Re: AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Over the last three years:

Player A: .279/.315./.444 Player B: .252/.329/.441   Player A is AJ.   Player B is Brian McCann.   Now, I know McCann is younger and is probably a safer bet to produce better numbers next year, but I am not sure the Yankees, at least from an offensive perspective, are going to have any big edge at the plate over Boston despite shelling out huge dollars for a big-name catcher. [/QUOTE]

McCann was injured and in his prime.

AJ is getting older.

I'm glad we didn't get BM, but I think $8M+ was too much for AJ P.

Now, we have about $21M left over for 1B and CF.

[/QUOTE]

Rajai, Napoli and Furcal?   

[/QUOTE]

That's a good projection.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and just as I got used to spelling Saltalamacchia, now I have....Pierzynski?

[/QUOTE]

Post of DAY!!!!! hahahahaha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

AJ's last 2 years were not bad for a guy thats getting older.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I can not support this decision.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Tongue OutIn response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and just as I got used to spelling Saltalamacchia, now I have....Pierzynski?

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Not a huge aj fan but I hope he has a great season this year and the sox grab a draft pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not a huge aj fan but I hope he has a great season this year and the sox grab a draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

not sure they'd get a draft pick

AJ is getting up there in age

Where is he going to get a better deal than 14.5 mil?  esp when what team would give up a draft pick plus give more $ than that

For whatever reason, Ben didn't want Salty back....I wish I knew why......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 3h

Ron Washington loved Pierzynski's energy, and his effort to push teammates -- a trait at the core of the 2013 Red Sox.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 8m

FWIW: Two writers who covered Pierzynski sent messages attesting to his being a stand-up guy. Counts for a lot in Boston.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 2h

Hard to say in December whether Pierzynski works out. But with a one-year deal, #RedSox have flexibility if it doesn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not sure they'd get a draft pick

AJ is getting up there in age

Where is he going to get a better deal than 14.5 mil?  esp when what team would give up a draft pick plus give more $ than that

For whatever reason, Ben didn't want Salty back....I wish I knew why......

[/QUOTE]

Because salty should get at least 3-4 years from Minn or Miami. Sox believe in Vasquez and Swihart enough to not want to go past a 1-2yrs for a stop gap at catcher.

Salty revived his career here and should get himself s solid contract somehwere. The 2 teams just didnt match up in terms of years. Plus, I dont think salty was too happy about being benched.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

good luck Salty wherever you land.

welcome to the team AJ.  play your guts out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For whatever reason, Ben didn't want Salty back....I wish I knew why...

They played Ross when it counted.

Nuff said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

that still does not answer the question

my best guess is that they blamed him for the 2 losses in the WS but I'd like to hear it from Ben

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Sox winning a championship has given Ben a lot of respect and admiration. Deservedly so, I might add. However, let's no go overboard on his ability to acquire all the right pieces. Farrell did an outstanding job. Victorino was excellent. Koji was a life saver. Napoli was hot and cold. Otherwise, it was kind of mediocre. Peavy, Dempster, Drew, Ross  and Gomes were just marginally productive. Carp produced fairly well , but didn't get many chances. Bailey and Hanrahan were busts. In the end, much of the team's success can be attributed to the relative good health and productivity of the core players, Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Lackey and ( for a time ) Buchholz.  One should not expect to catch lightning in a bottle every year by signing a number of basically average guys. Ben should not get complacent and rest on his laurels. You still need high quality players to be competitive. Nothing against Pierzynski, but I would have to rate him as more " average " than " high quality ". And , 8 million is still a lot of pesos. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

my best guess is that they blamed him for the 2 losses in the WS but I'd like to hear it from Ben

[/QUOTE]

Salty's performance in the WS was weak but the main reason I think they cut him loose is he's a K machine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's not going to speak badly of Salty.

He might say something about length of contract and promising prospects.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty's performance in the WS was weak but the main reason I think they cut him loose is he's a K machine.

[/QUOTE]

but an .800 OPS has to be league-average......if they don't like K's then good-bye Naps, Drew, Middlebrooks and even Nava - I think those are the high K-out guys from last season.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I can not support this decision.

[/QUOTE]

How long to you come up with a cute nick name?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's not going to speak badly of Salty.

He might say something about length of contract and promising prospects.

[/QUOTE]

and that's my point, for once I'd like the truth.....and it can't be defense b/c AJ isn't that good w/ the glove.......and AJ's OPS had to be 100 pts lower.....it must be length of contract b/c he believes in prospects not named Ryan......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I also have a tough time supporting any grown man who still uses initials for his first name (JD, CC, etc).....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox winning a championship has given Ben a lot of respect and admiration. Deservedly so, I might add. However, let's no go overboard on his ability to acquire all the right pieces. Farrell did an outstanding job. Victorino was excellent. Koji was a life saver. Napoli was hot and cold. Otherwise, it was kind of mediocre. Peavy, Dempster, Drew, Ross  and Gomes were just marginally productive. Carp produced fairly well , but didn't get many chances. Bailey and Hanrahan were busts. In the end, much of the team's success can be attributed to the relative good health and productivity of the core players, Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Lackey and ( for a time ) Buchholz.  One should not expect to catch lightning in a bottle every year by signing a number of basically average guys. Ben should not get complacent and rest on his laurels. You still need high quality players to be competitive. Nothing against Pierzynski, but I would have to rate him as more " average " than " high quality ". And , 8 million is still a lot of pesos. 

[/QUOTE]

For what we gave up for Carp, he was a huge success.

To me, only Dempster did not earn his pay.

Ross was close, but his playoff performance erased the injury issue.

The Hanrahan deal was bad.

I am not counting the Bailey deal against Ben, since I do not think the team was truly under his control until the Dodger trade. Plus, Reddick is not doing all that great anymore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I also have a tough time supporting any grown man who still uses initials for his first name (JD, CC, etc).....

[/QUOTE]

Ok, A. M.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but an .800 OPS has to be league-average......if they don't like K's then good-bye Naps, Drew, Middlebrooks and even Nava - I think those are the high K-out guys from last season.....

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He still produced last year despite the K's.
    People quickly forget that Salty was a big piece of the puzzle during the season and stepped up and produced when Ross went down. He had a bad WS, but thats hardly any reason to hate on him. Hes NOT the reason the sox lost both games, thats just ridiculous. Salty improved every year since coming to Boston, and although hes not elite enough for some Sox fans, he was a good MLB catcher who worked hard, called a good game and the pitchers trusted him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He still produced last year despite the K's.
    People quickly forget that Salty was a big piece of the puzzle during the season and stepped up and produced when Ross went down. He had a bad WS, but thats hardly any reason to hate on him. Hes NOT the reason the sox lost both games, thats just ridiculous. Salty improved every year since coming to Boston, and although hes not elite enough for some Sox fans, he was a good MLB catcher who worked hard, called a good game and the pitchers trusted him.

[/QUOTE]

A lot of what you said has merit.

Salty calling a good game is one point I can't support.

Ross on the other hand does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are a bit of a bully and are the definition of cowardice so it is par for the course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In hindsight, I wish the Sox gave Salty a qualifying offer.  But all things considered this is more optimal than giving Salty a multi year deal.