After Jeter, who will be the new "Face of Baseball"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re: After Jeter, who will be the new

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we dont always have a "face of baseball" to choose BUT when we do....it will be world's most interesting man....

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

Stay thirsty my friend!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Pretty sure papi has been used in more mlb ads the past 4 or 5 years than DJ......

other names i have posted under:  none

Bill and 67 can sukk it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before last night's Home Run Derby, there was some discussion on who would be the next "Face of Baseball" once Derek Jeter retires at the end of this season.

In the short term, David Ortiz' name came up, but since the big guy is on the cusp of retirement himself, it's unlikely. In the long term..the overwhelming opinion was Mike Trout. I think I agree with that. 

Any other candidates?

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

[/QUOTE]

when was jeter ever the face of baseball?  he's never been a top 10 player, never sniffed an MVP, and has never even been the best player at his own position; and for several years wasn't the best SS in the city and furthermore for several years was not even the best SS on his own team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before last night's Home Run Derby, there was some discussion on who would be the next "Face of Baseball" once Derek Jeter retires at the end of this season.

In the short term, David Ortiz' name came up, but since the big guy is on the cusp of retirement himself, it's unlikely. In the long term..the overwhelming opinion was Mike Trout. I think I agree with that. 

Any other candidates?

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

when was jeter ever the face of baseball?  he's never been a top 10 player, never sniffed an MVP, and has never even been the best player at his own position; and for several years wasn't the best SS in the city and furthermore for several years was not even the best SS on his own team. 

[/QUOTE]

In 1999 he hit 349 with 24 HRs, a 989 OPS, a league leading 219 Hits, broke RS fans hearts with 2 killer relay throws at Fenway in the PS, and an eventual ring via a WS Sweep, to go with his others, along with his 3400 plus hits and 313 Lifetime BA.

His previous yr, when his team won 125 games and the WSC, also a sweep, may have been even better. The yr after, he basically ended the Subway Series in Game 1. If it wasn't for the flip play in 2001; the team wouldn't have even been in the fall classic, but they did win their 4th consecutive pennant, not easy to do in the modern era, despite losing the WS in 7.

Since U don't consider that to be a top 10 player your credibility is down the tubes.

Your NYY hating clouds your judgement to the point of uselessness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

never sniffed an MVP,

2006.....AL MVP Voting

Voting Results

Batting Stats

Justin Morneau
    MIN
    82%

Derek Jeter
    NYY
    78%

David Ortiz
    BOS
    49%

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

that was the closet but he really didn't deserve to even be in the top 3

Ortiz hit 54 that year and Mauer lost out on "split" votes to his teammate

Justin, David, Joe........

not to mention that jeter wasn't even the best SS in the league that year (see Guillen and DT went to the WS that year).......

never sniffed an MVP,

2006.....AL MVP Voting

Voting Results

Batting Stats

Justin Morneau
    MIN
    82%

Derek Jeter
    NYY
    78%

David Ortiz
    BOS
    49%

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

hat was the closet but he really didn't deserve to even be in the top 3

not to mention that jeter wasn't even the best SS in the league that year (see Guillen and DT went to the WS that year).......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Yasiel Piug may someday become the face of baseball.  If he changes his attitude this could happen.  Mike Trout is probably at the current time but he doesn't play in NY.  I don't consider the Angels to be a small market team but not the same as playing in NY, Chicago, etc.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

First the disclaimer:  I have never been a fan of Derek Jeter, for reasons that don't matter in the context of this post - but I haven't.

I believe that if there WAS a "face of baseball" it could very well have been Jeter.  Certainly not because of his defensive prowess and probably not because he had been in the right place at the right time and surrounded by outstanding players, which enabled him to have more rings than fingers.

IMHO the "face of baseball" was created by the media and the Office of the Commissioner to boost the image of baseball.  Jeter, with his "little boy looks", his longevity in the game while remaining with one team, his playing in a HUGE market, being the SS on a successful team, and his willingness to neither shun nor seek the limelight was the logical choice.  And so it came to pass.

So who's the next one?  I don't see one in the offing. Whomever it is will probably have to come from the East Coast, if only for the media exposure.  It certainly isn't "bad boys" like Puig or Machado.  They have about as much chance of attaining that status as Jonny Gomes.  Sizemore would have been a good candidate had he not been injured and stayed in Cleveland.  Possibly Pedroia, but that may be only my Red Sox bias showing through.

If the Tigers could finally win at least ONE WS it might be Verlander, but I frankly don't even see why we need one.   

And I have never posted here under any other names.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Baseball thrives--as teams do--when there is more than one face.  I have read that going into the 2004 season the face of the Red Sox, the same face that greeted arrivals at Logan Airport, was Nomar Garciaparra.  But Nomar made it clear the Sox latest extension offer was an insult and wanted out, so they traded him midseason, after which two things happened.  First and foremost, the Sox finally broke the 86 year curse of the Bambino.  Second, Nomar was never again offered anywhere near as much money as he turned down.  

Those who joke that ARod is the face of baseball aren't that far of the mark because the scourge of MLB is PED's, and ARod is the most famous practitioner of same.  Ortiz has also been touched by the scourge.  Ditto Clemens and Barry Bonds--more than touched, I should say.  

Which gets us back to Jeter.  I don't consider him to be the face of baseball, but also think he would be a pretty darn good choice.  He has been the polar opposite of ARod.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Trout sounds good but he doesn't get mention a lot... It will be a player who plays for New York 

[/QUOTE]

Why?...Carl Ripken did not play in New York...

[/QUOTE]

Pede has a shot!

[/QUOTE]
    there ya go! I agree. I second the vote for dustin Pedroia.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So when a SS NOT named Jeter goes to the WS, that suddenly matters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] well since that wasn't your point, i call BS...you attempted to state as fact  never sniffed an MVP...you are now attempting to deflect from that fact that you put your foot in your mouth, be careful you don't get dizzy from all that spin you just did

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yasiel Piug may someday become the face of baseball.  If he changes his attitude this could happen.  Mike Trout is probably at the current time but he doesn't play in NY.  I don't consider the Angels to be a small market team but not the same as playing in NY, Chicago, etc.  

[/QUOTE] heck, at the rate he's going, Puig has a better chance at making the cover of Guns & Ammo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Face of baseball?  What the heck is that???  I don't think baseball needs a face it just need good clean play.  I never thought of jeter as the face of baseball.  How did he get that title?  

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  

Eleanor Roosevelt