After the LA trade shouldn't we be below. the Luxury Tax Threshold?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

After the LA trade shouldn't we be below. the Luxury Tax Threshold?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: After the LA trade shouldn't we be below. the Luxury Tax Threshold?

In response to SoxRuleTheRoost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the final numbers will look like, but they will be close since they are paying for all of the those shiny new Dodgers through the end of this season.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox payroll before arb cases and possible re-signs is at about 46mm...After the arb and likely re-signing of a couple players, they will be around 90-100mm...I would think they could end up around 130mm for 2013...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you Dodgers for taking those massive contracts.   lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We were close to being under for 2012 before the deal. We are definitely below now, and are about $95-100M below after arbs are settled this winter going into 2013.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Do not forget that these former red sox guys who were traded during the month of August which that is already past a half of a season.  Since these four guys were making approximately over 60 millions dollars this year.  I assumed Boston already paid them approximately over 45 millions dollars, but Boston have to eat up 10 something millions dollars salary.  Not sure if it is going to be spread out or just for this year.

Per googling Red Sox payroll, I found one site showing Boston current payroll is 146 mm.   But have to wait until after the season is over such as bonus, etc to be add toward to the payroll.

I strongly think that they are going to be under the luxury tax limit!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

am out of town for few weeks, but this was sent to me as a chuckle for the day...thought would share it here if the forum allows me to post the link.  it does not necessarily reflect my own viewpoint, just found it funny..and these days anything about red sox that brings a smile is worth sharing.  http://www.theonion.com/articles/bobby-valentine-the-red-sox-suck-shit-this-year-an,29637/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not forget that these former red sox guys who were traded during the month of August which that is already past a half of a season.  Since these four guys were making approximately over 60 millions dollars this year.  I assumed Boston already paid them approximately over 45 millions dollars, but Boston have to eat up 10 something millions dollars salary.  Not sure if it is going to be spread out or just for this year.

Per googling Red Sox payroll, I found one site showing Boston current payroll is 146 mm.   But have to wait until after the season is over such as bonus, etc to be add toward to the payroll.

I strongly think that they are going to be under the luxury tax limit!

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say if they will be under for 2012, not that it matters much.  As you say the question is how the 12 million or whatever it is they are 'eating' gets applied.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are currently paying the salaries for Gonzo, Beckett, and Crawford, so my guess is that the current payroll is still at $176 mil.  or whatever it was in April. I get the feeling that the OP is trying to guess what the payroll will be in 2013 and Moon has answered that.

[/QUOTE]

No, we are not paying AGon, CC, Punto and Beckett's salaries this year. We are only paying $11-12M over the length of their contracts. We are certainly below the luxury limit this year, since we were very close before the trade.

Yes, the 2013 number was an educated "guess", but we are only on the books for about $45M next year in luxury tax dollars. If we sign all our arb guys to reasonable rates, it comes to about $75-80M- not counting Papi. To get where were were on opening day 2012, we would have about $90-100M in budget room to spend on FAs and/or higher priced players received via trades.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought that the $11 mil. to the Dodgers represented the August and Sept. portion of the salaries of those players.

[/QUOTE]

Cots Baseball Contracts shows the Sox paying a portion of AGon, CC, and Beckett's bonuses over the next few years. See for yourself:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tBbMgiEHXYczpjt0I7dajQQ&output=html

It shows us paying about $3M this year, $3M in 2014, and about $1.7M the following 3 seasons.

Us paying only $3M out of about $11-12M owed these guys after the trade was made most definitely puts us under the luxury tax limit for 2012.

Also, remember that the luxury tax budget is figured off of the average anual salary of a player (including bonuses) and not what he made that one year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't worry, Moonshwemp, there is still room to squeeze your million dollar contract offer to Tim Wakefield.

Maybe Ben Sheets would take the same deal.

Sections
Shortcuts