Albert Pujols contract???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Albert Pujols contract???

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract???:
    In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : ummmm, the most HRs in baseball history? Regardless of whether he got them cleanly or not, the point was that he generated a lot of fan interest and media coverage going after Aaron's record. 
    Posted by parhunter1

Hank Aaron and Roger Marris hold the HR records for Career and Single Season

I refuse to acknowledge Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, A Rodriguez, and A Petitte's "records"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I suspected that was where you were coming from mitch.  But it doesn't change the fact that Bonds generated a lot of publicity/television coverage and fan interest NOT passing Aaron's record.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The NYY drew 3.3M in 1999, U R right JB I stand corrected I had bad info not sure what any of it means though does winning  or name brands draw more ? ironically they didn't go over 4 mill till 05 I guess everyone wanted to see the team that blew a 3-0 lead sox should draw well this yr ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac

No one goes to YS to see Tex play and no one goes to Fenway to see Gonzo or CC play.  A small market team will an uptick if they have an ace pitching every five days, but that's about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Pujols is just another greedy S.O.B. We heard so much about how he is loved in St. Louis and he is such a great guy , then he jumps ship at the first sign of big bucks being waved in front of his face. I am not alone in hoping his numbers decline bigtime before he is halfway through the contract. This may teach these teams to overpay for fat cats who have past their prime.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree with this. And seeing all the fans with their signs begging him to stay during the WS was unreal. Their team was in the WS, and that's what was on their minds. Apparently, he couldn't care less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : I agree with this. And seeing all the fans with their signs begging him to stay during the WS was unreal. Their team was in the WS, and that's what was on their minds. Apparently, he couldn't care less.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

It is an obscene contract one that makes little sense at the back end because of it's length (see Arod).

But have you ever been to St Louis or spent any time in that particular part of the US?

I am from and now live in the northeast but did work that part of the US extensively early in my career spending months there at a time, it's a nice area but I certainly would not want to make it my home not if I was offered a job in LA compensated to be able to live like royalty..

Southern California has the best weather in the entire country year round, The Pacific is right there, beautiful beaches great colleges, great entertainment and sports venues.

To be able to live there with enough wealth to buy whatever home in whatever area you desire for a father with a young family is, at the end of the day a choice for which AP has to only answer to his wife and family.

I'm sure in his decision making process he was torn between the best interests of his family and returning to the Cardinals.

A few million here and there probably was not the deciding factor. Jmo.

Players jump all the time, a crazy contract? Yes absolutely, but I don't hold the choice that he made against him, he did it because he could.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : Yes JB, BB is economically driven, always has been but even more so than 50 years ago. It's a shame it's at the forefront instead of the love of the game. True, that had we not given huge or unsubstantiated contracts, we would have some capital left to make the moves needed. But it's really a matter of the luxury threshhold isn't it? Redistribution of wealth has saturated this game and that is another detriment. Is BB too big to fail? Do we really need the parity that supposedly a balance of payroll is supposed to bring? I would prefer to let teams spent what they want or can afford and for the ones that can't, I blame their fanbase more than anything. If MLB wants more parity, I suggest that they look to make the media market fair to all teams. Limit those contracts and that income source, instead of player's salaries.
    Posted by Alibiike

Fans in KC or Pittsburg can only be more faithful in attending the games, they cannot change the size of the media market area in terms of households or population covered by a regional sports network. That is determined by demographics. The more people who watch a commercial during a game, the more the sponsors will pay. KC is in a sparsely populated area and its regional sports network just doesn't have the demographics to be as lucrative as the Yankees, Philadelphia, Texas, or LAA. MLB could draw up a territory that is smaller for certain Regional Sports Networks but they seem set on retaining the present boundaries that were delineated years ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm sure in his decision making process he was torn between the best interests of his family and returning to the Cardinals.

A few million here and there probably was not the deciding factor. Jmo.

Players jump all the time, a crazy contract? Yes absolutely, but I don't hold the choice that he made against him though. He did it because he could.

To be honest, I'm not sure StL even tried to sign him.  It had the Theo look to it, where they make an offer that sounds reasonable to the fans, but that they knew he wouldn't accept.  The $200M/8 they offered him was already too high, imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm sure in his decision making process he was torn between the best interests of his family and returning to the Cardinals. A few million here and there probably was not the deciding factor. Jmo. Players jump all the time, a crazy contract? Yes absolutely, but I don't hold the choice that he made against him though. He did it because he could. To be honest, I'm not sure StL even tried to sign him.  It had the Theo look to it, where they make an offer that sounds reasonable to the fans, but that they knew he wouldn't accept.  The $200M/8 they offered him was already too high, imo.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I can't argue with any of that Joe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes JB, BB is economically driven, always has been but even more so than 50 years ago. It's a shame it's at the forefront instead of the love of the game.

I saw Paul McCartney over the summer.  I'm quite certain he loves music, but it didn't stop him from charging an arm and a leg for his concert.

And I really like what I do for a living, but I am still going to charge as much as I can get away with.

I'm sincere with this, but if you want love of the game, go to the local little league games or HS games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I suspected that was where you were coming from mitch.  But it doesn't change the fact that Bonds generated a lot of publicity/television coverage and fan interest NOT passing Aaron's record.
    Posted by parhunter1

That's not the issue.  The issue is that he did not break the HR Record.

A lot of people watched Clemens, A Rodriguez and Pettite set so-called records too.  I certainly won't force them to pull their heads out of the sand.  The "Land of Make-Believe" is a wonderful place.  Just ask any yankee fan who still believes that Rivera actually got the save in G4 of the 2004 ALCS........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

JUST GLAD THAT OUR RED SOX WERE NOT INVOLVED.... LOOKS LIKE THE DAYS OF THEO & TIPPY TOO ARE IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR..... BEN C. & LUCCIANO's ARE DOING IT THE OTHER WAY, ON THE CHEAP & TRADES....NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill - is your brain shot from too many jumps off the Tobin Bridge? Theo did it both ways. Some offseasons he spent, others he didn't. Remember that offseason when payroll dropped and he (and Henry) were being blasted for not spending.

The Sox under Henry have always had a business plan that included spending to the limit of the luxury cap w/o going over it unless it was for good reason. To me, it's a smart way to run a team. You keep a sound business plan so the team remains financially strong and that will allow you to make the deals that can produce a winner. It's a tough balance to make because there are no guarantees when it comes to athletes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : Yes JB, BB is economically driven, always has been but even more so than 50 years ago. It's a shame it's at the forefront instead of the love of the game. True, that had we not given huge or unsubstantiated contracts, we would have some capital left to make the moves needed. But it's really a matter of the luxury threshhold isn't it? Redistribution of wealth has saturated this game and that is another detriment. Is BB too big to fail? Do we really need the parity that supposedly a balance of payroll is supposed to bring? I would prefer to let teams spent what they want or can afford and for the ones that can't, I blame their fanbase more than anything. If MLB wants more parity, I suggest that they look to make the media market fair to all teams. Limit those contracts and that income source, instead of player's salaries.
    Posted by Alibiike

This is idiotic. You want to limit income to owners but not to the players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : It is an obscene contract one that makes little sense at the back end because of it's length (see Arod). But have you ever been to St Louis or spent any time in that particular part of the US? I am from and now live in the northeast but did work that part of the US extensively early in my career spending months there at a time, it's a nice area but I certainly would not want to make it my home not if I was offered a job in LA compensated to be able to live like royalty.. Southern California has the best weather in the entire country year round, The Pacific is right there, beautiful beaches great colleges, great entertainment and sports venues. To be able to live there with enough wealth to buy whatever home in whatever area you desire for a father with a young family is, at the end of the day a choice for which AP has to only answer to his wife and family. I'm sure in his decision making process he was torn between the best interests of his family and returning to the Cardinals. A few million here and there probably was not the deciding factor. Jmo. Players jump all the time, a crazy contract? Yes absolutely, but I don't hold the choice that he made against him, he did it because he could.
    Posted by ThatWasMe

No. I have not spent any time there. And Pujols could probably have a house in every state if he really wanted to. I have a lot of family with homes in multiple states, and none of them are baseball players. I have multiple homes. So, let's not pretend he couldn't feed his family or provide good homes for them if he took a contract with SL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Pujols will find it just like any area, some good some not so. Some players at some point in their careers feel like the money they are making is obsence.  And of course, those of us who are fortunate also, usually don't have to have our incomes published on various lists and in the media. Suspect, very quickly most of these more practical and rationale athletes learn what most of the rest of us have learned, i.e. that money does not buy happiness, and that good health, particularly healthy children, relationships and respect are much much more important. As an aside, I think when players try to put the spin on their obsence Contracts saying "they have to feed their famil(ies), it is because either their agent or some spin doctor has suggested publicly saying that. Of course, teachers, police officers, firemen, sanitation engineers and sometimes, even the homeless etc., are trying to feed their famil(ies).  Anyway, Happy New Year! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Pujols will find it just like any area, some good some not so. Some players at some point in their careers feel like the money they are making is obsence.  And of course, those of us who are fortunate also, usually don't have to have our incomes published on various lists and in the media. Suspect, very quickly most of these more practical and rationale athletes learn what most of the rest of us have learned, i.e. that money does not buy happiness, and that good health, particularly healthy children, relationships and respect are much much more important. As an aside, I think when players try to put the spin on their obsence Contracts saying "they have to feed their famil(ies), it is because either their agent or some spin doctor has suggested publicly saying that. Of course, teachers, police officers, firemen, sanitation engineers and sometimes, even the homeless etc., are trying to feed their famil(ies).  Anyway, Happy New Year! 
    Posted by rgmfick

All true. Very well said. Happy New Year to you as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols contract??? : Hank Aaron and Roger Marris hold the HR records for Career and Single Season I refuse to acknowledge Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, A Rodriguez, and A Petitte's "records"
    Posted by andrewmitch

Babe Ruth holds the career and single season home run records.  I refuse to acknowledge Aaron's and Bonds' and other 162-game season, expansion-tainted "records".

Sections
Shortcuts