AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

In response to southpaw777's comment:

8.25M pending a physical

Way way way too much !!  Not really happy with this signing, especially for the money. Hopefully he leaves his bad attitude in Texas and becomes a pleasant surprise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

According to all reports it's a one year deal at 8.25, and Salty has noone to blame but himself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Good signing that could lead to great things. David Ross did nothing but add value to the postion and the team last year. AJ will do the same thing for the next year. Don't give up on Lava yet, he's still developing and could be better than any of us think.....In the long run I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up at 1B.

I think if we decide to put a 1B glove on Lav and he has a better ST than Middy you could be right, especially if we lose Nap.  I think Bogy's body will develop into a 3B (not SS) or even the OF at some point.  Middy and Bogy I feel will start the year at 3B with Drew returning and the Sox trying one last time to convert Bogy to a SS.  Lav could be traded or given a backup job at 1B/DH or catcher if someone gets injured to start the season.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

One year $8.25 million:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10072049/boston-red-sox-reach-terms-free-agent-catcher-aj-pierzynski

That leaves the Sox $24 million under the Luxury tax limit of $189 MM with Bailey's non-tender.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/08/how-much-can-red-sox-spend-winter-2014-payroll

With needs at 1B, CF and backup IF as well as 1-2 RPs, I highly doubt that the Sox are going to sign Ells or Drew and Salty has already been shown the door.  I think that they also might move on from Nap if he wants 3 years or $13+ MM per.

Still in the market for Corey Hart and Rajai Davis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to wintermeetings' comment:

Everything was right about doing this deal that I advocated, only on a one year cheap FA base cost basis (Appears that's the case and don't see how it wouldn't be)

Red Sox get the pick and part ways with hands of stone and a 30 to 40 million bill for a player who was little more than a backup catcher/1B/DH.

Salty was coming off a complete fluke season at the plate, a season that held little more than the rice paper "top ranked hitting catcher for 2013" gets from the casual baseball fan. 2 years was pushing it, but the draft pick and a likely 3 year contract market makes it a no brainer to sell high on Salty. One of the few good  moves from the BBC of value wrecks from Red Sox past. 

AJ as a "bad clubhouse" guy means as much as "good clubhouse guy". "Good clubhouse" media narrative comes after the fact. Injury results comes before "good clubhouse".

AJ is near the end, but he didn't play 2013 like he was a washed up veteran getting a fan popularity contract ceremonial goodbye tour for the 3rd or 4th time around. 

AJ slugged over .700 OPS against LP and/or RP, and passed the durability for 2013 which reflects his career. Swings the bat enough for a good BA and HR per PA for the catcher position, but isn't a good OBP guy (Salty isn't either, despite his 2013 career high OBP). Defensively, AJ is not good defensively, but he's better than Salty and he doesn't require a big long term contract.

Brian McCann and about 80 million guaranteed, as if he's that much better than for the next years to come than what the alternative will produce and cost. Nuts! 

AJ plus the draft pick, yep. Why on earth trade for Hanigan, when there was no way the Reds were going to pay Dempster or Peavy contract stand alone.

And why on earth do what another Board pet poster advocated, "just go ahead and sign Salty to a 4 year deal". 

Ross and AJ for one year will get the Red Sox to the farm catching talent pool, and it puts them in the same position of being able to, as needed, play the CBA the only way it can be played, and that's buying low on the FA old veteran has to actually prove themselves year to year market. 

NO pick.  Salty was not given a QO. 

I guess you could say that they SAVED losing a pick by not signing McCann.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

I'm OK with the deal.  8.25m for 1 year for a guy who likely will bat 270-300, with OBP of 300-330 and hit 15-20 HR is nothing to sneeze at.  He also does not strike out or walk alot.  Hitting in the bottom of the order that should be fine, and the $ savings are better used on OF or 1B.

I actually think it's a great move.  Other than Salty...what other option were there?  Also....look at the money coming off the books next year.  This is a weak FA class and AJ is a good short term answer until we hand the reigns over to one of the younger minor league players.  I fail to see how signing an experienced catcher who hits for pop and average at the bottom of the order and is a left handed hitter is a bad deal for 1 year.......  Btw.....he stays healthy which is HUGE.  Great deal as far as Im concerned.  I'd take a 1 year deal on AJ over any of the other catcher deals out there right now (other than Salty.....I was a HUGE fan of his and hate to see him go.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

According to all reports it's a one year deal at 8.25, and Salty has noone to blame but himself.

Hey Salty will get more money somewhere else and has every right too.  Can't say anything bad about Salty, he wasn't the best player on the team but he was a class act.  I wish him luck. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like it.....building a bridge to Swihart/Vasquez (although Swihart may need more than a year) 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

and just as I got used to spelling Saltalamacchia, now I have....Pierzynski?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They needed a LHB who handles pitchers well and though he's not an adept catcher he's more than servicable. Also his BA in Fenway of .322 doesn't hurt. We will see what else transpires between now and ST.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They needed a LHB who handles pitchers well and though he's not an adept catcher he's more than servicable. Also his BA in Fenway of .322 doesn't hurt. We will see what else transpires between now and ST.

I dont mind a 1yr deal.

Hes not going to throw out a ton of runners with a 25% cs career rate (not that thats a big deal for me)

Hes going to swing at a TON of pitches. Good and bad alike. Doesnt BB much, but doesnt K much either. Hopefully he has a better OBP than he did this past year, .297.

If this was a 2yr deal, Id be a little upset, but I fully understand the signing and wish AJ the best of luck in Boston.

This says a lot about how the organization feel about Vasquez. I really believe he will be here sometime in 2014. Hes a solid all around catcher. Wonder what to be of one Ryan Lavarnway? Hopefully a 1b mit is under his tree this Christmas. Id hate to lose that bat, but have no issue saying goodbye to his God awful defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

LOL

I hear you there! We had Iglesias last year now we learn how to spell Bogaerts. Pierzynski, Gronkowski, Gostkowski geez marie!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to proftom2's comment:

Good signing that could lead to great things. David Ross did nothing but add value to the postion and the team last year. AJ will do the same thing for the next year. Don't give up on Lava yet, he's still developing and could be better than any of us think.....In the long run I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up at 1B.

I think if we decide to put a 1B glove on Lav and he has a better ST than Middy you could be right, especially if we lose Nap.  I think Bogy's body will develop into a 3B (not SS) or even the OF at some point.  Middy and Bogy I feel will start the year at 3B with Drew returning and the Sox trying one last time to convert Bogy to a SS.  Lav could be traded or given a backup job at 1B/DH or catcher if someone gets injured to start the season.

Agreed, Boggy and Middy make for some interresting options 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He did nothing but improve every year with us. What "blame" are you talking about?

I'd rather have Salty at $27M/3 than AJ P at $8.25M/1.

We could have traded Salty once a kid proved himself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Do not understand the hate last year CS was 33% BA was 272 with OPS 722 his Career CS is 28% and 283/750 Age is 38 but if two years he and Ross are a good short term combo and great teachers for the young guys.

IMHO much of the hate comes from his personality which can be abrasive with other teams and the media.

He has too be a good clubhouse guy since we know how much that is valued in Boston now.

Much like all the hate spewed last year when guys were signed I will still say the same I said last year ------ The FO knows a lot more than us.

I love the signing. Last winter most Sox fans disagreed with Ben. What do they know. It resulted in the 3rd. WSC in 10 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

Over the last three years:

Player A: .279/.315./.444 Player B: .252/.329/.441   Player A is AJ.   Player B is Brian McCann.   Now, I know McCann is younger and is probably a safer bet to produce better numbers next year, but I am not sure the Yankees, at least from an offensive perspective, are going to have any big edge at the plate over Boston despite shelling out huge dollars for a big-name catcher. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

Player A: .279/.315./.444 Player B: .252/.329/.441   Player A is AJ.   Player B is Brian McCann.   Now, I know McCann is younger and is probably a safer bet to produce better numbers next year, but I am not sure the Yankees, at least from an offensive perspective, are going to have any big edge at the plate over Boston despite shelling out huge dollars for a big-name catcher. 

McCann was injured and in his prime.

AJ is getting older.

I'm glad we didn't get BM, but I think $8M+ was too much for AJ P.

Now, we have about $21M left over for 1B and CF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

One year $8.25 million:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10072049/boston-red-sox-reach-terms-free-agent-catcher-aj-pierzynski

That leaves the Sox $24 million under the Luxury tax limit of $189 MM with Bailey's non-tender.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/08/how-much-can-red-sox-spend-winter-2014-payroll

With needs at 1B, CF and backup IF as well as 1-2 RPs, I highly doubt that the Sox are going to sign Ells or Drew and Salty has already been shown the door.  I think that they also might move on from Nap if he wants 3 years or $13+ MM per.

Still in the market for Corey Hart and Rajai Davis.

Im with you on Rajai, will still say Napoli comes back and we sign Furcale for one year on the cheap.  Rajai will come in for around 4m.  I think all three of these guys cost us 22m total.  With a dempster trade we will be in good shape.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

McCann was injured and in his prime.

AJ is getting older.

I'm glad we didn't get BM, but I think $8M+ was too much for AJ P.

Now, we have about $21M left over for 1B and CF.

Rajai, Napoli and Furcal?   

Sections
Shortcuts