think.  ho knows about that one suprise team though....like last year when the Angels came out of nowhere to get Hamilton.  History shows us though that the BIG contracts wind up killing teams later on though....so teams may be 'catching on'?

Sections
Shortcuts