After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief?

Forget starting pitching or right field, Middle Relief is the RX.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief?

In Response to After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief?:
    [QUOTE]Forget starting pitching or right field, Middle Relief is the RX.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Huh? Based on what?  The middle relief was fine.  The game just lasted to a point that went beyond middle relief and into the bottom of the pen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

We need a solid LH reliever, Williams and Morales are not the answer.  Miller could possibly be the guy in Theo's plans for PS.  This could also be why he hasn't made a solid as of yet.  If I were Theo a trade would be made for a Jimenez type starter, regardless of whether Clay returns.  Having four solid starters without needing to use Lackey or Wake in the PS would be ideal.

Miller becomes our lefty out of the pen and a guy like Jimenez joins the PS pen if Clay, Jon and Josh are all healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Mike Adams would be sweet. Jim Johnson and Koji Uehara from Orioles? Then there is Isrighausen, Frasor, or Coffey...Izzy would work...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

how can you blame mid relief in a game that went 14 innings?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? What from last night's game makes you think they need middle relief? The fact that their last guy in the bullpen gave up runs in the 14th inning on a night your long guy (Aceves) wasn't available.

Try again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

SS is the RX

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief?:
    [QUOTE]how can you blame mid relief in a game that went 14 innings?
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

southpaw, Last night wasn't because of middle relief I agree.  We left a lot of guys on base, blew a suicide squeeze and pitched very well as a whole but we do need a good solid LH reliever.  Theo could possibly solve the problem by trading for another SP and moving Miller to the pen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Would someone give me one rational and sensible reason why Randy Willimas is on this team and not Hideki Okajima?

Williams is god awful and always has been.  He routinely gives up more hits than innings pitched over his career, and he walks almost a batter per inning pitched.  His lifetime WHIP is 1.88!

This is not a sign that middle relief is needed.  Their best middle reliever was unavailable due to pitching multiple innings the night before, and unfortunatley the Sox diddled their way into a 14 inning game last night.  Williams is back-end. And yes, they could use an upgrade there; and they have him in Pawtucket.  His first name rhymes with Bideki.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Would someone give me one rational and sensible reason why Randy Willimas is on this team and not Hideki Okajima? Williams is god awful and always has been.  He routinely gives up more hits than innings pitched over his career, and he walks almost a batter per inning pitched.  His lifetime WHIP is 1.88! This is not a sign that middle relief is needed.  Their best middle reliever was unavailable due to pitching multiple innings the night before, and unfortunatley the Sox diddled their way into a 14 inning game last night.  Williams is back-end. And yes, they could use an upgrade there; and they have him in Pawtucket.  His first name rhymes with Bideki.  
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Mind boggling parhunter I agree

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief? : Huh? Based on what?  The middle relief was fine.  The game just lasted to a point that went beyond middle relief and into the bottom of the pen. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  The game was started after a long rain-delay and extended into extra innings.  Winning games like this are mostly a matter of lucky breaks.  Not sure what time the game got over, but these long games aren't easy for any of the players. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

We should get Bobby Jenks.  If that guy was in our BP they'd be virtually unhittable for 3+ innnings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]Would someone give me one rational and sensible reason why Randy Willimas is on this team and not Hideki Okajima? Williams is god awful and always has been.  He routinely gives up more hits than innings pitched over his career, and he walks almost a batter per inning pitched.  His lifetime WHIP is 1.88! This is not a sign that middle relief is needed.  Their best middle reliever was unavailable due to pitching multiple innings the night before, and unfortunatley the Sox diddled their way into a 14 inning game last night.  Williams is back-end. And yes, they could use an upgrade there; and they have him in Pawtucket.  His first name rhymes with Bideki.  
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE] Couldn't agree more. As soon as they went to Randy Williams I figured the end wasn't far off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Willliams is the only reliever on the staff who needs to be replaced, that's it...everyone else is either doing their job or doing above their job. Albers, Wheeler, Morales, Aceves, Bard, Papelbon is as good a bullpen from top to bottom as any pen ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After Last Night: Sox Need Middle Relief? : southpaw, Last night wasn't because of middle relief I agree.  We left a lot of guys on base, blew a suicide squeeze and pitched very well as a whole but we do need a good solid LH reliever.  Theo could possibly solve the problem by trading for another SP and moving Miller to the pen. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I agree..I think Miller or Doubie will be in the pen..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Oki said a while ago not to call him up and wanted to be traded..I apologize, but I cant remember where I read it as it was a month or 2 ago..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Willliams is the only reliever on the staff who needs to be replaced, that's it...everyone else is either doing their job or doing above their job. Albers, Wheeler, Morales, Aceves, Bard, Papelbon is as good a bullpen from top to bottom as any pen ever.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Williams doesn't belong anymore than Jenks does in the pen.  Some people took what Ozzie said about Jenks as a dislike for the guy but it appears to have some merit.  Williams was obviously a trial/desperate move on the part of Theo because he has lost faith in Oki.  We need a solid LHP in the pen, should we try Miller and trade for another quality starter?  Give Oki another shot? 

I'm not sure but it needs to be addressed ASAP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

7.2 IP of shutout ball by the pen going into the 14th inning last night.  What's wrong with the pen?  The last guy in the pen?  Are people really concerned about the last guy in the pen to the point that they want to focus on that instead of RF or SS?

Personally, I don't have a problem with out RF situation so long as Reddick is starting out there, but honestly some perspective is in order.

Once Buch comes back, Miller will likely end up in the pen with Williams being shown the door.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Once Buch comes back, Miller will likely end up in the pen with Williams being shown the door.

Absolutely true.  Miller has to stay with the big club or they lose him.  But I still think that Oki should be up with the big club.  Dump Randy Williams now.  Bring up Oki, and when Buchholz gets back, put Miller in the pen and dump Morales, who is to my way of thinking just a tad bit better than Williams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm pretty happy with the bullpen.  Pap, Bard, Albers, Aceves, and even Wheeler have all been getting the job done.  We lost to KC Monday night because of weak hitting, not because of the bullpen.  And tonight, Tuesday, we beat KC because the hitting was good and so was the bullpen after Miller gave up 7 big ones. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Willliams is the only reliever on the staff who needs to be replaced, that's it...everyone else is either doing their job or doing above their job. Albers, Wheeler, Morales, Aceves, Bard, Papelbon is as good a bullpen from top to bottom as any pen ever.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Maybe if Hill had stayed healthy, but the '09 pen was incredibly deep.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

If you had better starters you would'nt have to worry so much about middle relief . Middle relief should'nt have to be used every game. Lets try better starters first.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely true.  Miller has to stay with the big club or they lose him.  But I still think that Oki should be up with the big club.  Dump Randy Williams now.  Bring up Oki, and when Buchholz gets back, put Miller in the pen and dump Morales, who is to my way of thinking just a tad bit better than Williams.

Par, I certainly don't disagree on the Oki issue, and I think it's something that should be reconsidered by the FO, but I also recall the reports a month or 2 ago that said Oki didn't want a call up, he wanted to be traded.  Maybe his stance has changed since then, but I'd rather have a Randy Williams who is trying to get the job done, than an Oki who doesn't want to be there and doesn't care about his results.