AGon or Texeira

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

AGon or Texeira

Who is better?

And who will have a better career with their new team, AGon with the Sox or Tex with the Yanks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: AGon or Texeira

Ha ha, good timing for this one.  AGon is kicking serious butt.  But we do have to concede that Tex had a good year for them in '09.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Good Morning all,

I am going to say that perhaps Tex has the edge defensively - seems he may have slightly more range (though AG does extremely well picking short-hop throws from his infielders). 

As for hitting, I think AG is the better hitter.  I say this because of what he has consistently been able to do in line-ups with much less support.  He seems to cover the plate much better as well, and he has power to both L and R field, making him tougher to pitch to.

As for baserunning, well, that's a draw. 

Yanks are probably glad they signed Tex (already helped them win a championship) and I am glad the RS got AG. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Both are AS players with great D and a solid bat..I agree i think Tex might be a tick better in D , but Gonzo has the edge in offense IMO..Both will perform well for their respective teams..as for me personally, Im glad we got Gonzo..Hes a better fit in Boston than Tex would be..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: AGon or Texeira:
    [QUOTE]Both are AS players with great D and a solid bat..I agree i think Tex might be a tick better in D , but Gonzo has the edge in offense IMO..Both will perform well for their respective teams..as for me personally, Im glad we got Gonzo..Hes a better fit in Boston than Tex would be..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Having a switch hitter with power is awesome and should not be discounted. Take A-Gon or Tex, you can't lose, but Tex give you more options, advantage Yanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I just think overall, Gonzo just fits better with Boston..I do believe hes the better hitter. SH makes no difference with Gonzo, as he can hit RHP or LHP just as well and makes the right adjustments. Thats not taking anything away from Tex or discounting his abilities, hes a great talent.. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

So far, it looks like Gonzo is more clutch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

That's a good point Youkiillus, but it's not quite enough in my book.  Since the signing, Tex's numbers are clearly impacted by playing half his games in Yankee stadium - a hitter friendly park, esp for lefties - could you imagine AG hitting there for half of his games?  AG comes from playing half of his games in one of the least hitter friendly parks.  Over time, we may very well see the same trend with the benefit of AG playing in Fenway - I think we will see A WHOLE LOT more of what we saw last night, with him using that wall. 

This would be an interesting discussion for the end of the season - see how AG performs over the course of a season with some protection and no games at PETCO. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Over the last 3 + seasons it is not even close if park adjusted.

Road OPS:       2011           2010 - 2008

AGon              1.039               .989
    Teix                .862                 .835

Plus Teix is very streaky which is not ideal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Both are outstanding players. Either player would do very well on the Sox or the Yanks. AGon has the edge in offense, Tex has the edge in defense. It's a toss up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Both are outstanding players. Either player would do very well on the Sox or the Yanks. AGon has the edge in offense, Tex has the edge in defense. It's a toss up.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE] just a note on from the other side on AG, any fan that hasn't watched a lot of NL games will come to see this guy is a terrific two-way player, Tex has been quality for a good while now...i'll say the same as i said with DP and Robbie....hand me one or the other....i'm goood to go...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]That's a good point Youkiillus, but it's not quite enough in my book.  Since the signing, Tex's numbers are clearly impacted by playing half his games in Yankee stadium - a hitter friendly park, esp for lefties - could you imagine AG hitting there for half of his games?  AG comes from playing half of his games in one of the least hitter friendly parks.  Over time, we may very well see the same trend with the benefit of AG playing in Fenway - I think we will see A WHOLE LOT more of what we saw last night, with him using that wall.  This would be an interesting discussion for the end of the season - see how AG performs over the course of a season with some protection and no games at PETCO. 
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

You're right.  I'll try to remember to bump this at the end of the season.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Tex is not better at D, that is just doesn't fly at all.   The fact you are comparing them after Agon just had major surgery on his shoulder shows that.  He will get back to diving more for balls and getting to them.  He wasn't allowed to do that in Spring training.   I think he does more things right than Tex, including coming in towards the pitcher on that pickoff play when Lester last pitched.  

But putting that aside, they are both great.  Can Tex rebound from last year and his poor start?  Last I looked, AGon is leading both leagues in RBIs ... and is the definition of clutch.   He fits the Sox ... probably better than Tex would have.   Two great, great players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Can we call him Gonzo instead of AGon?  No one on the team calls him AGon.  It's played out -- the J-Lo thing -- and ARod is a d0uche that we'll have to watch for the next 7 years.  Can we have Gonzo instead of AGon? (pretty please?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Silly thread.

Over the past 3 seasons (counting 2011 YTD), Teix has put up the following OPS

That's a combined .895 OPS, or a 134 OPS+

In the same time span, Gonzo has:

That's a combined .938 OPS, or a 158 OPS+

Gonzo is also 1-ish year younger.

You can now close this thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Gonzo is better on D simply because he is left handed.......Tex's biggest asset on D is his reach..........

We need to wait and see of course but my money is on Gonzo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

One thinks for himself, the other let's his wife tell him what to do - Advantage: Red Sox

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Good Morning all, I am going to say that perhaps Tex has the edge defensively - seems he may have slightly more range (though AG does extremely well picking short-hop throws from his infielders).  As for hitting, I think AG is the better hitter.  I say this because of what he has consistently been able to do in line-ups with much less support.  He seems to cover the plate much better as well, and he has power to both L and R field, making him tougher to pitch to. As for baserunning, well, that's a draw.  Yanks are probably glad they signed Tex (already helped them win a championship) and I am glad the RS got AG. 
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the defensive edge KT.  Yeah, Tex surely has more lateral range, but Gonzo makes up for it with his uncanny reflexes and good hops snaring line drives.  And the defensive X factor surely goes to Gonzalez with his picking of throws in the dirt (probably a 1Bs most important skill, and certainly more imortant than lateral range, especially with pedey playing second).  I have not seen a guy pick dirt-throws like this since ... well ... Youk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

posted at 5/17/2011 11:01 AM EDT
    First: 4/15/2011
    Last: 5/17/2011
    Big Gums also hits in a left handed hitting park.  Gonzo still is more impressive.
    "
    RWTK, i think Tex would still get his share of jacks playing at Fenway...straight away RF at Fenway isn't unreachable, though i suspect he'd have a good number of them RH....this isn't to sway anyone away from AG...i'd take him in a minute.. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Who really cares who's better with the glove? A. Both are really good, and B. 1B is the least premium defensive position on the field, so who's better doesn't really matter.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. I think that RF at Yankee Stadium is the easiest place in the majors to go "deep". It sort of reminds me when you play wiffle ball in the backyard and all you have to do to drive a wiffle ball with distance is to get under it with an slight upper cut swing. If you hit it too hard, on the nose, the ball just knuckles and it doesn't carry. But, if you sort of serve under the ball with a more loping, long swing, the ball carries with an overdrive to it. You just get under it a bit at Yankee Stadium, even in the old park, and it's a lefthanded hitter's paradise for homeruns, far more so than a 37 foot wall in left field at Fenway. Look at Damon's homerun totals or now with Granderson. All bloated numbers in pinstripes. Take off about 10 homeruns away per year for any Yankee hitter in any other ballpark.

Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

So should we take about 10-15 doubles away per year for any sawx hitter in any other park?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

RidingWithThe King, 8 of Granderson's 14 HR's have come on the road, and since 2007 is  home/road is..50/63...

Sections
Shortcuts