Al Davis vs John Henry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Al Davis vs John Henry

In Response to Al Davis vs John Henry:
    [QUOTE] Davis remembered as a visionary and EEO CEO. Will John Henry hire a person of color to take over the reigns? MLB currently has an over representation of white managers, by any measuring stick, they are doing an awful job of providing opportunity to qualified applicants...the NFL is better, numerically, though not as a player/coach percentage.  In the MLB even Hispanics don't get the jobs, even though they are widely represented in the player ranks. Apparrently the Fen-way is the white-way.  BTW, I havent seen one member of the KOTK, bring up this point, and yet they call themselves journalists.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Yes maybe Henry should hire a green or blue manager. Whats your point? Are trying to say that maybe the NBA should hire a lot more whites. So what do you call yourself???? GET OUT OF HERE !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry:
    [QUOTE]Your kidding me, right? For those of you who know me, I'm the odd ball here because I am a Die hard Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and RAIDERS fan! -- in CA. This is not even close, love him or hate, and most of us in Raiders Nation came to hate his moves, but we always respected the man, Al Davis was the Raiders, the Silver & Black, the Autum Wind, all the wonderful history I so fondly remember from the early 70's when my Mother & Father who are from Mass. changed their alliance to the Raiders from the Pats. To mention John Henry in the same sentence as Al Davis is not even close, Al Davis has had a huge impact on the league, not just the Raiders, the League, John Henry is not even close on this one but I give Mr. Henry allot of credit for turning the Red Sox around, after all, aren't we at least happy the McCourts did not end up with the Red Sox? RIP Mr. Davis and thank you for the winning years, it was a wild ride in Raiders Nation, still is... Out GM#21...
    Posted by gmm21[/QUOTE]

i definitely agree with you about Al Davis.  You really can't compare him to John Henry.  He did a lot to influence the entire sport of football as an assistant coach/coach, owner, etc.   I can't think of many owners who are former players or coaches except for Michael Jordan.  Henry although he has done a lot to turn the Red Sox franchise around since he became an owner,  will never accomplish what Davis accomplished for his respective sport. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Hey Telly,

Blacks seem to do OK as head coaches of basketball teams.  They've been head coaches of super bowl teams - obviously, blacks can successfully lead professional teams to championships. 

Now, if color isn't an issue, why don't more baseball teams have coaches of color?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ron Washington seems to be doing something right. Three wins away from getting back to the World Series after losing his ace from last year.

Kojak is right: It's not about color, it's about competence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Al Davis vs John Henry : You would think that you liberals would have learned from the last election, it's about competence not color.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

The last 3 have taught us that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Baseball’s grade for race dipped slightly from 92.5 to 91.6, while its grade for gender dropped from 82 to 79.3. Baseball’s overall score for the 2011 Report Card is 85.5, which is lower than the 2010 score of 87.3 that was MLB’s best-ever combined score. MLB’s combined grade for 2011 is a B+.

Richard Lapchick, principal author of the study and director of The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES) at the University of Central Florida, said, "Bud Selig has helped make MLB’s central and team front offices look more like America.

"Jackie Robinson’s dream was to see more African-Americans playing, coaching and in the front office. While this year there has been a slight decrease in the grade for racial and gender hiring practices, there has been a long-term consistent and dramatic increase in the role of people of color and women regarding who runs the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think the Rooney rule in the NFL is a good thing.  With the ever increasing number of Latino player in MLB, it only makes sense that they are equally represented in managerial and coaching positions.  People who complain about affirmative action or similar hiring practices just don't get it.  Ironically all sports already have affirmative action, it is called The Draft.  That is why 1-15 teams pick first and the Super Bowl champs pick last. 

As far as the Red Sox go, I hope they go with a fresh hire, meaning someone who isn't at this point a career manager/coach type but more in the Sciosca, Guillen, Girardi, mold.  A former player that hasn't been away from the game too long.  I think the White Sox may have a little too far in that direction with Ventura, who has 0 experience, but I'd like to see the Red Sox go in a similar direction. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Between 2010 and 2011 four managers of color out of nine left MLB and one was hired. The four that left were:

Cito Gaston - Toronto     85-77     Was asked to leave. Players despised him.

Jerrry Manuel - Mets        79-83     Was fired by owner.

Lou Piniella     - Cubs       Retired

Don Wakamatsu - Seattle    Fired     42-70

Were they let go for incompetence, retirement or for racial reasons.
    Ask Youkillus20, the Shadow Knows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Baseball’s grade for race dipped slightly from 92.5 to 91.6, while its grade for gender dropped from 82 to 79.3. Baseball’s overall score for the 2011 Report Card is 85.5, which is lower than the 2010 score of 87.3 that was MLB’s best-ever combined score. MLB’s combined grade for 2011 is a B+ . Richard Lapchick, principal author of the study and director of The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES) at the University of Central Florida, said, "Bud Selig has helped make MLB’s central and team front offices look more like America. "Jackie Robinson’s dream was to see more African-Americans playing, coaching and in the front office. While this year there has been a slight decrease in the grade for racial and gender hiring practices, there has been a long-term consistent and dramatic increase in the role of people of color and women regarding who runs the game.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

If they included low skill labor(maintenance and concessions) in the employment counts the hiring practices of MLB would look admirable. When the conversation is 27 managers in recent history, not so much. Central offices are easy to fill, your HR department does that, and the Front Office to a similar degree, but when it comes down to turning the team over to a manager, Jackie Robinson need not apply.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Gordon Edes jumps in on the subject today re Demarlo Hale at ESPN.COM:

...The fact that Hale is African-American should not be overlooked, given the team's tone-deaf history, but neither does it come close to explaining why the 50-year-old native of Chicago should rank high on the list of candidates being assembled by the Sox.

Youkillus20 once again at the forefront.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Here's the full story by Edes...

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7082441/demarlo-hale-right-man-boston-red-sox-manager-job

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I must be mistaken but wasn't Youlillus20 centering his gripe on MLB managers? Please read my last post. The managers who left between 2010 and 2011 were incompetent, fired, or retired. Why start threads to bring attention to yourself when you have not done any research and have a vested interest that is obvious to the aware posters. Very childish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

It is a de facto federal crime not to hire one single colored manager in the history of the Boston Red Sox. It is not brought up because race is merely a political tool of the Leftist elite.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought Joe "Magic" Morgan was a colorful manager.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]I must be mistaken but wasn't Youlillus20 centering his gripe on MLB managers? Please read my last post. The managers who left between 2010 and 2011 were incompetent, fired, or retired. Why start threads to bring attention to yourself when you have not done any research and have a vested interest that is obvious to the aware posters. Very childish.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

The death of Davis provided a backdrop to the ongoing vanilla practices of MLB. Davis was certainly considered ahead of his time by placing minorities on the coaches seat. The Sox in contrast, zero, nada, nothing. Since the Sox have an opening it's topical, as echoed by Gordon Edes of ESPN, which does not stand for THE CHILDISH NETWORK.
     Mr. UticaClub has meandered all around this thread, starting with demands for data, assuming that I was  a LIBERAL, and now claiming that the purpose was to draw attention...he notes that 4 managers of color were recently let go, so what? Does he imply then that they are incapable of being managers?
     That can be the only inference. Of course managers of all stripes can be fired or let go, that's true equality!
     UC is spot on with one thing though, his PIKE impersonation. The most boring of contributions are consistently the ones that comment about the threads, instead of on the thread. Good job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

UticaClub  has 48 posts, at least 22 mention another poster, the thread, or the board. Such a big emphasis on monitoring others! Please do as you said you would, and come back as BillBuckner. But don't shame his memory by failing to discuss baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Between 2010 and 2011 four managers of color out of nine left MLB and one was hired. The four that left were: Cito Gaston - Toronto     85-77     Was asked to leave. Players despised him. Jerrry Manuel - Mets        79-83     Was fired by owner. Lou Piniella     - Cubs       Retired Don Wakamatsu - Seattle    Fired     42-70 Were they let go for incompetence, retirement or for racial reasons. Ask Youkillus20, the Shadow Knows.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] was a shameful firing only because Minaya should have been right on Manuel's heels out the door...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

For years I thought that Lou Piniella was an Italian. I just found out that he has Latino blood in him but has lived in Florida all of his life. Marco Scutaro is Latino, he looks like a Presbyterian from Scotland? His name sounds like his father runs a pizza shop. Isn't it funny that some persons of "color" have a whiter complexion than people not listed in that group. Italy and Sicily has many inhabitants who are darker than most people of color from the Virgin Islands. Italy is only several hundred miles from Africa but yet we list them as being white. Spain has people of color and Framce is considered white.

Sounds to me that the debate that is using this definition "people of color" is much ado about nothing. Who really cares. Youkillus just wanted to stir the pot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

There is no quick fix to curb the decline of African-American players in the majors. There are several reasons for the dwindling numbers. They include: the rising popularity of football and basketball; the lack of facilities and leagues in urban areas; the limited baseball scholarships colleges and universities offer; the instant riches available in other sports; and economic and social obstacles that limit exposure to the game.

"All these factors come together and make this not such a simple problem to solve,".

Could there be a rebirth on the horizon? MLB opened its first Urban Youth Academy in early 2006 in Compton, Calif., with the idea of introducing baseball to urban youth in the community. The $10 million facility includes four fields, a huge clubhouse and learning facilities. It offers boys and girls instruction on not only baseball and softball, but such things as coaching, umpiring, scouting, groundskeeping and photography.

The Academy already has produced two players signed by major league teams: Lyndon Pool by the Dodgers and Cardoza Tucker by the Astros.

"It's been a fantastic success," Solomon said of the Academy, which is patterned after similar academies in Latin America and will serve as a prototype for other planned facilities around urban America.

The long-established Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program continues to produce prospects. Thirty-one graduates of the RBI program were drafted in 2005, including six in the first round. Another 11 were drafted last year.

"That's the type of impact these programs are starting to have," Solomon said. "We're doing our best to impact [the decline of African-Americans in the majors]. But it's not going to happen overnight."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_uLDRn8G7VvYa1SWJ4AgZzI#ixzz1aU5QOCby