Age curve of 1B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Age curve of 1B

I was looking at how Napoli compares with other 1B this year.  I was struck by how poorly the big name older guys are doing. 

2013  wRC+ 1B rank:

Davis 27     Votto 29     Goldschmidt  25      Encanarcion 30      Freeman 23      Craig 28      Loney 29        AGon 31     Fielder 29      Morales 30       Belt 25       Trumbo 27    Moss 29     Moreland  27      Rizzo  23         Laroche  33       Swisher 32     Howard  33       Napoli 31     Reynolds 30      GJones 32     Morneau 32     Dunn 33      Pujols 33    Hosmer 23    Pena 35    Overbay 36     Konerko 37

How did McGwire, Bagwell, Palmeiro, Giambi, Thome escape this fate?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Age curve of 1B

Are you serious???

They used steroids, and many other PED

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Pena has never been a good hitter usually lucky if he was over 200. His fielding and HRs kept him in MLB. He had 2 hits in every 10 abs and 1 was a HR in every 20 abs.

i could never understand the love for him in Tampa and that some RS fans lamented that we did not keep him.

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Are you serious???

They used steroids, and many other PED

I don't think Thome did, but everyone else on that list did. Ha!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Not Bagwell either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pena has never been a good hitter usually lucky if he was over 200. His fielding and HRs kept him in MLB. He had 2 hits in every 10 abs and 1 was a HR in every 20 abs.

i could never understand the love for him in Tampa and that some RS fans lamented that we did not keep him.

TBR has sone kind of charm going wiith whoever they choose to play 1B since 2007.

Come on Jim, how can the Rays not get all giddy over a guy who was basically dumped by the Sox and immediately this line in 2007:  .282  46  121  (1.037 OPS). Yes, his BA dropped off steadily since then, but he still had an OBP of .377 and .356 and .325 his last 3 years with TB. He also had 31, 39 (led league), and 28 HRs and 100+ RBIs in 2 of those 3 years.

Then, in 2011 Casey Kotchman goes .306/.378/.422/.800 after having a .616 OPS in 2010, .721 in 2009, and is now at .612 with Cleveland.

Pena's return in 2012 was not a success, but he did have a .333 OBP and 19 HRs. Keppinger had a career year and played his 2nd most games at 1B.

This year, Loney is hitting .316/.367/.477/.845- his best season since 2007. He was at ,630 in 2012.

Sox4ever

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I agree with luck they have had at first. Pena one good year and all others were based solely on his 20 to 25 HRs  and defense. He is what he is but I will say Napoli right now is not much different. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I agree with luck they have had at first. Pena one good year and all others were based solely on his 20 to 25 HRs  and defense. He is what he is but I will say Napoli right now is not much different. 

After his 46 HRs the first year, he had 31, 39 (led league) and 28 before leaving TB. That's not 20-25. His real issue was the steep lowering of his BA and OBP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Back to the original post, lasy year some older guys did better than this year...

153  Fielder  

152  Encarn

138  Craig

132  Pujols

131  Konerko

128  Swisher

127  LaRoche

125  C Hart

123  G Jones

123  Goldschmidt

120  C Davis

116  Teix

115  AGon

115  Freeman

114  Dunn

110  I Davis

108  Alonso

108  Morneau

108  Reynolds

98    C pena

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Not Bagwell either.

The rumors were strong that he did, especially since he got 'much smaller' after the testing ramped up.

Sections
Shortcuts