AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re: AJ Pierzynski agreed to deal with the Red Sox

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Not a huge aj fan but I hope he has a great season this year and the sox grab a draft pick.

not sure they'd get a draft pick

AJ is getting up there in age

Where is he going to get a better deal than 14.5 mil?  esp when what team would give up a draft pick plus give more $ than that

For whatever reason, Ben didn't want Salty back....I wish I knew why......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

The manager didn't want Salty back as evidenced by the benching in the WS. The guy can't throw and he is NOT a clutch player as evidenced by the throwing gaffes in the WS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jader's comment:

The manager didn't want Salty back as evidenced by the benching in the WS. The guy can't throw and he is NOT a clutch player as evidenced by the throwing gaffes in the WS!

excellent point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli, Uehara, and Salty all used to play for the Rangers and won a ring with the Red Sox.  So I guess Pierzynski wants to join the party.   LOL

I am impressed that last names such as Mientkiewicz and Saltalamacchia were able to fit in the Red Sox jersey.  Pierzynski is an even more short and simple last name.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox613. Show sox613's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

This was my third LEAST favorite option:

1) LEAST  Signing Brian McCann to a 6 year, $100 MM deal that the Sox would regret after 2 years (THANK YOU YANKEES!)

2) Signing Salty to a 3 year, $30+ MM deal

3) Signing Pierzynski to ANY contract

I would rather the Sox signed Buck, who is much better defensively, but can't hit a lick.  I don't see how Lavarnway wouldn't have been a better one-year stop gap.

I would think that this is a one year deal and is probably for $7 MM plus.  Yikes.

This is a brilliant signing.  They want a one year bridge to the youth and he is perfect .  Salty wanted more then 2 years and struck out way to much hitting behind Napoli ( another high strikeout guy).  If our pitching wasn"t as stellar in the post season , along with 3 big hits, it would have been a totally different year. I am not saying the Sox were not the best team, but just think about how many things had to go perfect to win this year. I enjoyed Salty and think he fit in nicely with the Sox last year and added to the teams chemistry very very nicely, but at the same time the Sox with 2 good catching prospects ( both rated better defensively, with a good ceiling offensively) had to make this move.. AJ is a perfect one year bridge. I like this signning very much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Napoli, Uehara, and Salty all used to play for the Rangers and won a ring with the Red Sox.  So I guess Pierzynski wants to join the party.   LOL

I am impressed that last names such as Mientkiewicz and Saltalamacchia were able to fit in the Red Sox jersey.  Pierzynski is an even more short and simple last name.   LOL

Minky, Ortiz and AJ all played for the Twins and now AJ wants to join that party too :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

A.J. Pierzynski is a strong pickup on a one-year deal, but I'm somewhat surprised in light of luxury tax concerns that the Red Sox committed $8.25 million of the 2014 payroll at catcher when other holes remain.

They still have about 24 million left.  Like many people I think they will increase that by trading Dempster or Peavy.

Ben has got the numbers crunched, I'm pretty sure about that.

The entire rotation expcet Doubrant is tradeable

Peavy and Dempter - grossly overpaid

Buck - fragile and optimal time in his contract

Lackey - sell high and in 2015 he is most likely to complain about earning the league min

Lester - if he won't sign an extension you may have to deal him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One throw could have been caught.

Salty had some big hits at the end of 2013, including a walk-off hit in the ALCS.

He had one of the team's best OPS in Late & Close situations in 2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

One throw could have been caught.

Salty had some big hits at the end of 2013, including a walk-off hit in the ALCS.

He had one of the team's best OPS in Late & Close situations in 2012.

Moon... you are painting Salty to be clutch and the stats paint a very different picture.  They statistically show that he is a mistake ball hitter and gets taken advantage of by more advanced pitchers.  I will give both examples from this year as well as his career numbers.  I took these from my earlier post about an hour ago.

Salty @High leverage spots had a 637 OPS in his career (with a 8% BB rate, and 34% K rate).
    Salty @Medium leverage Spots is 753 OPS (8%, 27%),
    Salty @low lev at 770 OPS (9%, 29%).
    Salty vs. teams .500 or worse: 331/407/549/956
    Salty vs. teams .500 or better: 232/288/408/696
    Salty's contact rate is sub-70's.
    Salty's career K% is 29.4%
    Salty's BABIP was .373 in 2013. Despite that being a soft metric, that's not likely sustainable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

Would of been happier if the Sox asked Varitek to come of retirement than this...

i said the same thing when i saw this deal. No clue how AJP is defensively but i know he stinks at the plate and offers virtually nothing in terms of getting on base. V-tek can do that and still give you good defense and intangibles.

Better yet, they could have signed Salty for 3/21 like Miami just did. Shaking my head.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

Would of been happier if the Sox asked Varitek to come of retirement than this...

i said the same thing when i saw this deal. No clue how AJP is defensively but i know he stinks at the plate and offers virtually nothing in terms of getting on base. V-tek can do that and still give you good defense and intangibles.

Better yet, they could have signed Salty for 3/21 like Miami just did. Shaking my head.

After spending a bit of time comparing the two, AJP is Ross.  They both have almost identical CERA (catchers ERA) for their careers.  Both about a half point lower than Salty. 

Yes AJ doesn't walk much, but he also doesn't strike out much.  He struck out 14% of the time last year compared to 29% of salty.  He has been remarkably healthy through his career playing in at least 114 games every year since 2001.  That is the difference between him and Ross... he has shown the ability to stay healthy and bear the brunt of catching duties.

I will take two Ross type catchers on the team and so will Farrell as he showed his preference in the World Series.  Perfect bridge catcher for one year as they didn't see a future with Salty and saw the entire pitching staff improve drastically when Ross caught. 

Steamer projections for AJ P:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=746&position=C

113 games, 447 AB, 13.8%K rate, 4%BB rate, 265 Avg, 302 OBP, 411 Slg, 12 HR, 53 RBI

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Steamer also projects a 2014 WAR* of 2.1 in 113 games for A.J. Pierzynski, 2.9 in 146 games for Jarrod Saltalamacchia and 2.2 in 97 games for Ryan Hanigan.

I'm not sure Pierzynski was the first choice of the Red Sox at catcher.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJ on offense:

Out of 32 MLB catchers with 300+ PAs in 2014:

17th in OPS at .714

He struck out about half as much as Salty (14.4% to 29.6%)

He walked about 1/5th as much as Salty (2.1% to 9.1%)

2012-2013 (33 catchers with 500 PAs+)

OPS 11th at .773 (Salty was 10th at .774)

2011-2013:

OPS .759 was 18th out of 33 with 750+ PAs (Salty was 15th at .763)

The more I look at AJ, the more I am okay with the one year deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Steamer also projects a 2014 WAR* of 2.1 in 113 games for A.J. Pierzynski, 2.9 in 146 games for Jarrod Saltalamacchia and 2.2 in 97 games for Ryan Hanigan.

I'm not sure Pierzynski was the first choice of the Red Sox at catcher.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

I have addressed this before, but WAR is skewed because of projected innings played. 

Salty has exactly one season when he has played 470 innings and it was last year with the Red Sox.  The second most innings was two years ago on the Sox with 448 innings. 

AJ has not had a season where he has played less than 497 innings since 2002.   The most innings AJP has ever caught in a season was 570.

Steamer projects AJ to have 447 innings and Salty to have 599 innings next season.  Sooo steamer projects Salty to catch more innings than AJ has ever in a season next year... I don't think so.  If you skew back the numbers to be an even number of innings caught, the WAR is within .1 win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

AJ on offense:

Out of 32 MLB catchers with 300+ PAs in 2014:

17th in OPS at .714

He struck out about half as much as Salty (14.4% to 29.6%)

He walked about 1/5th as much as Salty (2.1% to 9.1%)

2012-2013 (33 catchers with 500 PAs+)

OPS 11th at .773 (Salty was 10th at .774)

2011-2013:

OPS .759 was 18th out of 33 with 750+ PAs (Salty was 15th at .763)

The more I look at AJ, the more I am okay with the one year deal.

Took me a bit of stat searching myself as well Moon to see that we got a similar offensive player, but a much stronger defensive player on a one year bridge deal.  They have four catchers on the 40 man roster as it stands, AJ P, Butler, Lava, Vasquez.  Out of the four, I think the tide is swaying towards Vasquez as the main man of the future right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Very telling stats from SOSH comparing AJ to Salty's hitting

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/80801-aj-pierzynski-signs-with-red-sox/page-2

Salty's contact rate is sub-70's. A.J's has always been mid-high 80's.

Salty's career K% is 29.4% versus A.J.'s 11.5%. 

Salty's BABIP was .373 in 2013. Despite that being a soft metric, that's not likely sustainable. A.J's was closer to his career numbers which may indicate his performance is.

Salty's closer to J.P. Arencibia than Pierzynski as a hitter. Raw-boned power with lots of flailing at the plate. I'm not disagreeing, but am saying that AJ isn't a Salty clone at all.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/80801-aj-pierzynski-signs-with-red-sox/page-3

I don't know if Salty only hits lousy pitching, but he does seem like a guy who is relatively easy to pitch to in big spots- and the starts sort of bear that out. 

In high leverage spots, he's had a 637 OPS in his career (with a 8% BB rate, and 34% K rate). Medium lev is 753 (8%, 27%), low lev at 770 (9%, 29%).

Conversely, AJP has a 799 OPS In high lev situations (6% BB, 12% K), 742 in medium lev (2%, 10%), and 733 in low lev (4%, 12%).

I'll go one step further. In 2013:

Salty

vs. teams .500 or worse: 331/407/549/956

vs. teams .500 or better: 232/288/408/696

Salty's numbers greatly improved in almost every area of his game, except throwing.

One big improvement from 2012 to 2013 was his OBP.

His LD% also improved from 22.8% to 28.6%.

Late and ClosePAs in the 7th or later with the team tied, ahead by 1 or the tying run on deck... a much better "clutch" stat than high leverage.

Salty

2012: .725 was 3rd on the Sox and 10 RBI was 3rd (78 PA was 5th)

2013: .683 but 3rd in RBI while 8th in PAs (12 in 77)

That's 22 RBI in 155 PAs Late & Close

AJ P

2012: .654 OPS with 7 RBI in 93 PAs

2013: .584 OPS with 9 RBI in 92 PAs

That's 16 RBIs in 185 PAs Late & Close

How soon many of us forget his walk off hit in the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2013     Salty    AJ P     2012  Salty   AJ P

v NYY    .727    .640               .779    .987

v TBR    .746     .423               .617    .304

v TOR    .814      .628              .527   .836

v BAL    .719      .645              .794   1.058

@Fen    .836    1.083              .761     .462

Career at Fenway:

Salty  .777

AJ P    .751

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Haven't read all 7 pages but the most important facts about this deal to me are that it is a one year deal and AJ has a history with Nieves who obviously lobbied for him over Salty. Since Salty has apparently signed a very reasonable $21/3 deal he obviously was not trying to break the Sox' bank. The Sox simply didn't want him back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Haven't read all 7 pages but the most important facts about this deal to me are that it is a one year deal and AJ has a history with Nieves who obviously lobbied for him over Salty. Since Salty has apparently signed a very reasonable $21/3 deal he obviously was not trying to break the Sox' bank. The Sox simply didn't want him back.

That's how I see it, and I thought it became quite apparent when Salty was benched the last 3 games of the WS.

They valued Ross more when it counted, so the writing was on the wall.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Good call by Sox on Salty, enough of him already.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty would have cost about $13M more for the added 2 years.

That could have easily been traded away, if a kid proved he was ready.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The clown advocated offering bigger money for a guy that could be obtained for cash and a PTBNL.

The silliness returns.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Welcome, AJ! I like the idea of having experience behind the plate. I think it's possible Ross will get more time as well this season. That sounds good to me.

Sections
Shortcuts