Al Davis vs John Henry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Al Davis vs John Henry

Davis remembered as a visionary and EEO CEO. Will John Henry hire a person of color to take over the reigns? MLB currently has an over representation of white managers, by any measuring stick, they are doing an awful job of providing opportunity to qualified applicants...the NFL is better, numerically, though not as a player/coach percentage.  In the MLB even Hispanics don't get the jobs, even though they are widely represented in the player ranks. Apparrently the Fen-way is the white-way.
     BTW, I havent seen one member of the KOTK, bring up this point, and yet they call themselves journalists.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Al Davis vs John Henry

The difference is like day and night.    Davis was a maverick owner not afraid of making waves.
    Henry is a stats conscious businessman not interested with interaction with players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I'm new here. Are most threads and their opening posts lame attempts at starting controversy like this one is? How about some genuine baseball talk instead of nonsense like this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry:
    [QUOTE]I'm new here. Are most threads and their opening posts lame attempts at starting controversy like this one is? How about some genuine baseball talk instead of nonsense like this?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Why is equality controversial? The NFL has the Rooney rule...the Red Sox have an opening. Seems like it make a good discussion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The difference is like day and night.    Davis was a maverick owner not afraid of making waves. Henry is a stats conscious businessman not interested with interaction with players.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

And Davis was a slimeball who used underhanded tactics to take control of the Raiders back in the 1960s, double-crossing a partner who had been his biggest supporter and brought him into the organization. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry :  Why is equality controversial? The NFL has the Rooney rule...the Red Sox have an opening. Seems like it make a good discussion.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

It might be a good discussion, but can we at least wait until we see who the candidates are before leveling racist charges at the Sox like you seemed to do in the OP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry : It might be a good discussion, but can we at least wait until we see who the candidates are before leveling racist charges at the Sox like you seemed to do in the OP.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

If they never have hired a black manager, they might be a r_ _ _ st.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry :  If they never have hired a black manager, they might be a r_ _ _ st.
    You would think that you liberals would have learned from the last election, it's about competence not color.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry : It might be a good discussion, but can we at least wait until we see who the candidates are before leveling racist charges at the Sox like you seemed to do in the OP.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy, MLB and the NFL have terrible records in this matter. Plus they control the outcome, it's not just the Red Sox, why are there so few head coaches/managers of color? There are plenty of former players who know the game and have inherent leadership skills, where's the beef?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry : You would think that you liberals would have learned from the last election, it's about competence not color.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

My record here as aconservative is well known, it's not just about competence...bc there are plenty of competent ex players, assistant coaches, there something else going on here, unlike the elevation of a Jr. Senator with no legislative accomplishments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Since blacks constitute nine percent of MLB players it is reasonable to expect that nine percent of managers, coaches, and GMs should be black. Likewise thirty percent of those positions should be Hispanic. Can you provide me your link / source that states that such levels have not been met? Let's use facts here that are supported with sources instead of opinions.A study was done a few years back but the rosters keep changing. I will look forward to the more recent study that you are basing your opinion on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's some stats for you:

http://tidesport.org/RGRC/2011/2011_MLB_RGRC_FINAL.pdf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE] Here's some stats for you: http://tidesport.org/RGRC/2011/2011_MLB_RGRC_FINAL.pdf
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
     Great link Mrmojo. Point proven, 38% of players are people of color, 20% of managers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE] Here's some stats for you: http://tidesport.org/RGRC/2011/2011_MLB_RGRC_FINAL.pdf
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Page 24 of the report...27 managers in MLB history! Thats shameful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry :  If they never have hired a black manager, they might be a r_ _ _ st.

Again, let's see who applies first before we start throwing around accusations. This regime has only been around 10 years and by all accounts have had a good record on race issues. It unfair to compare the Henry regime with the Yawkey regime.

Too many people are too cavalier with that term.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

Your kidding me, right?

For those of you who know me, I'm the odd ball here because I am a Die hard Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and RAIDERS fan! -- in CA.

This is not even close, love him or hate, and most of us in Raiders Nation came to hate his moves, but we always respected the man, Al Davis was the Raiders, the Silver & Black, the Autum Wind, all the wonderful history I so fondly remember from the early 70's when my Mother & Father who are from Mass. changed their alliance to the Raiders from the Pats.

To mention John Henry in the same sentence as Al Davis is not even close, Al Davis has had a huge impact on the league, not just the Raiders, the League, John Henry is not even close on this one but I give Mr. Henry allot of credit for turning the Red Sox around, after all, aren't we at least happy the McCourts did not end up with the Red Sox?

RIP Mr. Davis and thank you for the winning years, it was a wild ride in Raiders Nation, still is...

Out GM#21...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why dwell on history? We all know that blacks had to sit at the back of the bus before 1960. We all know that Tom Yawkey was an obvious racist.  Please try to have your hypothesis / argument refined to current day. Otherwise it is all bull-sh-it. Before Jackie Robinson, wasn't every team racist? Try to define your parameters and then go from there. For example, in the last five years tell me what the quotas are and then tell me which teams have achieved it and by how much. Don't forget the quota for Canadians.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Why dwell on history? We all know that blacks had to sit at the back of the bus before 1960. We all know that Tom Yawkey was an obvious racist.  Please try to have your hypothesis / argument refined to current day. Otherwise it is all bull-sh-it. Before Jackie Robinson, wasn't every team racist? Try to define your parameters and then go from there. For example, in the last five years tell me what the quotas are and then tell me which teams have achieved it and by how much. Don't forget the quota for Canadians.
     No. This is nonsense, I am not a social researcher. The fact of the matter is that if you are a minority former player, you will not have the same opportunity as white former players. The league is concerned about diversity, in fact they measure it. Twenty seven historical mionority managers is not a good record, even if you start from a more progressive era, say 1980, FOUR years AFTER the death of Tom Yawkey, thats 32 years X 30 odd teams...you do the math. The conclusion is obvious. Your modern day qualifier is not defined. Do you mean 1980, 1990, 2000? First you asked for data, and it was provided, then you cite the world of MLB pre 1947, are you kidding me?? Your rebuttals are weak. Your demands are foolish. Please come up with a serious, thoughtful reponse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You brought up the race card argument. You define the parameters, era, and reasonable quotas. Make it recent. You started the thread in order to be controversial and bring attention to yourself. Back it up with facts. The burden is on you and not me. We all know about the racist history of the Red Sox and major league baseball. That is a given. Tell us something that we don't know. Tell us why blacks don't want to play baseball in the inner cities but opt instead for basketball. Tell us why Joe Morgan is aware of the problem and doesn't pull out the race card. You on the other hand have the race card in your front pocket.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]You brought up the race card argument. You define the parameters, era, and reasonable quotas. Make it recent. You started the thread in order to be controversial and bring attention to yourself. Back it up with facts. The burden is on you and not me. We all know about the racist history of the Red Sox and major league baseball. That is a given. Tell us something that we don't know. Tell us why blacks don't want to play baseball in the inner cities but opt instead for basketball. Tell us why Joe Morgan is aware of the problem and doesn't pull out the race card. You on the other hand have the race card in your front pocket.

Why don't you tell us why MLB doesn't hire many minorities to be managers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]I'm new here. Are most threads and their opening posts lame attempts at starting controversy like this one is? How about some genuine baseball talk instead of nonsense like this?

Why, you no like Affirmative Action?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Here we go again assuming the RS will be racist in their hiring of a manager.

Based upon some of the comments and "facts" here there should be NO women in the FO or any where in MLB because there are no women players??????Or that depending on the amount of specific the race of the players that there should be an equal % of management. Which means MLB could actually fire people when the numbers don't equal each other.
    Based upon the data the gender area is the worst.
    So should the RS hire a woman manager?

As stated by another a thread that condems the RS before they have done anything.

BTW the comment Page 24 of the report...27 managers in MLB history! Thats shameful. does not support your OP. It would if you were writting about MLB as a whole not just the RS.                     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Here we go again assuming the RS will be racist in their hiring of a manager. Based upon some of the comments and "facts" here there should be NO women in the FO or any where in MLB because there are no women players??????Or that depending on the amount of specific the race of the players that there should be an equal % of management. Which means MLB could actually fire people when the numbers don't equal each other. Based upon the data the gender area is the worst. So should the RS hire a woman manager? As stated by another a thread that condems the RS before they have done anything. BTW the comment Page 24 of the report...27 managers in MLB history! Thats shameful. does not support your OP. It would if you were writting about MLB as a whole not just the RS.                     
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim, in the third sentence of the OP, I mentioned MLB, so your conclusion doesn't match the facts. Furthermore, we will never see this issue equally if you can't see the practice as it is. The second sentence, simply asks a question, what will the Red Sox do? There is no accusation. I have a problem with your comprehension. Does anyone think that 27 minority managers in the entire history of the league is in anyyway balanced? In reality, a woman could be a manager, there is nothing in their DNA that precludes it. That's a fact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Who cares? Personally I do not. Just win Baby.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sadly, some of out most talented athletes, african-americans, seem to be opting out of baseball....only 8% when they are overrepresented in huge numbers in football and baseball (and even soccer has many great black players)...

you cant expect that not to reflect on coaching numbers but Ron Washington is there still and that is cool to see....Im not so worried about managers a i am players...it would be a shame if the next willie mays decided to play 4 years of pro football rather than 20 years of amazing mlb - i think that is what's happening..

why???? it has been said before...most minorities live in large cities - few green areas - but that doesnt seem to prevent football players from being produced in the inner city....