After 25 spring training games . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

After 25 spring training games . . .

The Sox are dead last of 30 MLB teams in OPS and in runs scored per game.  This is also a team that is by and large injury free.  In fact, Sizemore, has been surprisingly healthy and is hitting far better than Bradley, who was the heir apparent to the CF job.  In fact, the more the regulars play these days, the worse the hitting is.  Guys who have been hitting--like Lavarnway, Marrero, Vazquez, Brentz, Brown--are not going to Baltimore (or Boston).  Pedroia is doing fine, and so are Nava and Carp, and that is about it.  No, I'm not forgetting Sizemore.  His OPS so far is .678.  But that's a bunch better than Bradley's .563, plus Bradley leads the team in K's with 17, which is about once per three at bats.  Bradley is hitting .188. 

All of the above is I realize borderline irrelevant.  This is spring training, for crying out loud.  The point is to get some swings, throw some pitches, work on your fielding, and avoid injury.  Nothing else matters. 

Come March 31, now 6 days away, in Baltimore, the Sox will destroy the Orioles, who are unwisely hitting and pitching well in ST.  They clearly didn't get the memo--ST means nothing.  Nothing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: After 25 spring training games . . .

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are dead last of 30 MLB teams in OPS and in runs scored per game.  This is also a team that is by and large injury free.  In fact, Sizemore, has been surprisingly healthy and is hitting far better than Bradley, who was the heir apparent to the CF job.  In fact, the more the regulars play these days, the worse the hitting is.  Guys who have been hitting--like Lavarnway, Marrero, Vazquez, Brentz, Brown--are not going to Baltimore (or Boston).  Pedroia is doing fine, and so are Nava and Carp, and that is about it.  No, I'm not forgetting Sizemore.  His OPS so far is .678.  But that's a bunch better than Bradley's .563, plus Bradley leads the team in K's with 17, which is about once per three at bats.  Bradley is hitting .188. 

All of the above is I realize borderline irrelevant.  This is spring training, for crying out loud.  The point is to get some swings, throw some pitches, work on your fielding, and avoid injury.  Nothing else matters. 

Come March 31, now 6 days away, in Baltimore, the Sox will destroy the Orioles, who are unwisely hitting and pitching well in ST.  They clearly didn't get the memo--ST means nothing.  Nothing. 

[/QUOTE] uh oh, it's all over...pass out the C&B :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hahaha.  Max, you have never struck me as the type of off-kilter lunatic who attempts to divine meaning in either direction from Spring Training.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is one thing we can derive from spring training....and that is who is overreacting to what. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

personally i like to wait for 2 full weeks of regular season games before i think about jumping off the bridge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The team finished first in the AL in runs scored last year. It would be a huge surprise if they do not finish top three this year. How the year will go, as always, depends on how the SP goes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We all know that Spring training records are quickly forgotten when the bell rings. Still, you would like to see the team pick it up in the final few games. Getting off to a good start is always important. Speaking of getting off to a good start, I notice that the Yankees open with three vs. Houston, then three vs. Toronto. Two of the weakest teams in the league. Coincidence??????    Hmmmmmm. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Dominican-Milkshake's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would hope Sizemore is healthy.

I mean, he's only played in a handful of games.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a question of him being healthy, he's had several years off from injury; inherently one can assume he's been uninjured for years.  What is surprising is how well he has picked the game back up.

Of course he comes with huge question marks if he can stay healthy or not....but so does the whole AARP team playing in NY

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

personally i like to wait for 2 full weeks of regular season games before i think about jumping off the bridge.

[/QUOTE]

I think a month is much more reasonable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

We all know that Spring training records are quickly forgotten when the bell rings. Still, you would like to see the team pick it up in the final few games. Getting off to a good start is always important. Speaking of getting off to a good start, I notice that the Yankees open with three vs. Houston, then three vs. Toronto. Two of the weakest teams in the league. Coincidence??????    Hmmmmmm. 

I think you have to look at Cervelli and, of course, Obamacare.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Dominican-Milkshake's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would hope Sizemore is healthy.

I mean, he's only played in a handful of games.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a question of him being healthy, he's had several years off from injury; inherently one can assume he's been uninjured for years.  What is surprising is how well he has picked the game back up.

Of course he comes with huge question marks if he can stay healthy or not....but so does the whole AARP team playing in NY

[/QUOTE]

First, at least he is well rested. Second, it depends on what the nature of his injuries were. You can be off two years from the game and still have an injury that is chronic or recurrent in nature. Its a big IF, but IF he can stay healthy we won't miss Ellsbury at all. Besides, its not like Ellsbury was the picture of health either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

When I first read some of the responses above, I was ready to apologize and admit I was over-reacting--as I have done before--to something I see early in the season.  In this case, not even the season, but ST, for crying out loud.

But then I looked at all the other threads about who said what to whom--surely the one on the White House visit has set a new high for terrible threads--and developed a small affection for my own thread. 

I could be wrong, but at least I'm writing about the Sox and baseball and stats and trends and stuff like that.  And for now I like the notion that maybe the Sox aren't quite ready for the regular season, especially when their first series is against the Orioles, who do seem to be ready.  Baltimore has scored 39 more runs than the Sox in ST and played 3 fewer games.  They are hitting.  We are not. 

I am not predicting what will happen for the season because I'm terrible at that.  This is just about the first series of the season--at Baltimore--and I think the Orioles will win the series.   The good news is Lester gets game 1 and is looking pretty good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

When I first read some of the responses above, I was ready to apologize and admit I was over-reacting--as I have done before--to something I see early in the season.  In this case, not even the season, but ST, for crying out loud.

But then I looked at all the other threads about who said what to whom--surely the one on the White House visit has set a new high for terrible threads--and developed a small affection for my own thread. 

I could be wrong, but at least I'm writing about the Sox and baseball and stats and trends and stuff like that.  And for now I like the notion that maybe the Sox aren't quite ready for the regular season, especially when their first series is against the Orioles, who do seem to be ready.  Baltimore has scored 39 more runs than the Sox in ST and played 3 fewer games.  They are hitting.  We are not. 

I am not predicting what will happen for the season because I'm terrible at that.  This is just about the first series of the season--at Baltimore--and I think the Orioles will win the series.   The good news is Lester gets game 1 and is looking pretty good. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, I am impressed with Baltimore's offense as far as one can be impressed with offense in Spring Training.  buuuut, I am not sure hot ST bats trump Jon Lester and John Lackey when the money is on the table.  My prediction:  Sox take opening series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Let's pick up right where we left off last season when games counted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year Sox were 17-17 and currently now 9-15 this year.  2008 (lost to Tampa in ALCS), they were 8-13.  2007, they were 15-12.  Sounded like the Red Sox are never serious in the spring training.   Remember, they tended to use so many players every day.

I am not worry about the stats, records, etc.  Just let them to loosen up a bit and get ready to beat Baltimore to try to win the first series of the season!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well, I am impressed with Baltimore's offense as far as one can be impressed with offense in Spring Training.  buuuut, I am not sure hot ST bats trump Jon Lester and John Lackey when the money is on the table.  My prediction:  Sox take opening series.

[/QUOTE]

Hope you're right, Space.

I was right at the front of the pack in 2011 and 2012 arguing that the team's poor starts didn't mean the season was over, and so forth...but though the Sox recovered as spring and summer wore on, it seems like a little more than coincidence that those seasons ended so badly, whereas the 2013 squad set the tone with a hot April and never really looked back.

I'd love nothing more than to see us start this season off on the right foot again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Well they proved spring training means they have a lot of question marks??????? If you can't see that then you continue to look at spring training as meaningless.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Wew do suck, and we are all going to die.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can pull up some CERA and WAR numbers to prove this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can pull up some CERA and WAR numbers to prove this.

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hey I can take it but please not the cat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

The sky is falling

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey I can take it but please not the cat.

[/QUOTE]

Trade JBJ and Andrew Miller for Stanton, or the cat gets it!

Sections
Shortcuts