Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn!

In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn!:
    [QUOTE]Another massive move by Ben! Traded the Justin Morneau clone, Lars Anderson, for a minor league pitcher. Another overrated Sox prospect who was a big bust. Just think, he was an "untouchable" a few years ago!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

What is your point?  lars never panned out.  do you think the sox are the only club with minore league prospects who looked good early and then didn't pan out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

For the record, I think this is a good trade.  Although I am sure it could have been done for just Albers......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn!:
    [QUOTE]For the record, I think this is a good trade.  Although I am sure it could have been done for just Albers......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]At least we didn't give up Jeff Bagwell for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

What was with all this J Upton talk?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

And Probably Two Months In The Making......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Don't see much on the home front in the way of improvement for this year.  I guess FO will go with the status quo and see what happens! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : Agree.  It seems like a sensible move from an organizational and personnel standpoint but it isn't splashy enough for the masses. 1 minute- Carl Crawford is the biggest bust in American sports history. Next minute-  Ben is an IDIOT for not making a big move. Gotta love it....
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

even if he did these idiots would still whine and moan and say he gave up too much for garbage.
    nothing is ever good enough for most posters on here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Watch when CC says this week he's going to have to shut it down. Then the Sox will force Nava and Kalish, the CopperDust Twins, back to LF when they could have simply had Podsednik on the roster to replace CC. Ross is now without a platoon in RF as well. Albers was a pretty good reliever. Breslow is just another former Sox that the Sox always covet back 5 years later, like they have been doing while trying to court back Masterson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Gives Bobby V more flexibility.  If it means Morales back to the rotation, and Cook in the Bob Stanley role, I think the pitching staff is improved, both in the bullpen and in the rotation.  Hard to complain about that.  Podsednik?  He wasn't even on the 25-man roster and had no future with this team.  Good chance for him to find playing time.

Not the big splash fans want, but maybe a perfect fit for a team finally ready to make a move.  We'll see...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : In this order: Johnson Dempster Garza Morales
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

I'd put Morales first when you consider all of the factors.  There is no way anybody was going to give Miami what they were asking for Johnson, I like Morales' "stuff" better than Garza's (who is injured) and Dempster wouldn't have agreed to come here. 

People don't seem to get this, but Morales may have been the best "available" starter and they gave up nothing to get him.  Breslow allows them to move him back in the rotation at some point.  Also,they may have to shut down Doubront, so I don't think they move Cook, who at worst, gives them much needed depth..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Not supposed to be a big move.  The Sox have assembled a large cast of bit part players for no/low cost and will soon need to DFA or trade several of them.  Many have done well and can be sold high.

We just got Craig Breslow, no Koufax but an effective LHR for 4 years now, for 2 guys that cost nothing while clearing roster space.  Smart move....hopefully neither our biggest nor our last.

Why is that hard to understand?  Or is the opportunity to b1tch and moan the priority?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : I'd put Morales first when you consider all of the factors.  There is no way anybody was going to give Miami what they were asking for Johnson, I like Morales' "stuff" better than Garza's (who is injured) and Dempster wouldn't have agreed to come here.  People don't seem to get this, but Morales may have been the best "available" starter and they gave up nothing to get him.  Breslow allows them to move him back in the rotation at some point.  Also,they may have to shut down Doubront, so I don't think they move Cook, who at worst, gives them much needed depth..
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

wish thed never have takern morales out. he was one of the 2 best performers at the time on the mound

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Does anyone know Breslow's contract status?  Seems to me the Sox will want to keep him around for 2013, at least.

Not worth an entirely new thread, IMO, so here is a complete non sequitur...Roy Oswalt could have signed with the Sox and been an important piece of their rotation.  Instead, he signed with Texas and is now demoted to their bullpen.  Good for you Roy...you get what you deserve!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinFan1982. Show BostonBruinFan1982's posts

I'm happy the sox didn't make any moves. I still think this is a playoff team underachieving. Lets hope they wake up

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone know Breslow's contract status?  Seems to me the Sox will want to keep him around for 2013, at least. Not worth an entirely new thread, IMO, so here is a complete non sequitur...Roy Oswalt could have signed with the Sox and been an important piece of their rotation.  Instead, he signed with Texas and is now demoted to their bullpen.  Good for you Roy...you get what you deserve!
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]I think this is his last arb year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : I'd put Morales first when you consider all of the factors.  There is no way anybody was going to give Miami what they were asking for Johnson, I like Morales' "stuff" better than Garza's (who is injured) and Dempster wouldn't have agreed to come here.  People don't seem to get this, but Morales may have been the best "available" starter and they gave up nothing to get him.  Breslow allows them to move him back in the rotation at some point.  Also,they may have to shut down Doubront, so I don't think they move Cook, who at worst, gives them much needed depth..
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

then how is the guy pushed out of our rotation?  and we are talking about a rotation that only has 2 reliable starers (1 if you include the entire season)....what does that say about us right now? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Great trade! This one is sure to put the Red Sox over the top. They should now be considered  the odds on favorites to win the wild card race, if not the American League East.
    Seriously, its a good trade in that Morales can now re-enter the rotation AND Cherington didn't do anything stupid and trade away any prospects in our system in order to go for broke this year. Guess it will be a few more years until we have extricated ourselves from the contracts of Lackey, Beckett, Lester, and Crawford and, if good judgement is used, become relevant again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : I think this is his last arb year.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

1 more arb year according to B-R. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : 1 more arb year according to B-R. 
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]That's what I get for posting without looking it up first. Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Albers and Posednick for Craig Breslow. Ben's Big Move. Yawn! : then how is the guy pushed out of our rotation?  and we are talking about a rotation that only has 2 reliable starers (1 if you include the entire season)....what does that say about us right now? 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

drewm, it says the organization has no idea what it is doing. They are making "justifications" about their moves and non-moves. But it always comes out bizarre. The bizarre purgatory that they put Podsednik in when he should have come back to the MLB roster. The no explanation as to why Lavarnway WASN'T BROUGHT UP when he clearly could have helped at DH with Ortiz on the DL. The no explanation of why BV kept putting Nava in the 2 hole, the 3 hole, the leadoff spot at DH and LF and RF (Insanity) when he could have simply put Shoppach at C and Salty at DH (or what's been done now for 2 straight games). The no explanation as to WHY they needed to go to a 5-man rotation when it was working fine with a 6-man rotation. They wanted to remove Morales from the rotation to give Beckett and Lester LESS DAYS between starts? Does that make sense? To cater to guys not performing over a young lefty who was doing well? Then this hogwash that they needed Morales to be a "second" lefty in the pen. People do know that the Sox have played some recent seasons WITH NO LEFTY RELIEVERS on the staff, let alone TWO!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I love the move, if only because it helps the club in 2013 without moving any long term assets.  Yes, we could have kept Albers next season, but seeing what Morales can do in the rotation full time gives us a clearer picture for exactly what moves are needed this winter.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Maybe Albers has suddenly turned his career around this year at age 29.  But his 6 previous years were largely terrible.  It's a "great" move in the sense that we may be selling high on a guy having a career year who would have been DFA'd soon anyway (Bailey back soon) i.e. got something for an asset we would have had to give away soon.

Same thing with Lars;  no value to the Sox as his performance in AAA has been poor and the one position he can play is blocked for years.  The Sox had no leverage at all....and got an asset in return that might have value.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I love how people are on here saying that forum members want a "splash".  In my experience, its the opposite.  It seems like everybody only wants to find the "next big thing", and is more concerned with with how many home grown players we have than how many games we win.

Most posters are so in love with youth that they fall in love with every player in our farm system, even though less than 10% are going to pan out. 

Me?  I say use EVERY AVENUE to field the best team possible.  Trades, free agents, draft.  Not just the draft, like most posters.

Winning /> having a cheap team of home grown players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Drew, so dead on...I can't stress that enough....Homegrown talent never did anything to aid a championship in Boston. They won with hired hands in 04, 07, and the fact remains those were veteran teams with parts added in from all other avenues. I am sick of the Lavarnway bandwagon too (although I just wanted him for DH purposes when Ortiz was put on DL--another story)...The only thing I will say in regard to Ben is that I felt his best move would be none at all--not because it would do nothing to better the team--but for his own job security. If he made another big deal that busted--he'd be on the hot seat in 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

04, C-Varitek (trade)
    1b-Millar (free agent)
    2b-Bellhorn (free agent)
    3b-Mueller (free agent)
    SS-Cabrera (trade)
    LF-Manny (free agent)
    CF-Damon (free agent)
    RF-Nixon...homegrown!!!
    SP-Schilling (trade), Pedro (free agent), Wakefield (free agent scrapheap), 
    Lowe (trade), Foulke (closer, free agent), Timlin (free agent), Embree (trade?).
    get the point, people?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ortiz, DH (another not homegrown pickup)

Sections
Shortcuts