AL East still the toughest division

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AL East still the toughest division

Those other threads claiming it isn't are nonsense. 

This year the AL East winner had the best record in the AL, and the top two teams contending for the wild card were Tampa and Boston, both from the AL East, with Tampa winning on the last day.

Success or lack thereof in the playoffs doesn't prove much--unless, of course, you go 86 years without winning a WS.  Ever since the Yankees won two straight WS about ten years ago, MLB has shown amazing balance in the playoffs.  The team with the best W-L record in MLB each year continues to be a longshot to actually win the WS.  Wild cards have done just as well.  Better still, in the ten years since the Yankees won WS back to back, every MLB division has produced at least one WS champ, with the AL East having the most at 3. 

The simple fact is, having eight teams in the playoffs produces a gauntlet that can defeat the best of teams. 

This year is a great example.  Forget the Yankees losing to the Tigers, and look at the two NL NLDS series.  The favored Brewers won the first two over the Diamondbacks, but now have to win back in Milwaukee to get to the NLCS.   

And the Phillies, with the best record and absolutely the best pitching--you know, pitching, the sine qua non for postseason success--in MLB this year have to win tonight at home against the Cardinals or they are out.  Their big three starters haven't looked all that great, just as Sabathia didn't look that great.  Or the sterling Tampa Bay Rays pitchers.  Nova, the Yankees youngster who was so great the last half of the 2011 season, gave up two solo dingers to the Tigers in the first inning last night. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Re: AL East still the toughest division

In Response to AL East still the toughest division:
    [QUOTE]Those other threads claiming it isn't are nonsense.  This year the AL East winner had the best record in the AL, and the top two teams contending for the wild card were Tampa and Boston, both from the AL East, with Tampa winning on the last day. Success or lack thereof in the playoffs doesn't prove much--unless, of course, you go 86 years without winning a WS.  Ever since the Yankees won two straight WS about ten years ago, MLB has shown amazing balance in the playoffs.  The team with the best W-L record in MLB each year continues to be a longshot to actually win the WS.  Wild cards have done just as well.  Better still, in the ten years since the Yankees won WS back to back, every MLB division has produced at least one WS champ, with the AL East having the most at 3.  The simple fact is, having eight teams in the playoffs produces a gauntlet that can defeat the best of teams.  This year is a great example.  Forget the Yankees losing to the Tigers, and look at the two NL NLDS series.  The favored Brewers won the first two over the Diamondbacks, but now have to win back in Milwaukee to get to the NLCS.    And the Phillies, with the best record and absolutely the best pitching--you know, pitching, the sine qua non for postseason success--in MLB this year have to win tonight at home against the Cardinals or they are out.  Their big three starters haven't looked all that great, just as Sabathia didn't look that great.  Or the sterling Tampa Bay Rays pitchers.  Nova, the Yankees youngster who was so great the last half of the 2011 season, gave up two solo dingers to the Tigers in the first inning last night. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    good post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I don't place great weight in the outcome of a single series in the postseason. However, the AL East now has lost four straight series in the postseason, two by a two-game margin and two by the narrowest one-game margin. I attach at least some significance to that four-series losing streak.

The World Series champ does not alwaya come from the dominant division in the regular season.

I DON'T think the 2007 Red Sox and their World Series title are tainted by the fact that the AL East posted an 82-92 record against the AL West that season. I DON'T think the 2009 Yankees and their World Series title are tainted by the fact that the AL East posted a 79-95 record against the AL West that season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Those other threads claiming it isn't are nonsense.  This year the AL East winner had the best record in the AL, and the top two teams contending for the wild card were Tampa and Boston, both from the AL East, with Tampa winning on the last day. Success or lack thereof in the playoffs doesn't prove much--unless, of course, you go 86 years without winning a WS.  Ever since the Yankees won two straight WS about ten years ago, MLB has shown amazing balance in the playoffs.  The team with the best W-L record in MLB each year continues to be a longshot to actually win the WS.  Wild cards have done just as well.  Better still, in the ten years since the Yankees won WS back to back, every MLB division has produced at least one WS champ, with the AL East having the most at 3.  The simple fact is, having eight teams in the playoffs produces a gauntlet that can defeat the best of teams.  This year is a great example.  Forget the Yankees losing to the Tigers, and look at the two NL NLDS series.  The favored Brewers won the first two over the Diamondbacks, but now have to win back in Milwaukee to get to the NLCS.    And the Phillies, with the best record and absolutely the best pitching--you know, pitching, the sine qua non for postseason success--in MLB this year have to win tonight at home against the Cardinals or they are out.  Their big three starters haven't looked all that great, just as Sabathia didn't look that great.  Or the sterling Tampa Bay Rays pitchers.  Nova, the Yankees youngster who was so great the last half of the 2011 season, gave up two solo dingers to the Tigers in the first inning last night. 

The bottom line is, we may have good teams in the AL East but it all comes down to the team who has. 

#1 Strong player development waiting in the wings
    #2 Good management
    #3 Strong pitching
    #4 Chemistry
    #5 Strong work ethic/training
    #6 Ability to perform under pressure

This team didn't have it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i guess at some level this gives you solace after a terrible season but it is moot - also the results of the postseason speak the loudest

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

craze4sox,

Where in my post did I attempt to explain away what happened to the Sox in September?  I barely mentioned them.  My point is that the AL East is still tough because:  1) it has more WS titles in the last ten years than any other division; 2) it regularly provides the AL wild card team; 3) this year the two closest contenders for the AL wild card came from the AL East.  So, please rebut that and not some nonexistent defense of the Sox.

georom4, who is looking for solace?  I'm just arguing what I think are indisputable facts.  Plus, allow me to repeat something you appear to have ignored:  the AL East teams have won more WS titles, three,  in the last ten years (all after the Yankees won two in a row) than any of the other five divisions.  So that means they are better in the postseason.  Also, if the postseason is the only criterion for evaluation a division or a team, then there is a very good chance that the Phillies, despite a great record, great pitching staff, and pretty good manager, are just a bunch of losers this year.  I don't buy that, of course, but apparently you do. 

I am not at all arguing that postseason games are meaningless because in fact I love the postseason.  Great baseball.  I'm just saying that, when the wild card teams do as well in the postseason as the teams with the best records, we can probably conclude that MLB is actually pretty balanced.  As good as Philly is, they ain't poifect and can be beat.  Ditto the Yankees.  And the Rays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

The american league east i think was the best division, but you have to win playoff games against other divisions to cement that claim...it hasnt happened - as a matter of fact i think you could easily say given recent results that the AL East is by far the most overrated division in baseball...and I am tired of all these dumb statistical arguments by Sox cheerleaders (not directed at your op) trying to salvage the season...if i read one more time that our offense was the best/most productive in mlb, I'm goin to knife somebody. This season was a disaster - our manager was a disaster, our GM is bolting, our owner is more interested in boating and "football", and the one thing we all really like, the players, apparently are drunken ingrates whon could care less about the team and its fans. Dark days.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: AL East still the toughest division:
    [QUOTE]In Response to AL East still the toughest division : i guess at some level this gives you solace after a terrible season but it is moot - also the results of the postseason speak the loudest
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Does that mean St. Louis has a better team than Philly?
    It only means Philly couldn't rise to expectation in a short 5-game series.
    Baseball has too many variables to be measured by a few short series.

We've seen plenty of examples where the best team - like the best horse - doesn't always win every time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AL East still the toughest division : Does that mean St. Louis has a better team than Philly? It only means Philly couldn't rise to expectation in a short 5-game series. Baseball has too many variables to be measured by a few short series. We've seen plenty of examples where the best team - like the best horse - doesn't always win every time.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Carpenter, bad arm and all, was something else tonight, and was terrific in general in the 2nd half of the season. He reminds me of Jack Morris, maybe even better. One thing the Cardinals and Tigers have in common; they were both red-hot in September. Anybody who tells you that doesn't matter, as a general rule, is dreaming.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Team form is always important.
    That's why the PO's are often a crapshoot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Team form is always important. That's why the PO's are often a crapshoot.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

It as been statistically proven that a baseball team that would beat another team 60% of the time over an infinite sample size would win a 23 game series (H2H) only 90% of the time; I read this in a statistical journal when I was in grad school. (Which doesn't explain why the Yankees were 14-1 in WS play between '27 and '53; the only loss occurring in War time; were they that much better? Or was it lucky as well?)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Looking at the playoffs so far...Detroit was the hot team and NY was coming in with a losing streak.  St Louis was the super hot team and Philly was not playing good ball.  Tampa Bay exhausted their entire pitching staff and had to start a rookie in game one against Texas.

The best team doesn't always win...but the hottest team usually has a better chance in the playoffs.  First round playoffs are very hard to survive with a best of 5 format. 

Pitching is always the key ingredient in winning any series in the playoffs.  Yankees didn't have great pitching - Detroit did or at least better than NY.  TB had the better pitching but was unable to set their lineup for the playoffs and Texas won that battle.  Philly and St Louis both had great pitching but St Louis was on a roll and that continued in the playoffs.  Milwaukee basically did it on hitting - they will not go far in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

call me stupid but if a team wins a playoff series, i usually find that team to be better....even when the Patriots went undefeated in 2007, they still lost to the better team that Superbowl....if you believe otherwise, why have playoffs? Better yet, let baseball reference.com decide who the best team is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let's face it, playoffs are set up as much to provide entertainment, maybe moreso, than they are to determine who is the best team.  Especially those opening round best 3 of 5's.  A team can win 105 games, but if they lose the first game of the LDS they're suddenly in big trouble.  Entertaining, yes.  Fair, not really.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The american league east i think was the best division, but you have to win playoff games against other divisions to cement that claim...it hasnt happened - as a matter of fact i think you could easily say given recent results that the AL East is by far the most overrated division in baseball...and I am tired of all these dumb statistical arguments by Sox cheerleaders (not directed at your op) trying to salvage the season...if i read one more time that our offense was the best/most productive in mlb, I'm goin to knife somebody. This season was a disaster - our manager was a disaster, our GM is bolting, our owner is more interested in boating and "football", and the one thing we all really like, the players, apparently are drunken ingrates whon could care less about the team and its fans. Dark days.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Great post. 

Sections
Shortcuts