Albert Pujols contract???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Albert Pujols contract???

We always talk about dumb contracts why not this one...The LAA back loaded his 10 year contract so tht they could sign Wilson.
    So while he will make 12 m  and 16 M in the first two years at the age of 40, 41 and 42 he will be making 30M.
    Is any future DH worth 30 M at the age of 40, 41 and 42?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Albert Pujols contract???

Chances are by the time he is 38 he will be hitting 23 homers and driving in 80 runs.... I am very happy Boston does not own that contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Albert Pujols contract???:
    We always talk about dumb contracts why not this one...The LAA back loaded his 10 year contract so tht they could sign Wilson. So while he will make 12 m  and 16 M in the first two years at the age of 40, 41 and 42 he will be making 30M. Is any future DH worth 30 M at the age of 40, 41 and 42?????
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

And I believe Pujols owns full-no trade clause. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

JUST GLAD THAT OUR RED SOX WERE NOT INVOLVED.... LOOKS LIKE THE DAYS OF THEO & TIPPY TOO ARE IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR..... BEN C. & LUCCIANO's ARE DOING IT THE OTHER WAY, ON THE CHEAP & TRADES....NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT !!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Bill, with all due respect, Theo is the one who kept the Sox out of that race by trading for and signing AGon to what now looks like a bargain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract???:
    Bill, with all due respect, Theo is the one who kept the Sox out of that race by trading for and signing AGon to what now looks like a bargain.
    Posted by parhunter1
    THANKS FOR THE RESPECT..... HOWEVER, "LET ME BE CLEAR",  THE SOX HAVE DECIDED (FOR THE MOST PART) THAT YOU CAN WIN (SEE THE LAST 3 W S) FROM THE BOTTOM UP, WITH THE USE OF A GOOD 25 MAN ROSTER, GOOD FARM SYSTEM, AND KEY TRADES AND MID-LEVEL TYPE SIGNINGS...  YES, THEO IS GONE, YA THINK LUCCIANO's WOULD LOVE TO HAVE LAST YEARS CHECKBOOK BACK ?? I MEAN, BECKETT,CRAWFORD,YOUK & MAYBE A-GON TOO ???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Albert Pujols contract??? : Is any future DH worth 30 M at the age of 40, 41 and 42????? no more than he's worth 12 m and 16 M in the first two years so why focus on the end of the contract besides it could depend on what records he's chasing / breaking   at that point as long as he stays clean / lucky
    Posted by pinstripezac

I think it's a basd contract no matter you view it.

This is the way I view it.  During the course of Gonzo's 7-year contract, he should be about as good as Pujols.  Not so much because he is as good right now, but because the decline in the last 2-3 years will be more pronounced with Pujols than with Gonzo, since Gonzo won't hit those dreaded 36+ years.

To me, that makes Pujols first 7 years over-priced by ~ $23-24M.  Assuming he is worth $8M per for the final 3 years, that's about $51M overpriced, for a total of about $75M overpriced.

You'd think by now the lesson of CLee, Soriano, and ARod would've sunk in.  These guys get old and decline no matter how much you pay them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Angels are taking advantage of the Dodgers fall - if they can own that market their revenue will justify the signing albeit not for the entire 10 years. 

The AGone contract which officially begins in 2012 could also end up being a bad one too though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The final answer to this question will be whether Pujols leads the Angels to any World Series Titles over the next 10 years. If he can lead the team to two or three, then this contract will have been well worth it from a team standpoint.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Many say it will be OK if they win a WS or own the market. These same folks lambasted the RS for similar contracts the RS have done in the past. Like JD who was here for a WS win.If the RS win a WS or two the next 6 years will CC's contract be worth it as he oerforms better than he did last year? Will the LAA be ham strung for future contracts because of the 30M. He did back load to allow wilso what about in 3 years?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Comparing this to DJ?  Really? 

Not to mention the Sox win the 07 WS with or without DJ.  Period.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The Angels will bank the entire amount of his contract...and the interest will pay Pujols salary as the years go by.  That's why they back load a contract like that.  The only place that it can come back to bite them is if they want to sign another big star and the Pujols contract takes them into the luxury tax area.  Right now they are not paying anymore in salary than the Sox and they have been making the playoffs without him...with him they will continue to draw large attendance numbers - something the Sox can't do because of the small ballpark which will take care of that investment and then some.  Attendance is what owners need to prosper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I believe TV Contract are worth far more

Attendence:  3 million fans X $100 each = 300 million per year

TV Network Subscription:  7 million households X $10/mo = 850 million per year

Of course, margins/expenses would be different for each revenue stream.  My guess is the TV is more profitable b/c it is less labor intensive plus there is no mortgage on a stadium.

(of course, these #'s are for large markets only)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Does it really matter what Albert will do 8-10 years from now? Do we really care that the Angels gave him to long a contract?
    I swear, you'd think there are a bunch of accountants on this forum the way the amount of money spent is discussed.
    In 8-10 years, it may take a million bucks to buy a loaf of bread. It's all relative.
    For the here and now, the Angels have got one hell of a ballplayer and a good shot at a title with he and Wilson.
    Good thing we only play them 10 times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : that all has merit JB but what's the $$ value in making the PO vs not making them I think I read once the yanks lost 30 mill in 08 for not making them IMO the difference between you & me and I think the owners is that you only look at the stats on the field and fail to acknowledge some guys sell more than others the yanks never broke 3 mill fans during the late 90's championship yrs not until they got arod Angels see 'unprecedented' spike in ticket sales http://www.ocregister.com/articles/angels-330869-pujols-team.html
    Posted by pinstripezac

The NYY drew 3.3M in 1999, and have broken 3M every year afterwards.

The unprecedented spike is 1,000 packages according to the article.  It doesn't say how many were full season packages and how many weren't, and how many they'd expect to sell anyway.

It's been my experience that only long-term winning increases attendance.  I seriously doubt anyone cares about ARod.  You won't continually increase attendance by signing player after player.  The newness just wears off.

In 2000, TX had 2.5M.  They acquired ARod, and attendance in 2001 was 2.8M, in 2002, it was 2.35.  In 2003, it was 2.1M.  In 2004, after they got rid of ARod, it was back up to 2.5M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Does it really matter what Albert will do 8-10 years from now? Do we really care that the Angels gave him to long a contract? I swear, you'd think there are a bunch of accountants on this forum the way the amount of money spent is discussed. In 8-10 years, it may take a million bucks to buy a loaf of bread. It's all relative. For the here and now, the Angels have got one hell of a ballplayer and a good shot at a title with he and Wilson. Good thing we only play them 10 times.
    Posted by Alibiike

Of course not everyone cares what Pujols gets paid, but some do.

It's why BDC allows us as many threads as we want.  Not everyone wants 6 threads about our #5 SP.

Like it or not, BB is a salary-driven sport.  So how much people get paid is pertinent.  For example, had we not signed CC and Jenks, we'd have another $26M to spend this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Angels did parlay the Pujols contract into a mega TV deal, so the economics of how to pay for Albert's big pay days are far more complicated than whether he puts more buts into the plastic seats.  That said, I am with Alibi here:  Who cares?  It really IS NOT our money. 

It will be interesting to have him in the AL.  Now every AL team has to face him, not just those who drew St. Louis as an NL rival.  And yes, it is a good thing the Sox will only have to face him 10 times during the regular season, and not 18.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Pujols will immediately make them a contended and will fill the stadium.  In the later part of the contract he will be chasing all the big records like Bonds and the TV ratings and attendance will still be through the ceiling.  I don't think any contract that high is wise money but it sure as heck isn't going to cost them much.  Especially once Wells, Hunter Abreau etc etc are off the books. 
    Pujols is chasing greatness.  He could retire now and be in conversation with some of the best ever.  He's a proven winner on two underdog teams and flat out mash. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What record does Bonds hold?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : Of course not everyone cares what Pujols gets paid, but some do. It's why BDC allows us as many threads as we want.  Not everyone wants 6 threads about our #5 SP. Like it or not, BB is a salary-driven sport.  So how much people get paid is pertinent.  For example, had we not signed CC and Jenks, we'd have another $26M to spend this year.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Yes JB, BB is economically driven, always has been but even more so than 50 years ago. It's a shame it's at the forefront instead of the love of the game.

True, that had we not given huge or unsubstantiated contracts, we would have some capital left to make the moves needed. But it's really a matter of the luxury threshhold isn't it? Redistribution of wealth has saturated this game and that is another detriment.
    Is BB too big to fail? Do we really need the parity that supposedly a balance of payroll is supposed to bring?
    I would prefer to let teams spent what they want or can afford and for the ones that can't, I blame their fanbase more than anything.
    If MLB wants more parity, I suggest that they look to make the media market
    fair to all teams. Limit those contracts and that income source, instead of player's salaries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

What record does Bonds hold?
    Posted by andrewmitch

ummmm, the most HRs in baseball history?

Regardless of whether he got them cleanly or not, the point was that he generated a lot of fan interest and media coverage going after Aaron's record. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Pujols is just another greedy S.O.B.

We heard so much about how he is loved in St. Louis and he is such a great guy , then he jumps ship at the first sign of big bucks being waved in front of his face.

I am not alone in hoping his numbers decline bigtime before he is halfway through the contract. This may teach these teams to overpay for fat cats who have past their prime.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts