AL East, 2 or 3 team race?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race?

Two team race.

But Boston won't be among the 2 teams.

The scab is about to get infected.

No beer  = no happy.

Then they will overdo the chicken and get even fatter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

There is no doubt it will be a 3 team race....the difference this year is because of the Angels improvements along with Texas, there should be two good records comings out of the West competing for a Wild Card. As for the Sox, yes...I would have liked to have added one more proven starter, but I really think that a) their September Collapse is being overrated when it comes to this years performance and b) they might be a better team right now then the team that was considered a sure thing this time last year.....a Top 10 reasons
    1) Though our 4 and 5 starters are up in the air....can we expect worse from those spots than we got from Lackey and Wake last year, when we were the best team in Baseball in August?
    2) Look at we got from our Corner Outfield production last year....isnt it almost a sure thing, that we will get more out of Craw/Sweeney and Ross this year?
    3) Bullpen will miss Papelbon/Bard(rotation), but Bailey/Melancon...Morales and Aceves in set roles for the whole year, makes the buullpen comparable if not better.
    4) I honestly think McClure is going to get alot more out of our Pitchers than Young did....I loved the line that I read somewhere, that Young spent the whole year smiling and nodding like a substitute teacher.
    5) I expect big things from Dice the second half.....his pitching talent is there...it was his comfort level and confidence that was always missing....I think Bobby V gives him that back.
    6) Arent we expecting alot more this year from Papi, then we expected from him last year at this time when we thought the team was the best ever?.
    7) Scuts did a great job last year(second half)....but again, at this time last year, what were our expectations from him..not much....why would we think that Aviles can't give us similar performance?
    8) Last year was a wasted year from Youk.....if healthy, and he says he is....we should get more from 3B.
    9) Last year we had the unknowns of Pedey and Gonzo coming off Injury...this year no such concerns, and
    10) I wouldnt absolutely count on Ells to putting up 2011 numbers again, but our expectations for him this year even at reduced numbers are far greater than expected last year.
    So all that said, why was Last years team the best in BB and so many think this years team can't compete with the Yankees and Rays??

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The Sox will go only as far as their pitching will take them. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race?:
    In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race? :  Hughes is an enigma and has yet to realize his full potential and as of today, appears to be the odd man out (He was signed to a 1 year non guaranteed contract). greetings BT as usual a very solid  post that said, I disagree about hughes I think they want hughes to win the job if 4 no other reason than his long term value I also don't get the reference to his contract is a non guaranteed contract rare when a team as that option ?
    Posted by pinstripezac

Morning Zac,

I'm not disputing the Yankees desire for Hughes to step up and win a job. Merely pointing out that he's currently #6 on the depth chart and due to his contract he's in a position where he has to win a job this spring...That they didn't offer him a longer term deal speaks volumes IMHO and that they signed both Garcia and Kuroda. Then aquired Pineda (all good moves), suggest that Hughes is the odd man out. So to answer your question, no it's not unsual for a team to make such an offer to an arbitration eligable player. It does however suggest that they don't see him in the same light that they once did...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race? : Morning Zac, I'm not disputing the Yankees desire for Hughes to step up and win a job. Merely pointing out that he's currently #6 on the depth chart and due to his contract he's in a position where he has to win a job this spring...That they didn't offer him a longer term deal speaks volumes IMHO and that they signed both Garcia and Kuroda. Then aquired Pineda (all good moves), suggest that Hughes is the odd man out. So to answer your question, no it's not unsual for a team to make such an offer to an arbitration eligable player. It does however suggest that they don't see him in the same light that they once did...
    Posted by Beantowne

BT - I think they actually do see him the same, but there was no way they would let him on it. He came into camp admittedly out of shape and he suffered the consequences for it. We think he learned from that. Reports this year - so far, so good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 team race. TB is not going away. They will probably be adding Davis of Moore to the pen. Jennings will be playing a full year, and Longoria will not be hampered by injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

All teams from the ALE and probably all playoff teams made it because their pitching was better than average. And it was usually the RP that carried them.

The only average hitter the Rays have is Longoria and he just barely gets to 300. the rest are 270- and most under 260. The Rays Starting pitching carried them last year and the RP did just enough. In past years it was the RP when they were the best in the AL that carried them.

The other teams in the ALE can get away with not as good pitching because they have more than the normal high average hitters.
    RS had 7 guys hit over 280 that played 100+ games. NYY had 3 in 300s and the rest were beween 270 and 300.

For the Rays it is all about SP and just a little help from the RP if the SP does as expected.
    For RS and NYY it will be RP. Both will be looking for the SP to do well but if they only get 5 out of the 4 & 5 guys RP becomes much more important.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Since it appears that MLB is expected to announce that an extra playoff team will be added this year...all 3 AL East teams could make it to the playoffs by grabbing the 2 WC spots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Since it appears that MLB is expected to announce that an extra playoff team will be added this year...all 3 AL East teams could make it to the playoffs by grabbing the 2 WC spots.
    Posted by traven

I'm not a big fan of the proposed change. Which as I understand it will be a 1 game playoff. I get that it'll add two must see tv game. Just don't agree that the WC teams should play 162 games with an unbalanced schedule. Then be handicapped entering the post season by having to run out thier best pitchers to earn the chance to move on to play a best of seven. From where I sit the division crown has already been compromised by the three division unbalanced schedule where no two team play the same schedule and was further compromised by adding intra-league play...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race? : BT - I think they actually do see him the same, but there was no way they would let him on it. He came into camp admittedly out of shape and he suffered the consequences for it. We think he learned from that. Reports this year - so far, so good.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Not sure I agree...they may still see him as a valuable commodity. Clearly he's taken a step backwards. Becaasue if they did see him in the same light (top of the rotation talant) they don't add two proven starters to the mix via FA and trade one of the best prospects in the game to add another starter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race? : Not sure I agree...they may still see him as a valuable commodity. Clearly he's taken a step backwards. Becaasue if they did see him in the same light (top of the rotation talant) they don't add two proven starters to the mix via FA and trade one of the best prospects in the game to add another starter.
    Posted by Beantowne

Actually they only added one in Kuroda. Pineda in my eyes is a heck of a talent but still needs to prove himself as a top of the line pitcher. Potential for potential in that trade. Signing Garcia is excellent coverage. And remember, they gave up a rotation guy in AJ Knucklehead.

You don't want to start the season with just 5 starting pitchers and your prospects. Cashman has repeatedly said he doesn't want to make the same mistake with these kids as he did several years ago with forcing Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain into the rotation early and all at once. He wants the B&B boys to start the year in AAA.

The rotation spot is Hughes to lose. He will have to be awfully bad to lose the rotation spot. Cashman and Girardi have both been quoted this spring as to what they believe Hughes will provide and their expectations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: AL East, 2 or 3 team race? : Actually they only added one in Kuroda. Pineda in my eyes is a heck of a talent but still needs to prove himself as a top of the line pitcher. Potential for potential in that trade. Signing Garcia is excellent coverage. And remember, they gave up a rotation guy in AJ Knucklehead. You don't want to start the season with just 5 starting pitchers and your prospects. Cashman has repeatedly said he doesn't want to make the same mistake with these kids as he did several years ago with forcing Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain into the rotation early and all at once. He wants the B&B boys to start the year in AAA. The rotation spot is Hughes to lose. He will have to be awfully bad to lose the rotation spot. Cashman and Girardi have both been quoted this spring as to what they believe Hughes will provide and their expectations.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jesse,

Not to split hairs, but they actually added three (while subracting 1 Burnett)...Garcia & Kuroda were both FA and Pineda was aquired via trade. All three IMHO along with CC & Nova represent the starting 5 unless I missed something? Which makes Hughes the odd man out baring an injury to one of the aforementioned? Hughes may well be part of the mix, but he's no longer seen as the heir apparant, nor is he penciled into the rotation today. Unless they plan to use Kuroda or Garica in the pen as longman/spot starters?

My point all along has been not whether they see Hughes as a player with value. Cleary the kid has the tools to be a quality ML pitcher, a commodity that teams can never have enough of...He along with Garcia and Kuroda give the Yanks depth on the backend of the rotation. However the reality is that Hughes once had his name written in pen as a lock to be part of the rotation, today his name is written in pencil...

The math and logic suggest that he's the guy that has to earn a spot given that CC, Nova and Pineda are locks to break camp in the rotation. It's hard to argue that Garica based on last seasons showing hasn't earned a spot too and Kuroda IMHO doesn't sign if he has to "earn" a spot. Which leaves Hughes as the organizational depth (a good problem to have).

Have I missed something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

It's kind of funny ... The Sox lineup is largely the same as it was last year, when they went into the season as the favorite. Now, they're being dismissed as a contender in the division.

365 days ago, Crawford hadn't stunk up the North East Yet.

Youkalis is a year older. Dude can't stay healthy to save his life...

And, in all seriousness, the team kinda....from a true baseball fan point of view? The way they've disrespected themselves and the game? You can blame it on Too Much Grease and Beer; and too little cardio - We can't crown these guttless guys (tho a few still HAVE the gutts)

Lets not forget (and I know this isn't "lineup") The Manager. You've lost the Team's Best Manager in history and replaced him with....well, with That. 

Best Closer in Red Sox history is gone too. After Mariano, JP was pretty much 2nd or 3rd best closer in the game.

But I go back to showing the world what they're made of. They don't deserve people picking them for much of anything. People would much rather see Tampa or Toronto compete this year.

Sections
Shortcuts