AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio 18m

Ross on AJ Pierzynski: "His resume speaks for itself. He's won a championship. I don't think you can go wrong with signing a guy like that."

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1m

Would not discount the influence #RedSox pitching coach Juan Nieves had on the Pierzynski deal. The two worked together in Chicago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

32 games in Fenway .322 avg.

[/QUOTE]

against RS pitching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not understand the hate last year CS was 33% BA was 272 with OPS 722 his Career CS is 28% and 283/750 Age is 38 but if two years he and Ross are a good short term combo and great teachers for the young guys.

IMHO much of the hate comes from his personality which can be abrasive with other teams and the media.

He has too be a good clubhouse guy since we know how much that is valued in Boston now.

Much like all the hate spewed last year when guys were signed I will still say the same I said last year ------ The FO knows a lot more than us.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get too carried away with that statement.

They did sign Valentine.

The only saving grace is that Cherrington was reported to be in favor of getting Farrell  instead.

I guess I'll have to hold my nose and root for the guy.

[/QUOTE]

Valentine was pushed by the OWNERS not BC in 2012 last year 2013 the owners let BC do his thing. The owners learned to trust BC. BTW Moon the CS was in reference to one saying it was 22%

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Not bad clutch stats for his career, against all Pitchers. .290 BA against RHP .285 against RH Starter. Career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Do not understand the hate last year CS was 33% BA was 272 with OPS 722 his Career CS is 28% and 283/750 Age is 38 but if two years he and Ross are a good short term combo and great teachers for the young guys.

IMHO much of the hate comes from his personality which can be abrasive with other teams and the media.

He has too be a good clubhouse guy since we know how much that is valued in Boston now.

Much like all the hate spewed last year when guys were signed I will still say the same I said last year ------ The FO knows a lot more than us.

[/QUOTE]

Career CS is 25% and he will be catching some of ther slowest deliveries in MLB, will be 37, 297OBP last year. Im not thrilled about it, but its only a 1yr deal and I will pray that Vaquez lights it up the 1st half and gets called up, or AJ surprises me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Bye Bye SALTY........  Lavarnway, 45 minutes away off of I-95 !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

reported by Jon Heyman.  nothing on dollar amount and yr but I'm thinking 2 yr $16M.

[/QUOTE]

1 year.....Thats one year to much

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You realize that Lavarnway doesnt have a job now, right? AJ and Ross in Boston and Vasquez starting in AAA with Butler as BU.

Give him a 1b mit already or trade him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think in a couple of years Swihart will be Sox Number 1 Catcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If the Sox were holding firm not to sign Saltalamacchia to a three year deal this is a GREAT signing for the 2014 season.

First, his stats from last year were every bit as good as Saltalamacchia's in many catagories including games played no matter what his age is.

Second, he is signing for only a year at a time which yields roster flexibility for 2015 and beyond.

Third, he hits lefthanded which will complement Ross very well, and much better than any right handed hitting catcher would have been able to do.  AJ for 110 games and Ross for 50.

Fourth, he did not cost a draft pick or one of the team's top pitching prospects.

Fifth, if the rumor of his contract being somewhere near $7M is true, he will be less expensive than Saltalamacchia would have been for 2014.

Sixth, he was better than Buck, Navarro, Pena, Arencibia, etc were in 2013 and probably will be better than all of those guys in 2014 as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get too carried away with that statement.

They did sign Valentine.

The only saving grace is that Cherrington was reported to be in favor of getting Farrell  instead.

I guess I'll have to hold my nose and root for the guy.

[/QUOTE]

Valentine was pushed by the OWNERS not BC in 2012 last year 2013 the owners let BC do his thing. The owners learned to trust BC. BTW Moon the CS was in reference to one saying it was 22%

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that'll be the case, until the next time Larry decides to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If it's really a one-year deal, so much the better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

it's 1 yr deal.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok.  it's 1 yr deal.  

[/QUOTE]

Thank god...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think in a couple of years Swihart will be Sox Number 1 Catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Im not sure he will be better than Vasquez. There is stil some question if Swihart will actually stick as a catcher. Hes a small framed kid for a catcher. Vasquez is very good, dont underestimate him.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Are Peavy and AJ getting along these days?

[/QUOTE]

Their "fight" was overblown.  Two ultra-competitive guys in the heat of battle, but it ended on the field.  

It was no different than what we all saw for years when Orlando Hernandez pitched to Jorge Posada.

[/QUOTE] LOL notin, i used to think any minute El Duque was going to throw Jorgie's mask into CF Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Maybe Ill warm up to him. Hopefully hes the typical love to hate him type. Love him when he plays for you, and hate him if he doesnt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'm skeptical too, but we didn'y lose a Pick, and Ben seems to know his stuff. We'll see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham Pete Abraham  Verified account @PeteAbe

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe3m

Much will be made of Pierzynski's personality. But he's joining a veteran team that won the WS and has established leaders.

2. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe5m

More on the #RedSox agreeing with A.J. Pierzynski: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/12/red_sox_to_sign_catcher_aj_pierzynski.html 

3. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe6m

In retrospect, a qualifying offer for Salty might have made sense for the #RedSox, even if he took it.

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe11m

Here is a strange one. Pierzynski is a career .322/.328/.424 hitter at Fenway (121 PAs) but does not have a HR#redsox

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe5m

Good luck to Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Guy came a long way as a player, always accountable and good to fans, too. He'll be missed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I hope its for only 1 year. Dont get mad when he doesnt throw anyone out (25%cs) and doesnt hit much (.297OBP).

I'll cheer for him because hes a Red Sox player now. Dont really like it. They wanted a LHH Catcher. They got it. Maybe Ill warm up to it.

AJ won't have the brain freezes Salty had at times and the pitchers will respect him.  He also has good career PS numbers and hits very well at Fenway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This looks like end of Lavarnway. Ryan we hardly knew ye.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hope its for only 1 year. Dont get mad when he doesnt throw anyone out (25%cs) and doesnt hit much (.297OBP).

I'll cheer for him because hes a Red Sox player now. Dont really like it. They wanted a LHH Catcher. They got it. Maybe Ill warm up to it.

AJ won't have the brain freezes Salty had at times and the pitchers will respect him.  He also has good career PS numbers.

[/QUOTE]

We'll see how he does. His performance will speak for itself, whether its good, bad or just...meh.

To say a player wont make a mistake is not a safe bet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Think it's for one year.  Two catchers in their late 30s, Ross missed time last year, might be seeing plenty of Vazquez next season already. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

AJ won't have the brain freezes Salty had at times and the pitchers will respect him.  He also has good career PS numbers.

[/QUOTE]

We'll see how he does. His performance will speak for itself, whether its good, bad or just...meh.

To say a player wont make a mistake is not a safe bet.

[/QUOTE]

He should be nice compliment southpaw.  He hits something like 322 at Fenway and has had solid PS numbers as well.  I never said he won't make mistakes but he knows the game and won't throw balls away as much.  He has pretty good judgement and should earn the respect from the staff.