A.L. East Standings at All Star Break

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

A.L. East Standings at All Star Break

W           L          GB
    New York                        55          34         --- 
    Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5
    Boston                            50          40          5.5

Rationale:  Yankees and Rays trending up and getting healthier by the day.  Red Sox trending down and carrying too much dead wood.  Wakefield and Lackey will pitch every fifth day; Lester has yet to prove he can be a stopper; Beckett has to build up strength; Miller is a question mark against American League teams; Crawford and Buchholtz probably won't be back until mid-July .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break

Makes sense to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hard to believe that if the Yankees hadn't ruined baseball that Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia would be pitching 1-2 in Cleveland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why stop there?  That rationale seems to dictate something more like:

W           L          GB
    New York                        55          34         ---  
    Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5 
    Boston                            46          44         9.5

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break:
    [QUOTE]Why stop there?  That rationale seems to dictate something more like:       W           L          GB New York                        55          34         ---   Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5  Boston                            46          44         9.5

Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Good to see you being optimistic there space!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break : Good to see you being optimistic there space!
    Posted by The--Babe[/QUOTE]

Just following the OPs line of thought Babe.  I have a distinctly different rationale, as you might imagine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break : Just following the OPs line of thought Babe.  I have a distinctly different rationale, as you might imagine.

LOL...How's the old 'hood? Hope things are well with Baby space!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break : LOL...How's the old 'hood? Hope things are well with Baby space!

THE BK is hitting its summertime glory, except for these damned asian tiger mosquitos.  space baby is great except that she was cackling at the tv the entire game last night.  not a good sign.  maybe i should have bought more Sox onesies and bibs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Why stop there?  That rationale seems to dictate something more like:       W           L          GB New York                        55          34         ---   Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5  Boston                            46          44         9.5

This was funny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to A.L. East Standings at All Star Break:
    [QUOTE]                                      W           L          GB New York                        55          34         ---  Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5 Boston                            50          40          5.5 Rationale:  Yankees and Rays trending up and getting healthier by the day.  Red Sox trending down and carrying too much dead wood.  Wakefield and Lackey will pitch every fifth day; Lester has yet to prove he can be a stopper; Beckett has to build up strength; Miller is a question mark against American League teams; Crawford and Buchholtz probably won't be back until mid-July .
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

Wow. You must be awesome on the Patriots' board.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break : LOL...How's the old 'hood? Hope things are well with Baby space!
    ========================================================
      Had to make another name I see.God you must have one miserable life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Everyone always expects the current trend to continue, even though it never does.  What was the trend when the Sox swept the Yanks?  What was the trend during April?

Baseball is always up and down, get hot, get cold, someone gets injured, someone comes back, the pitcher misses his location by two inches or gains it back.

There is no more reason to think the Yanks will be 5 games ahead of the Sox in two weeks than there is that the Sox will be 3 games ahead of the Yanks in two weeks.

That is why the game is played between the lines.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

the sox will be in 3rd place, 6 games behind the better put together yank-ems.

i blame this catastrophe on theo inepstein; may his long run in boston finally come to an end; he's embarrassed himself and red sox fans with his inane free agent signings. and what's even more upsetting, theo is arrogant; what does that clown done in the last 4 years to be arrogant about?
    oh yeah, if 'coma left with him, it would be a win-win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to A.L. East Standings at All Star Break:
    [QUOTE]                                      W           L          GB New York                        55          34         ---  Tampa Bay                      53          39         3.5 Boston                            50          40          5.5 Rationale:  Yankees and Rays trending up and getting healthier by the day.  Red Sox trending down and carrying too much dead wood.  Wakefield and Lackey will pitch every fifth day; Lester has yet to prove he can be a stopper; Beckett has to build up strength; Miller is a question mark against American League teams; Crawford and Buchholtz probably won't be back until mid-July .
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]
    Logical

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break :   ..and the Sox wouldn't have acquired Manny and Papi...
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

Ortiz didn't sign with the Red sox until the end of January in 2003. Any team could've picked him up. Other teams were scared off by his injuries, not money.

And his first contract with the Red Sox was for 1.25 million for one year. A real budget buster for most teams, right?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone always expects the current trend to continue, even though it never does.  What was the trend when the Sox swept the Yanks?  What was the trend during April? Baseball is always up and down, get hot, get cold, someone gets injured, someone comes back, the pitcher misses his location by two inches or gains it back. There is no more reason to think the Yanks will be 5 games ahead of the Sox in two weeks than there is that the Sox will be 3 games ahead of the Yanks in two weeks. That is why the game is played between the lines.
    Posted by Kamdog[/QUOTE]

very true kamdog

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break :   I understand. I was referring to free agency in general, which I believe is what the poster was crediting the Yankees with creating, and thus destroying baseball.

And one the best examples you could find was Ortiz and his massive 1.25 million, one year contract?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break :  Nope. I was saying that without the benefit of free agency, the Sox wouldn't have been able to capitilize on their sharp scouting team's recommendation to take a chance on Ortiz. Result of contract is not my point, nor the length. I think that is Burrito's lament, at least in the case of Sabathia and Lee. If that was the case I would have cited Drew or Lugo. Hopefully that is not anyone's perception. Smaller contracts pay off, too. Colon could pitch no more games this year and could still be considered a successful investment. That's an example.

I doubt Burrito was refering to free angency in general.

But, I'm sure you knew that when you answered him.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Hard to believe that if the Yankees hadn't ruined baseball that Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia would be pitching 1-2 in Cleveland.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

come on burrito you know better than that

it wasn't uncle geo who said

''"A well paid slave is nonetheless a slave,"

ironically uncle geo did try to buy clev B4 buying the yanks

if he had those guys just might still be there

if you were serious about your comment

I suggest you keep your eyes open for a HBO spec

on curt flood

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-curt-flood-documentary-premiers-in-st-louis-20110628-story,0,6800726.story

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A.L. East Standings at All Star Break :   Yeah, I think I did, Niz. Hence any misconception about the intent of my response. Burrito might want to realize that were Lee and Sabathia to still be pitching for Cleveland, A.L. life would be more miserable than it is now for the hitters.  And, just for the record- and I'm sure you know this- Tommy Henrich was the first free agent, in 1937, after being hidden in the Indians' minor league system for 3 years, or until the team could capitilize on him on their own terms. Commissioner Landis ruled on that. So asa early as then, players were livestock, playing where they were told they had to play and to suck it up.

Wow, you can google. Impressive...