AJP DFA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

AJP DFA

Rosenthal is reporting the Sox are designating AJ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: AJP DFA

MLBTR..

Red Sox To Designate A.J. Pierzynski For Assignment
    By Jeff Todd [July 9, 2014 at 1:36pm CDT]
    The Red Sox are set to designate catcher A.J. Pierzynski for assignment, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The 37-year-old veteran signed a one-year, $8.25MM deal to join Boston over the past offseason. Unless the club can find a taker for some of his remaining salary, it will eat the $3.6MM left on that contract.

Needless to say, things did not work out as hoped for the club or the player. Pierzynski owns a .254/.286/.348 line through 274 plate appearances with just four home runs. He had produced at a .275/.311/.462 clip with 44 total long balls over the 2012-13 campaigns.

Parting with Pierzynski could well be the first step towards at least a partial break-up of a Red Sox team that has fallen well off its World Series from of a year ago. Sitting 10 and a half games out of the division lead, the Red Sox will give a chance to youngster Christian Vazquez, who will learn on the job with help from veteran backup David Ross.

In an appearance on WEEI radio (Twitter links via WEEI.com’s Alex Speier), manager John Farrell confirmed that the club is aiming for something of a youth movement. “We’re turning the page in terms of investing in young players,” he said. Indeed, Vazquez will be one of five rookies in the lineup card for the club tonight, as Tim Britton of the Providence Journal

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

bye bye AJ....helllllo Vasquez. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Ross starts tonight though.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  14s
    Mentioned earlier today the Red Sox were considering a catching change. Farrell just confirmed on radio that Pierzynski was DFA'd

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  46s
    Vazquez will be in the lineup tonight for #RedSox, as will Bradley, Betts and Bogaerts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  28s
    Pierzynski had not homered in 123 ABs going back to May 24. One RBI in his last 15 games and 53 ABs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  46s
    Vazquez will be in the lineup tonight for #RedSox, as will Bradley, Betts and Bogaerts.

[/QUOTE]

Good.  We now probably have the youngest lineup in the league.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I almost never take a dislike to RS players, but AJP was the rare exception.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  60s Believe initial report on Pierzynski being DFA’d was from @Ken_Rosenthal. … A Vazquez/Ross duo will be fun to watch defensively.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Thank you for your efforts AJ.  But, this makes me happy.  Forward!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Losing Salty and replacing him with A.J. was part of the off season failure. A.J. did not provide the offense that Salty did. He was not good behind the plate. And, although I have no inside information, I got the sense that he was not a good fit in the clubhouse. 8 mil. down the drain. Time for Ben to admit his mistakes, correct them and move on. This is a start. Vasquez may not quite be ready for prime time , but it will be interesting to see him get his shot. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We may see Butler at some point as well, especially come September.

Sox4ever

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Mujica next?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  33s
    From spring training: How Christian Vazquez has learned from the Molina brothers

Red Sox’ Christian Vazquez getting help from Molinas

By Peter Abraham

Red Sox prospect Christian Vazquez is a Molina family fan.
    FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox catching prospect Christian Vazquez was relaxing in the clubhouse before Tuesday’s game against Rays when he heard Jose Molina was in the Tampa Bay lineup.

Vazquez immediately popped out of his chair, almost as if he were getting ready to throw to second base

“Jose is here? I have to go see him,” he said.

For the 23-year-old Vazquez, the Molina brothers are his baseball role models. Vazquez grew up in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, about 20 minutes away from Bengie, Jose, and Yadier.

He has worked out with the Molinas during the offseason, with Jose in particular becoming one of his mentors.

“There is lot to learn from them if you’re a catcher,” Vazquez said. “I listen to everything they say.”

Molina is proud to pass on the baseball lessons he first learned from his late father, Benjamin.

“It takes a little bit of trust,” he said. “It take a little bit of belief on both sides. The only way to do that is to be 100 percent positive.

“It’s awesome to see those guys you work out with making strides and getting better each year.

“Some day you’re going to see [Vazquez] here. That’s the most important thing.”

Puerto Rico has a proud legacy of catchers. Along with the Molinas, Sandy Alomar Jr., Javy Lopez, Jorge Posada, Pudge Rodriguez, and Benito Santiago hail from the island.

Add it up and they have 38 All-Star Game appearances, 25 Gold Gloves, and 12 World Series rings.

“I don’t know why that is,” said Molina, who was 2 for 2 with a double in an 8-0 victory against the Red Sox. “For me, it was easy because I saw guys like Benito and Sandy when I was coming up and they were in their prime.

“It was easy for me to choose what position I liked. I didn’t run fast, like I still don’t, so to play shortstop or third base, it was kind of tough.

“Those were the guys I wanted to be like. You start working when you’re young.”

The same was true for Vazquez, who as a child watched an instructional video made by Rodriguez and was inspired to catch.

“I look up to those guys, all of them,” he said. “A lot of things I try to do, it’s from watching them. The more I can talk to somebody like Jose, the more I can learn. You watch him catch and he does everything the right way.”

Vazquez treasures his relationship with Jose Molina but has patterned his style more after Yadier Molina. Like the St. Louis All-Star, Vazquez has a strong arm and a quick release.

“Tell me about it. He’s something special,” Jose Molina said. “He has the technique, he has worked hard on it. But he also has a gift. He has a great arm.

“I used to have an arm like that but I’m older now. Christian, he has the kind of arm that can change a game.”

Vazquez took a major step in his career last season when he hit .289 with with a .376 on-base percentage for Double A Portland. That earned Vazquez a late-season promotion to Triple A Pawtucket and he is expected to start this season there.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Vazquez is advanced enough defensively to play in the majors now. The Sox want to see continued development offensively. But his defense is such that league-average offense would suffice.

Vazquez could get his chance this season. Starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski is 37 and backup David Ross will turn 37 this month.

Jose Molina may play for the Rays, a division rival, but he’s rooting for Vazquez.

“I like helping out a kid like that,” said Molina. “He’s from the island and he wants to learn.

“I don’t care which team he plays for or which team I play for. I don’t see it that way.

“I see the progress he can make as a catcher and play in the big leagues. That would make me proud, just to help him a little bit.”

Vazquez hopes to say hello to Yadier Molina Wednesday when the Red Sox play the Cardinals in Jupiter.

“There are so many great catchers from Puerto Rico and I’m glad I know a few of them,” Vazquez said. “Hopefully I’ll get my chance. I feel like I’m getting closer.”

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  now Vazquez has been a fun player to watch the last few seasons. His arm is something special. Note the team’s ERA today. It’s going to fall.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to VoiceofReason2014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good Vasquez this year and Swihart next year.

[/QUOTE]

I think we see him next year too, but towards the end.  I think Ross gets resigned and we see a Ross/Vasquez tandem.  After a year under Ross wings the sox might be more comfortable with two young catchers.  But I do think he gets a call up for injury and when the rosters expand. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mujica next?

[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, unless he's a throw in to a deal.  Peavy, Doubront and/or Lackey are all viable trade candidates.  Assuming 2 of them go, that means 2 kids from Pawtucket come up.  Letting Mujica go now means bringing up some other youngster kid just to wait around and pitch the end of blowout games.  Mujica and Breslow can stay and do that; let the rest of the kids pitch regularly in AAA. Mujica will be let go after the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Agre, this could become a fun ride with these young guys

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We may see Butler at some point as well, especially come September.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

It is interesting that Lava is not getting any action this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Holt , Bradley, Bogaerts and Vazquez

Our core four 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Holt , Bradley, Bogaerts and Vazquez

Our core four 

[/QUOTE]

and Betts makes 5.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  38s Lots of people ripping Sox for signing Pierzynski. But the number of FA catchers from last winter who have worked out well is awfully short

Sections
Shortcuts