AGon's numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AGon's numbers

Rbi's, hits, rising OPS, games played, etc.--all good.

But two things grab me more than anything else. 

First, he has a humoungous 23 rbi's already in August with roughly 1/3 of the month still to go.  If he gets 7 more rbi's, which should be easy, he will have 30 for the month, which would translate to 180 rbi's in a season.  A very good month. 

But what's really surprising about those 23 rbi's is Ortiz ain't played in any August games.  That's right.  Instead of Mr. "over .400 OBP" batting ahead of him, AGon has had marginal OBP guys like Ells, .302, CC, .306,  and Pedey, .333.   

Second, AGon's walks are down this year, way down.  At the current rate he will finish with 41, his lowest ever for a full season.    I think it's because he is deliberately swinging at anything hittable because he believes his job is to drive in runs and not get too picky--the polar opposite of J.D. Drew who used to pray for walks.  I'm also guessing AGon doesn't get walked because his home runs are down this year. 

What's that saying?  "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."  That's AGon, easily the toughest player on a Sox team going thru very tough times.    He stays off the DL and he delivers--without much help from his teammates.  Did I forget to say he played RF 18 times (I thought it was 16, but was wrong)?

Oh, and I apologize for praising a player who thinks actions speak louder than words.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: AGon's numbers

Gonzalez is the only person on that roster of high priced talent actually earning his salary. And you're right, he's most certainly not looking to draw a walk due to the no Ortiz factor. The light bulb went off in his head when Big Papi got hurt. I think he realized that he has to carry the team in some way. He's done that, but since the team truly just is terrible, it's made little difference. He's the MVP of the team for the 2nd straight season. I want to publicly apologize to AGON for criticizing him in the 1st half of the season because of his power failure. He's proven once again that great hitters don't stay in slumps for too long. I hate the venom he got from the whole text shenanigans, and I still think he got way too much abuse for "god's will" line of last year. He's a deeply religious man, and that's how he was brought up. You can't criticize him for something he truly believes in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to AGon's numbers:
    Rbi's, hits, rising OPS, games played, etc.--all good. But two things grab me more than anything else.  First, he has a humoungous 23 rbi's already in August with roughly 1/3 of the month still to go.  If he gets 7 more rbi's, which should be easy, he will have 30 for the month, which would translate to 180 rbi's in a season.  A very good month.  But what's really surprising about those 23 rbi's is Ortiz ain't played in any August games.  That's right.  Instead of Mr. "over .400 OBP" batting ahead of him, AGon has had marginal OBP guys like Ells, .302, CC, .306,  and Pedey, .333.    Second, AGon's walks are down this year, way down.  At the current rate he will finish with 41, his lowest ever for a full season.    I think it's because he is deliberately swinging at anything hittable because he believes his job is to drive in runs and not get too picky--the polar opposite of J.D. Drew who used to pray for walks.  I'm also guessing AGon doesn't get walked because his home runs are down this year.  What's that saying?  "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."  That's AGon, easily the toughest player on a Sox team going thru very tough times.    He stays off the DL and he delivers--without much help from his teammates.  Did I forget to say he played RF 18 times (I thought it was 16, but was wrong)? Oh, and I apologize for praising a player who thinks actions speak louder than words.
    Posted by maxbialystock

Agon never has been, nor ever will be, a problem.

If his worst effort  of his career winds up being hitting 310 with 20 homers and 120 Ribbies, while playing excellent D at First and filling in capably in RF I will take that all day long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Also, when I did criticize him, it was purely in baseball terms only. Never did I ever question his work ethic, his ability--only his performance or lack of power that he exhibited for a long period going into July.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I feel the same way about Pedroia as far as effort/ability. I too hate the criticism he's received from fans over his supposed rift with BV and his quotes. And in his case, injury or not, his offense has suffered the whole season and for that you can criticize him for lack of performance as a hitter only. His defense is still Gold Glove ability.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

How about telling us what his numbers are for 8-9  and extra innings w/RISP.
    He's great early in games, and does very little late in games.
    The next big hit he gets when the game is on the line, will be his first this season.
    Late and close, he's hitting .267 with 10 RBI and 10K s.
    He is hitting .100 in extra innings with zero RBI!!! .171 in the 9th inning with 3 RBI. .264 in the 8th inning with 9 RBI.
    Hideous numbers. He's a frontrunner.
    Sorry to rain on the deification of Gonzalez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

mclefty, i'm disappointed in you. You want AGON to have 40 HR, 150 RBI and hit a HR every 9th inning, and it's just not going to happen. His last at bat in the Yankee game on Sunday...shot liner down the line, missed being a double by an inch. Then he hit a foul HR, then he struck out on a changeup. But the reality? Like most Sox games, if he hit a HR there it would have only been 4-2...Oh yeah, and he was the one who hit a bomb in the 6th, so hard to criticize AGON at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I have said all along that Adrian would get hot.   All the freaking out about his performance early is just typical high brow behavior in Boston .....lots of whine and jeeeesh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Britt203. Show Britt203's posts

All I know is that when the games meant something - in the first half of the season - when the Sox still had a chance -   A-Gon was useless.   Not clutch, powerless,  striking out all the time.    Now that they are out of the race,  A-Gon is on a tear.     He is NOT a clutch player.     He seems to be great when the pressure is off -  like in San Diego-  when the team is not in the race.       Same with Crawford.   

Mix in the current lousy pitching staff,  and no pitching prospects even close to helping this team,   and this team will go nowhere for a LONG time.     We're losing all our "Money" "Clutch" players.   (Youk,  Ells will be gone soon,  etc...)    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: AGon's numbers":
    How about telling us what his numbers are for 8-9  and extra innings w/RISP. He's great early in games, and does very little late in games. The next big hit he gets when the game is on the line, will be his first this season. Late and close, he's hitting .267 with 10 RBI and 10K s. He is hitting .100 in extra innings with zero RBI!!! .171 in the 9th inning with 3 RBI. .264 in the 8th inning with 9 RBI. Hideous numbers. He's a frontrunner. Sorry to rain on the deification of Gonzalez. Posted by rightymclefty
    I think you may find that, as pedestrian as those numbers are, they probably still lead the team in those areas. I would like to know the number of PAs in those situations as well.I

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Zero RBI and .100 BA in exra innings leads the team? 3 RBI and .171 in the 9th inning leads the team? No wonder why they stink!
    Agree 100% with Britt203.
    Gaudy numbers in garbage time.
    Lots of big stats early in games.
    Please, someone, tell me when Agon got a big hit late in a single game this season.
    Be honest.....is Adrian Gonzalez soemone you want at the plate, with the game on the line?
    Not me. I recall guys like Papi, Manny, Tony C and Dwight Evans hitting walkoff homers.
    Not Agon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: AGon's numbers:
    How about telling us what his numbers are for 8-9  and extra innings w/RISP. He's great early in games, and does very little late in games. The next big hit he gets when the game is on the line, will be his first this season. Late and close, he's hitting .267 with 10 RBI and 10K s. He is hitting .100 in extra innings with zero RBI!!! .171 in the 9th inning with 3 RBI. .264 in the 8th inning with 9 RBI. Hideous numbers. He's a frontrunner. Sorry to rain on the deification of Gonzalez.
    Posted by rightymclefty

You you are more concerned with what he hits in the 8th innning than what he hits with RISP.

Don't worry.  You didn't rain on anything.  BA with no one on when your teamd is down by 4 in the 8th inning means absolutely nothing.

RISP is RISP.  It doesn't matter what inning it is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Really? Let's look at CAREER stats.
    Agon in 9th inning .274 .820 OPS
    Extra innings .259
    Not much happening in over 500 career games.
    Now, let's compare him to a real late gamer, Ryan Braun, a guy who's hit  HRs to get the Brewers into playoffs, twice:
    9th inning .366 .1044 OPS!
    Extra innings, .291
    Which player do you want up with the game on the line?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Zero RBI and .100 BA in exra innings leads the team? 3 RBI and .171 in the 9th inning leads the team? No wonder why they stink! Agree 100% with Britt203. Gaudy numbers in garbage time. Lots of big stats early in games. Please, someone, tell me when Agon got a big hit late in a single game this season. Be honest.....is Adrian Gonzalez soemone you want at the plate, with the game on the line? Not me. I recall guys like Papi, Manny, Tony C and Dwight Evans hitting walkoff homers. Not Agon.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Out of his 210 career homers 2 were walk off, 22 were tying, 80 were go ahead.  

Out of Evans 385 4 were walk off 46 tying, 128 were go ahead.

Tony C hit 166. 1 was walk off 18 was tying, 58 was go ahead.

Ramirez had 555 3 were walk off 51 were tying, 175 were go ahead.

So doing some simple math Agon has a higher percentage of walk off, tying and go ahead then Manny and Tony C and is about the same as Dewey.  All stats are from Baseball Reference.com

Obviously Papi is a beast in walk offs.  he wins.  

Glad we cleared that up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Really? Let's look at CAREER stats. Agon in 9th inning .274 .820 OPS Extra innings .259 Not much happening in over 500 career games. Now, let's compare him to a real late gamer, Ryan Braun, a guy who's hit  HRs to get the Brewers into playoffs, twice: 9th inning .366 .1044 OPS! Extra innings, .291 Which player do you want up with the game on the line?
    Posted by rightymclefty

You aren't getting it.  The 9th inning doesnt mean the game is on the line.

RISP is clutch.  9th inning a team could be up 7 to 2 or down 11 to 1.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

In Response to Re: AGon's numbers : Out of his 210 career homers 2 were walk off, 22 were tying, 80 were go ahead.   Out of Evans 385 4 were walk off 46 tying, 128 were go ahead. Tony C hit 116. 1 was walk off 18 was tying, 58 was go ahead. Ramirez had 555 3 were walk off 51 were tying, 175 were go ahead. So doing some simple math Agon has a higher percentage of walk off, tying and go ahead then Manny and Tony C and is about the same as Dewey.  All stats are from Baseball Reference.com Obviously Papi is a beast in walk offs.  he wins.   Glad we cleared that up.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Me too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If you hit 30 homers and drive in 115 runs or hit 18 homers and drive in 115 runs is there really any difference?

Every single player in the Majors who have more ribbies than AGon have twice as many homers... so what I say. 115 ribbies is 115 ribbies.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

You guys win! Gonzalez is a great clutch hitter. Yeah, like you'd rather have him up in the clutch than any of the guys I mentioned.
    One who does crap in late innings.
    RIPS when it all comes in the first few innings is a BS stat.
    I suppose extra innings means the game wasn't close, either?
    .100 and ZERO RBI. So that doesn't count as clutch? Please.
    What has Gonzales done this year for big hits? Squat.
    God, talk about spin!
    Oh, Tony C's number equal 66% of his HRs walkoff, tie or go ahead.
    Gonzalez' equal 49%.
    YOU do the math

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

9th inning homers

Gonzo 17 out of 215

Ramirez 31 out of 555

Evans 30 out of 385

Tony C 14 out of 166.

Gonzo is a way better 9th inning home run hitter than Manny and Tony C and about the same as Evans 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You guys win! Gonzalez is a great clutch hitter. Yeah, like you'd rather have him up in the clutch than any of the guys I mentioned. One who does crap in late innings. RIPS when it all comes in the first few innings is a BS stat. I suppose extra innings means the game wasn't close, either? .100 and ZERO RBI. So that doesn't count as clutch? Please. What has Gonzales done this year for big hits? Squat. God, talk about spin!
    Posted by rightymclefty

Spin?  All I am doing is giving you his stats against the guys you said were better.

RISP means that he hits well with guys in scoring position.  Which is a good thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Gonzo has been the only reliable hitter lately, especially with runners in scoring position.  What I found annoying and an indication of fickle fans is the flak he got when he had the nerve to fail to hit in those situations for a few games, when NO ONE ELSE DID EITHER.  Most of the lineup pops it up or strikes out with guys in scoring postion lately.

Fans have done got spoilt by his production.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Once more, I'll ask the question.
    I don't give a rat's patoot what Gonzalez did in SD.
    Point out ONE big hit this season in late innings.
    Simple.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Once more, I'll ask the question. I don't give a rat's patoot what Gonzalez did in SD. Point out ONE big hit this season in late innings. Simple.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Oh so youre comparing Evans and Tony c's entire careers with the Red sox, and all the time Manny was here and ortiz has been here, to Agon's year and a half for total walk offs and  big hits.

You should have just said so.

Once again.  RISP is WAY more important than late inning hits.   You think if he drives in 2 runs in the 6th it is less important then him driving in two runs in the 8th.  It isn't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

We need more dog avatar posters here!

Sections
Shortcuts