AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO?

it seemed so easy a month ago. just have mlb put adrian gonzalez's name out there and move on. the minute we think we have all the answers, ells changes the question. as of now, i'm leaning towards ellsbury. you must factor in expectation, position played, and all the different things he's doing to win games. talking speed, defense, power, average, walks, ops and so forth. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO?

Pedie!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO?:
    it seemed so easy a month ago. just have mlb put adrian gonzalez's name out there and move on. the minute we think we have all the answers, ells changes the question. as of now, i'm leaning towards ellsbury. you must factor in expectation, position played, and all the different things he's doing to win games. talking speed, defense, power, average, walks, ops and so forth. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Jacoby "comeback player of the year" and Gonzo MVP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Well they are both having career years so why not Co MVPs????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO?:
    In Response to AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO? : Jacoby "comeback player of the year" and Gonzo MVP.
    Posted by craze4sox

Without a doubt..agree 100%

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO? : Jacoby "comeback player of the year" and Gonzo MVP.
    Posted by craze4sox
    ells now has as many HRs as a-gon and his RBI totals are ridiculous for a leadoff guy. will end up with 30 and about 85 RBIs and 50 steals. that would be tough to ignore. esp with about 150 runs scored and over 200 hits. agon will be the batting champion if he can hld off pedy's late charge and the RBI leader. suddenly he hasnt been the second half MVP.. we'll see!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Pedroia.

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

nearly 2 months to go, could be pedey ells gonzo, lots of baseball left

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Fifty three games left.  Performance down the stretch will decide the MVP, not to mention the pennant, as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

What if Bedard goes on a underfeated run, wins MVP World Series, he may get it...

Love having too many good players on the Sox...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

tough choice, but Agon: BA: .357 HR: 18 RBI: 90 and OBP: .418 is just epic

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Pedroia.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    spacy, should have included PEDY.. bad omission on my part. i just dont see him sustaining it though and he did slump very badly to start things. gonzo and ells have been level all year!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO? : Without a doubt..agree 100%
    Posted by southpaw777

Not to take anything away from Ells or Gonzalez, Beckett has a good shot at comeback player too, and Pedroia is my current pick for MVP.

Bautista is right up there, but not playing on a playoff contending team will likely hurt his chances, right or wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

CC 

I've resisted this ... but Spaceman did the other thing that is so clearly an option ... Pedey was .411 in July and Ells and Pedey led the league in HRs in the month (maybe the majors ....)

Gonzo carried us to the point the others came in and made their differences ... such a great dilemma.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO? : spacy, should have included PEDY.. bad omission on my part. i just dont see him sustaining it though and he did slump very badly to start things. gonzo and ells have been level all year!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Com-con - i wasn't calling you out.  Wasn't a bad ommision.  After the last two nights, the debate rightfully is Adrian and Jacoby.  But, I just wanted to throw Pedey in to give a shout out to an amazing line-up that has three, actually five, legit centerpieces.  This makes me giddy, harkening back to when i was a 'lil space boy in the late seventies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I don't care. I'd rather see them both win a WS championship than any individual awards. Winning is everything. Individual accolades are nice, but ultimately mean very little, IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: AL MVP: ELLS OR GONZO? : Not to take anything away from Ells or Gonzalez, Beckett has a good shot at comeback player too, and Pedroia is my current pick for MVP. Bautista is right up there, but not playing on a playoff contending team will likely hurt his chances, right or wrong.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    hi Kimmi, not that i think he'll win..but i really hope that they don't hold that against him..i'm not sure how comparable the numbers will end up but i definitely think this current Jays' team is better than the Ranger team that Alex won MVP on...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 3/21/2006
    Last: 8/4/2011
    I don't care. I'd rather see them both win a WS championship than any individual awards. Winning is everything. Individual accolades are nice, but ultimately mean very little, IMO.

DD,

I think they would all agree with you 100%.

And we could always have fun talking about it more AFTER the next duck boat rides ...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

at least part of the reason Ells is having a good season is the guys hitting right behind him. thats the reason i say Gonzo is still MVP in my book although Ells is having an fabulous season too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Neither.

Pedey, by year's end.

Clean up hitter that he is...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"hi Kimmi, not that i think he'll win..but i really hope that they don't hold that against him..i'm not sure how comparable the numbers will end up but i definitely think this current Jays' team is better than the Ranger team that Alex won MVP on..."

Hi Jete, I can actually understand points on both sides of that argument.  I guess it depends on what the voters' interpretation of "most valuable" is.  IMO, "most valuable" does not necessarily mean the best player.

If 2 players have fairly comparable numbers and one player's team makes it to the postseason while the other player's team does not, I would say that player on the playoff team was more valuable to his team than the other.  How valuable is a player who might help his team win 78 games as opposed to 70 games, versus a player who might help his team win 95 games as opposed to 90 games, which could be the difference between postseason or not.

OTOH, a player like Pedroia has the luxury of playing with other MVP caliber players to help him carry the team, while another playing might more or less have to carry the charge by himself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

What if Bedard goes on a underfeated run, wins MVP World Series, he may get it... Love having too many good players on the Sox...
    Posted by beavis

That is a very optimistic viewpoint.   We really need another pitcher that we can rely on in the playoffs. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I agree with Jete. It'd be a shame to see Bautista overlooked when his #s are really on another level than everyone else. I guess another way to ask the question is if any of the Sox players being mentioned would be MVP candidates if they were on the Jays. My guess is no.

Kimmi has it right. The MVP has much more to do with a player's value to his team than being the best player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo by a long shot IMO.  Let's not get carried away here.   Gonzo had the most hits ever in the first half for a Red Sox.  He has been nothing short of spectacular.   Best defensive first baseman too, no offense to Tex.

Sections
Shortcuts