AGon's numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: AGon's numbers

In Response to Re: AGon's numbers:
    In Response to Re: AGon's numbers : stupid as always.
    Posted by mryazz

That's true, I was trying to be nice. You were stupid.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Do Agon's late inning numbers remind anyone of Jim Double-play Rice? 

Great in garbage time. 

Useless late in meaningful games.

But good enough to get in HOF (not on my card).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Amazing about the complaints AGon doesn't hit in the clutch, as if runs scored early don't count. 

So maybe you should naysayers should consider this.  Look at it from the pitching side.  If you honestly don't think early runs are important, you must love it when our pitchers give up bunches early on, almost as if those runs don't count. 

The reality is that all runs, early or late, count, and every team, without exception, takes them when they can get them.  And very often early runs set the tone for the entire game--get ahead, stay ahead; get behind, stay behind. 

In the recent 3 game series against the Yankees, it was the early 2 run dinger by AGon that basically won game 2--get ahead, stay ahead.  His late dinger in game three should have ignited a Sox rally, but it didn't, so it was the only run. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

his last at bat reads as a K, but he had a tremendous at bat--foul HR and a line shot down the line, probably missed the white chalk by 2 inches. The guy is getting great at bats, he has 40 RBI since All-Star Break. He's awesome on a team of underachievers and minor leaguers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Yeah, like you never cherry picked stats. He doesn't hit in the 9th inning for his career, or extra inning. He hasn't this year, either. Prove me wrong.
    Posted by rightymclefty

You went to baseball reference to find these splits, and you took Gonzalez's .259 average to support the idea that he doesn't hit well in extra innings.  Sitting right next to that .259 was a .422 OBP that would indicate to anybody over the age of four with a functional brain that nobody is stupid enough to pitch to Gonzalez in extra innings.  The man has been walked intentionally once every 8.5 PAs in extra innings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I'm late to this, but I'll just repeat what I said on another thread: I wish this team had four more Adrian Gonzalezes.
    Posted by LloydDobler

That would be too confusing for BV...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Do Agon's late inning numbers remind anyone of Jim Double-play Rice?  Great in garbage time.  Useless late in meaningful games. But good enough to get in HOF (not on my card).
    Posted by tjwoods

Well, I guess that leaves out Ted Williams who had like 5 singles in the 1946 World Series.  Talk about a guy who couldn't hit when it really, really, really counted--his one and only shot at a WS ring.

Which is nonsense, of course.  He remains a candidate for best hitter ever. 

As for AGon, I think it's way too early to put him in the HOF. All I'm saying is he has carried a heckuva load in August because the rest of the lineup mostly stinks. I well remember all of Ortiz's complaints when Manny left, how he would no longer get a "pitch to hit." AGon doesn't gripe, he just hits the pitches he does get. 

An rbi is still an rbi is still an rbi.  Right now opposing teams would be nuts to give him a pitch to hit with the game on the line, so we should be happy to see him swinging at pitches in the early innings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Ranking on our best player.  You guys are dirt.  Seriously, I hear Tampa needs some fans, GET LOST. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: AGon's numbers : Out of his 210 career homers 2 were walk off, 22 were tying, 80 were go ahead.   Out of Evans 385 4 were walk off 46 tying, 128 were go ahead. Tony C hit 166. 1 was walk off 18 was tying, 58 was go ahead. Ramirez had 555 3 were walk off 51 were tying, 175 were go ahead. So doing some simple math Agon has a higher percentage of walk off, tying and go ahead then Manny and Tony C and is about the same as Dewey.  All stats are from Baseball Reference.com Obviously Papi is a beast in walk offs.  he wins.   Glad we cleared that up.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Nice work, Snakeoil.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Agree with max's point - an RBI is an RBI.  Early RBI's that give you the lead are a key to winning games.

Agree with slomag's point - look at his late inning walks - he's not being pitched to in those big RBI situations.

Agree with all the AGon supporters here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

his last at bat reads as a K, but he had a tremendous at bat--foul HR and a line shot down the line, probably missed the white chalk by 2 inches. The guy is getting great at bats, he has 40 RBI since All-Star Break. He's awesome on a team of underachievers and minor leaguers.
    Posted by dannycater

He is doing it without any of the mutual protection from Big Papi in the line-up at the same time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Do Agon's late inning numbers remind anyone of Jim Double-play Rice?  Great in garbage time.  Useless late in meaningful games. But good enough to get in HOF (not on my card).
    Posted by tjwoods

I don't know who you are, but in a single post you've made it clear I'll never take the time to find out.

Stunningly softy ....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

At some point, AGon will join Ted Williams and Jacoby Ellsbury as two of the greatest players in Red Sox history.
    Posted by TrotterNixon
    I can't believe you're still capping on Johnny Pesky softlaw. The guy's dead, you really need to lay off him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

At some point, AGon will join Ted Williams and Jacoby Ellsbury as two of the greatest players in Red Sox history.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

At some point, you'll develop a conscience and stop all this foolishness.

Check that ... you're a lawyer.   You'll never change for the better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I heard you need to drop your pants to count to 21! Not that it's any of your business, but I don't know Drewski, except as a poster. I like his posts. Unlike you, he has a brain and contributes actual thoughts to this forum.
    Posted by rightymclefty

You would have booed Yaz for popping up to Nettles to end plaoff game. You would have booed TSW for not hitting .420. Leave it alone. You post more negative crud than any one else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

being hindsight, if Theo Boy wonder hadn't made the trade, who would you rather have Pujols, Fielder or agon
    Posted by OutoftownPATSfan

Gonzo, and it is not even close.  Pujols is at least $75M overpaid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

At least Gonzo didn't get the batting coach fired, but Pujols did with the Angels--Mickey Hatcher. Lot of good that did for the dugout and team morale...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

RISP isn't clutch -- so far, I don't see Gonzo as a clutch hitter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Aw, I've been insulted by bozofromfl.
    Another non-contributor  beauty.
    Guess you boycott Dirtdogs, or you might cry.
    Tell me, choochie coo, what's positive to say about this team, other than they positively stink!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Aw, I've been insulted by bozofromfl. Another non-contributor  beauty. Guess you boycott Dirtdogs, or you might cry. Tell me, choochie coo, what's positive to say about this team, other than they positively stink!
    Posted by rightymclefty
    You haven't been insulted from FLA until babe has capped on you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Carnie, I can hardly wait. Ugh!

Sections
Shortcuts