AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe3m

Much will be made of Pierzynski's personality. But he's joining a veteran team that won the WS and has established leaders.

[/QUOTE] don't worry..# 15 will let him know how things work around here Tongue OutWink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I hope its for only 1 year. Dont get mad when he doesnt throw anyone out (25%cs) and doesnt hit much (.297OBP).

I'll cheer for him because hes a Red Sox player now. Dont really like it. They wanted a LHH Catcher. They got it. Maybe Ill warm up to it.

[/QUOTE]

AJ won't have the brain freezes Salty had at times and the pitchers will respect him.  He also has good career PS numbers.

[/QUOTE]

We'll see how he does. His performance will speak for itself, whether its good, bad or just...meh.

To say a player wont make a mistake is not a safe bet.

[/QUOTE]

He should be nice compliment southpaw.  He hits something like 322 at Fenway and has had solid PS numbers as well.  I never said he won't make mistakes but he knows the game and won't throw balls away as much.  He has pretty good judgement and should earn the respect from the staff.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so craze. Like I said, I dont really like it but I will cheer for him and maybe even warm up to it at some point.

With 2 37yo catchers, I think mex is right. We could see a decent amount of Vasquez this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not understand the hate

I like the signing, Salty was benched when it mattered the most.  He was always going to struggle mentally with that if he stayed.  Plus last off-season it was written that the Sox shopped him heavily, in part due to lack of work ethic. That might be bull, but Iglesias was a punk and he was the first to go.

Much like all the hate spewed last year when guys were signed I will still say the same I said last year ------ The FO knows a lot more than us.

Kiss a little more butt why don't you Jim.  Ben has earned great kudos for the 2013 signings but it has been widely chronicled that he was the driving force to sign Crawford.  If Victorino pulls a ham and misses half of 2013,....luck plays a big part.   Theo and Ben went through quite a few closers before Koji stepped up.   This is the same Koji who was rocked down the stretch in 2011.  It all worked in 2013, thank goodness, but even guys with good track records like Cashman, Theo, and Ben make some howlers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Good player, but I've never really liked the guy. Hope that changes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bye Bye SALTY........  Lavarnway, 45 minutes away off of I-95 !!!

[/QUOTE]

You realize that Lavarnway doesnt have a job now, right? AJ and Ross in Boston and Vasquez starting in AAA with Butler as BU.

Give him a 1b mit already or trade him.

[/QUOTE]  with two "older" catchers,  INSURANCE is the name of the game !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You realize that Lavarnway doesnt have a job now, right? AJ and Ross in Boston and Vasquez starting in AAA with Butler as BU.

[/QUOTE]

Wishing Ross or AJ get hurt will keep you busy, next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wishing Ross or AJ get hurt will keep you busy, next year.

[/QUOTE]There ya go again ......  Im not wishing that anyone gets hurt, as BEN has done a good job with this move......  We are going to be better than last year behind the plate.......  Just saying, because of age/injury we have a 3rd catcher just down the street !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and his name is Vasquez. Sorry, your mancrush will have to switch positions because hes not that good as a catcher, or he will get traded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Something tells me Lavarnway wont be here next year too. Expanded Trade, to get some salary relief.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

What's your bet on the money for one year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

With a 1 year deal and Ross done after this season, we can expect some kids coming soon to the Catchers Position. Remember  in this Draft, one of the Strongest Position is Catcher. Can never have enough.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's your bet on the money for one year?

[/QUOTE]

7-8M

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am not an AJ fan but a One year deal is something you can live with.....he hits for AVG , has some Pop nad has a decent arm....plus he annoys the opposing teams. My hope would be that the Sox are thinking the $ they save on a 3 year Salty signing can be used better elsewhere....possibly Ells, if his Market for a CC like deal does not materialize. I also think the Sox believe that Vazquez is major league ready now.....yes he needs some work offensively but they proably feel defensively he is more than ready....he has some pop.....so if need me they could live with him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He got 7.5 last year, so my guess 8 Million. Wow he does not walk much, in his career.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not an AJ fan but a One year deal is something you can live with.....he hits for AVG , has some Pop nad has a decent arm....plus he annoys the opposing teams. My hope would be that the Sox are thinking the $ they save on a 3 year Salty signing can be used better elsewhere....possibly Ells, if his Market for a CC like deal does not materialize. I also think the Sox believe that Vazquez is major league ready now.....yes he needs some work offensively but they proably feel defensively he is more than ready....he has some pop.....so if need me they could live with him

[/QUOTE]

At the very least this should finally put and end to that annoying (Salty should be benched) thread.  He was benched and in the WS no less which should put a rest to those who thought the few skills he did have would be enough to sign him long term.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Good short term signing.  Salty have probably asked for three years contract where the Red Sox do not want to go that far.   Now I am hearing a rumor that the Marlins and Salty may be in the work to make a deal.  IF they are, I cant imagine that the Marlins are willing to give him like 9 to 12 millions dollars a year for three years!!  Also the Twins wanted Salty.  So my guess that Salty is coming down with between two teams along with the Red Sox.   Not anymore!!

Well, Ben C. isnt going to waste a whole alot of time asking Salty if he is coming back or asking him how much he want.  AJ is a good experience catcher which he may be the one or two guys left on the market who can hit and play defense.  Ben made a good move right there.

Now it is down to CF and SS.  By signing AJ, Ben may be able to afford both Drew and Ellsbury. Think about that!!   1b may be via trade now cuz Lavarnway is likely to be traded. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good short term signing.  Salty have probably asked for three years contract where the Red Sox do not want to go that far.   Now I am hearing a rumor that the Marlins and Salty may be in the work to make a deal.  IF they are, I cant imagine that the Marlins are willing to give him like 9 to 12 millions dollars a year for three years!!  Also the Twins wanted Salty.  So my guess that Salty is coming down with between two teams along with the Red Sox.   Not anymore!!

Well, Ben C. isnt going to waste a whole alot of time asking Salty if he is coming back or asking him how much he want.  AJ is a good experience catcher which he may be the one or two guys left on the market who can hit and play defense.  Ben made a good move right there.

Now it is down to CF and SS.  By signing AJ, Ben may be able to afford both Drew and Ellsbury. Think about that!!   1b may be via trade now cuz Lavarnway is likely to be traded. 

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, Ben has made some very creative and positive moves.  He deserves a world of credit at this point after what Theo left him with.

Hope it continues I like his mindset!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Somewhere along the way, it seems that Salty fell out of favor. It began with Lester pitching only to Ross, then Salty being benched in the Series. I don't think it was any one thing, just a general dissatisfaction with his performance. As for Pierzynski , he is a decent enough journeyman catcher. He seems like an outgoing, flaky kind of guy who should fit in well with some of the other characters on the club. Obviously, Vasquez and/or Swihart represent our future behind the plate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Good signing that could lead to great things. David Ross did nothing but add value to the postion and the team last year. AJ will do the same thing for the next year. Don't give up on Lava yet, he's still developing and could be better than any of us think.....In the long run I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up at 1B.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Buster Olney       

A.J. Pierzynski's one-year deal with Boston is for $8.25 million, pending a physical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

8.25M pending a physical

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I'm OK with the deal.  8.25m for 1 year for a guy who likely will bat 270-300, with OBP of 300-330 and hit 15-20 HR is nothing to sneeze at.  He also does not strike out or walk alot.  Hitting in the bottom of the order that should be fine, and the $ savings are better used on OF or 1B.

Sections
Shortcuts