AJP DFA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: AJP DFA

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  6m
    Pierzynski hit .254/.286/.348 and was DFA’d. McCann hitting .231/.288/.378 for NYY. Good luck finding catching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

It's time for a dynasty

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agre, this could become a fun ride with these young guys

[/QUOTE]

Holt , Bradley, Bogaerts and Vazquez

Our core four 

[/QUOTE]

and Betts makes 5.

[/QUOTE] and RDLR make it 6 rookies in tonight's lineup!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

What we have been looking forward  to.  Call it hope

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I almost never take a dislike to RS players, but AJP was the rare exception.

[/QUOTE]

I certainly won't lose any sleep over this. 

His approach at the plate was so annoying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

Can the Sox also DFA Stephen Drew?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to DarkFenX89's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why DFA him??? the Sox probably DFA AJP because he had little to no trade value, Drew has more value than AJP. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There was a rumor the Pirates were interested in AJ, and the Brewers and Tigers have interest in Drew.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why DFA him??? the Sox probably DFA AJP because he had little to no trade value, Drew has more value than AJP. 

[/QUOTE]

What trade value does Stephen Drew possibly have? He is just taking up space at SS and screwing up Bogaerts growth. It's no surprise that Xander's productivity dropped as soon as Drew was signed. Way to kill his confident by saying, "Hey you're hitting .300+ but we're going to move you to third because we think a guy with a .100 ba and a barely above average defense in SS is better than you."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What trade value does Stephen Drew possibly have? He is just taking up space at SS and screwing up Bogaerts growth. It's no surprise that Xander's productivity dropped as soon as Drew was signed. Way to kill his confident by saying, "Hey you're hitting .300+ but we're going to move you to third because we think a guy with a .100 ba and a barely above average defense in SS is better than you."

[/QUOTE]

Ok, YOU are not a G.M.  G.M's think much much much bigger than you.  They aren't going to look at what he's done the last month and think that is solely what they are getting...they will look at his overall track record.

Short stops are usually highly coveted even average to fringey ones.  Teams with no better option would be more than willing to take Drew for the right price.

Just because you personally dislike Drew doesn't mean the Sox can't trade him. 

P.S.  so what about Bogaerts???? Boagerts has zero influence on Drews trade value.

You should rejoice at the ideal of trading him because that could allow Boston to move Bogaerts back to SS. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, YOU are not a G.M.  G.M's think much much much bigger than you.  They aren't going to look at what he's done the last month and think that is solely what they are getting...they will look at his overall track record.

Short stops are usually highly coveted even average to fringey ones.  Teams with no better option would be more than willing to take Drew for the right price.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a GM, that's correct. But guess what? The GM doesn't always make the right choice (like AJP) and this one looks more and more like a terrible decision. The GM can trade Drew or DFA, whatever just get rid of him because he hasn't help one bit and we overpaid him for his lack of productivity. A bag of balls would be worth Drew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a GM, that's correct. But guess what? The GM doesn't always make the right choice (like AJP) and this one looks more and more like a terrible decision. The GM can trade Drew or DFA, whatever just get rid of him because he hasn't help one bit and we overpaid him for his lack of productivity. A bag of balls would be worth Drew.

[/QUOTE]

You don't trade a guy who has value.  A team would love to take Drew and hope for a stronger second half if we ate some or most of his salary.  a lifetime .260 hitter isn't going to hit half that the whole year.  He missed the first two months of the season and is a slow starter.  He isn't helping his value now....but no team is going to throw all the weight behind his recent slow start and discount his career....fans with short memories do that...NOT good GM's.

And please explain to me how this team is worse without AJP????

He's been not great this year, and he's been almost as bad as Drew lately, and as a beat up catcher in his late 30's he's a much stronger candidate for not picking it up.  At least Drew contributes on defense, AJP is not a good defensive catcher while Vasquez is a GG caliber defender, if he can hit anything close to what AJP has been lately he will be a nice upgrade.

Prove me wrong...specifically how is Vasquez over AJP going to make this team worse????

Here's the thing, regardless of what you or I believe all it takes is one GM to like Drew....I'm pretty sure a team looking for an infielder at the deadline will be interested.  It's not like cutting Drew right now is going to be the difference between making the playoffs or not....we got to the WS with him last year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

AJP has walked 9 times this year and has a sub .300 OBP.

Vasquez will probably DOUBLE AJP CS% and he picks guys off of first, he handles pitchers well, he controls the running game, he makes guys (good runners) take shorter leads off of first base because he will throw over to 1st 10 times a game and induces more double plays.

The Sox are going to end up turning a LOT more double plays with Vasquez behind the plate, I guarantee that.  And a lot of these new young pitchers coming up he knows well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rosenthal is reporting the Sox are designating AJ.

[/QUOTE]

I think its sad Ross gets a free pass for now just because we need to keep a vet who knows the staff.  The guy has been pretty much useless all season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think its sad Ross gets a free pass for now just because we need to keep a vet who knows the staff.  The guy has been pretty much useless all season.

[/QUOTE]

You have no catchers for next year and two rookies waiting in the wings.  It's looking like they are going to give Vasquez a shot.  THey are going to want to balance Vasquez with a veteran catcher to help him.  Perhaps it's not Ross next year but would rather have a guy really good on defense mentor Vasquez or a head case who is known for his bat and can't hit a lick right now taking him under his wings.

I'd choose Ross to mentor Vasquez all day.  At the end of the day how many more games do you think AJP would win over Ross for us for the rest of the year???? I'd say give or take a few....around zero. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have no catchers for next year and two rookies waiting in the wings.  It's looking like they are going to give Vasquez a shot.  THey are going to want to balance Vasquez with a veteran catcher to help him.  Perhaps it's not Ross next year but would rather have a guy really good on defense mentor Vasquez or a head case who is known for his bat and can't hit a lick right now taking him under his wings.

I'd choose Ross to mentor Vasquez all day.  At the end of the day how many more games do you think AJP would win over Ross for us for the rest of the year???? I'd say give or take a few....around zero. 

[/QUOTE]

We need some offense in the lineup and it will probably be like watching Tek mentor Salty but with a better arm and defense from Vasquez.  Not sure Ross is the right fit unless we can really upgrade the lineup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You don't trade a guy who has value.  A team would love to take Drew and hope for a stronger second half if we ate some or most of his salary.  a lifetime .260 hitter isn't going to hit half that the whole year.  He missed the first two months of the season and is a slow starter.  He isn't helping his value now....but no team is going to throw all the weight behind his recent slow start and discount his career....fans with short memories do that...NOT good GM's.

He's been not great this year, and he's been almost as bad as Drew lately, and as a beat up catcher in his late 30's he's a much stronger candidate for not picking it up.  At least Drew contributes on defense, AJP is not a good defensive catcher while Vasquez is a GG caliber defender, if he can hit anything close to what AJP has been lately he will be a nice upgrade.

Prove me wrong...specifically how is Vasquez over AJP going to make this team worse????

Here's the thing, regardless of what you or I believe all it takes is one GM to like Drew....I'm pretty sure a team looking for an infielder at the deadline will be interested.  It's not like cutting Drew right now is going to be the difference between making the playoffs or not....we got to the WS with him last year. 

[/QUOTE]

I meant signing AJP is a mistake not DFA but I guess that went way over your head. It's pitiful that you're talking about .260 hitter as though if he hits .260 for the rest of the second half, he is worth the 10 million we gave him for the year. Jason Varitek hit better than what Drew is doing now in his last two year and received less. Yeah, Varitek, a career .256 hitter, yeah he definitely turned it around during 2nd half of those last two seasons. What I find even more laughable is you arguing that only bad GMs have short memories. Through your logic, you must have disagreed with the Sox when they sent away Carl Crawford, Julio Lugo, and Edgar Renteria. I mean after all they did play a large part of their respective team's success at one point and yet all of them were gone after 2 or so years. And these guys batted respectfully during their last seasons. Drew is batting below .150 and strikes out in nearly 1 in 3 tries. Give me a break....the whole team ran Keith Foulke out of town after he stopped producing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Omg I am so excited

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We may see Butler at some point as well, especially come September.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

It is interesting that Lava is not getting any action this year.

[/QUOTE]

Injured

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Gamethread Tueaday White Sox @ Bostonposted at 7/8/2014 8:48 PM EDT

ampoule
    First: 7/28/2005
    Last: 7/9/2014
    I'll say it again.  Dump DP Pierzynski, bring up Vasquez and let Ross mentor him the rest of the season

I wrote this yesterday prior to today's big news.  Does this mean now that I'm an 'expert'?   LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[/QUOTE]

I meant signing AJP is a mistake not DFA but I guess that went way over your head. It's pitiful that you're talking about .260 hitter as though if he hits .260 for the rest of the second half, he is worth the 10 million we gave him for the year. Jason Varitek hit better than what Drew is doing now in his last two year and received less. Yeah, Varitek, a career .256 hitter, yeah he definitely turned it around during 2nd half of those last two seasons. What I find even more laughable is you arguing that only bad GMs have short memories. Through your logic, you must have disagreed with the Sox when they sent away Carl Crawford, Julio Lugo, and Edgar Renteria. I mean after all they did play a large part of their respective team's success at one point and yet all of them were gone after 2 or so years. And these guys batted respectfully during their last seasons. Drew is batting below .150 and strikes out in nearly 1 in 3 tries. Give me a break....the whole team ran Keith Foulke out of town after he stopped producing.

[/QUOTE]

why over my head huh? lol well I apologize if I missed that point.  I could agree with that statement, although in hindsight who was a better signing than AJP???? I wanted McCann, but looking at it now I'm really happy we didn't sign him.  Perhaps we could have made a stronger run at Salty.

I don't know where you are getting this I most of disagreed when we sent away Crawford, I would think my logic would suggest the opposite, I'm hoping and looking forward to getting rid of Drew.  I want to see Holt/Bogaerts on the left side of the infield perhaps WMB if he gets hot and someone goes down.  NOT Drew, just think that if there is a G.M. out there willing to give something up for him you should get something.  Even if it isn't that valuable you should do it.  I think he would retain some kind of value to a G.M. and while he hasn't gotten off to a hot start a team isn't going to discount his career norms, his defense, and the fact that he looks healthy.  

You don't just DFA guys left and right because you can....thats like buying a $3,000,000. for $10,000,000 million dollar house then winning the lottery then giving it away because you can. Why not get something for it???? if you won the lottery tomorrow would you wipe your a@@ with $100 bills just because you could???

If there is a team who is looking for SS help, and would give us either some salary relief, or a lottery pick prospect then I say go for it. The Sox have effectively zero chance of making the playoffs, not zero chance, but effectively zero....is there really any harm in giving the guy 2 weeks to see if he can start to hit and get us some value????  Worse case scenario we lose 1 extra game and maybe get a better draft pick. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   I'm pretty sure we can find a trading partner for Drew. Also pretty sure that we will have to eat some of the money he is owed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   I'm pretty sure we can find a trading partner for Drew. Also pretty sure that we will have to eat some of the money he is owed.

[/QUOTE]

Exaclty!!!! Even if we had to eat 90% of his salary, but maybe get a decent prospect who is young and far away.  We should make that trade.  Sox throw guys like that into trades all the time, no name low level prospects who might have one thing going for them and if they put something together they might be a guy.  Not a top 100 prospect but someone with some tools.  You still need to field minor league teams, and sometimes you even get a MLB player out of the deal. 

Sometimes you get these guys in a trade, sometimes they are throw ins in larger trades as well, we can still get that throw in guy who may not be anything but one day could be.

THINK Roman Mendez, 19 year old who threw 99 MPH but had very little else going for him (velocity means nothing if thats all you have...think Daniel Bard after he lost it).  He was a low level, small piece prospect who went to Texas back in 2010 for Salty....well last night he made his MLB debut for Texas pitching 2 shut out innings.

All I'm saying is, if you can get something....GET SOMETHING for these guys!!!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Losing Salty and replacing him with A.J. was part of the off season failure. A.J. did not provide the offense that Salty did. He was not good behind the plate. And, although I have no inside information, I got the sense that he was not a good fit in the clubhouse. 8 mil. down the drain. Time for Ben to admit his mistakes, correct them and move on. This is a start. Vasquez may not quite be ready for prime time , but it will be interesting to see him get his shot. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

+1 I agree with this entirely. Hindsight is definitely better, but losing Salty was bad for the clubhouse. Agreed that it was a bad move by the Sox to get AJP and not Salty. From 2012-2014, we have seen that the Sox are really affected by clubhouse chemistry, more so than the Dodgers, for example, who have enough talent to win despite problems in the clubhouse. I think that Salty and Gomes provided a lot of heart last year. Absent this year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Next step: Drew.

Oh wait, Scott Boras on line two. He says he's still got those pictures and he'd like it very much if Drew continues at short.

Sections
Shortcuts