Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012???

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012???

The Red Sox can sign Pujols for what Ortiz and Papelbon made this year. They can shift J.D Drew's money toward the raises for Ellsbury, Bard and Gonzalez. Trade Youkilis for pitching and additional salary relief. In interleague games and/or the World Series, Gonzalez or Pujols can play RF, or Pujols can play 3B.

CF Ellsbury
    2B Pedroia
    1B/DH Gonzalez
    DH/1B Pujols
    C Lavarnway/Saltalamacchia
    LF Crawford
    RF Reddick/Kalish
    3B Middlebrooks/Aviles/Lowrie
    SS Scutaro/Iglesias/Aviles/Lowrie

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I really doubt the wisdom of paying big money for a first baseman, not to mention a DH.....even a left fielder.

I think you should invest the big money in the skill positions up the middle, and look for value among the flotsam and jetsam for the Yaz positions.....like (at different stages) Ortiz, Thome, Berkman....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

It's okay to overpay for premium players who will definitely produce. The problem arises when you pay big money to players with question marks. The Red Sox know exactly what they would be getting from Albert Pujols: 2 years of MVP-caliber performance, followed by 2 years of All-Star caliber performance, closed out by a few years of average play. The team, as currently constructed, is built to win now. Cherington needs to take advantage of Gonzalez in his prime and Ellsbury in the final 1-2 seasons of the Boston portion of his career. Beckett, Lester and Buccholz are likely only elite for a few more years as well. Try to win it all in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Don't take chances on players who may or may not perform well. Get the sure things. That's the advantage of being a big market team.

8 years/$27 million per year for Pujols probably gets it done. That's just under what Ortiz and Papelbon combined for this season.

J.D Drew made $15 million in 2011. Just about all of that goes to the increase in Gonzalez's salary.

Varitek, Wakefield, Wheeler and Scutaro combined for about $10 million in 2011. Half of that goes to the increase in Ellsbury's salary, the other half can go to pay increases for Aceves and Bard.

Find someone to absorb half of Youkilis' 2012 salary and send a solid reliever or two Boston's way. For example, Youkilis to Kansas City for Soria and Holland. Soria replaces Papelbon as closer, Holland becomes a reliable late-inning setup man.

Go with minimum salaried players at C (Lavarnway), SS (Iglesias), 3B (Middlebrooks) and RF (Reddick/Kalish/Linares). Depending on the budget, maybe let one, two or all three of Aviles, Scutaro, and Lowrie come back to platoon with the rookies. Saltalamacchia can split time with Lavarnway.

If the top half of the batting order is Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez and Pujols, plenty of runs will be generated. I'm optimistic that Lavarnway will be a solid No. 5 hitter too. 6-9 would possibly be a bit of an adventure, but Lowrie can hit lefties, and Aviles, Scutaro and Reddick are all solid. Kalish and Crawford would be exciting on the bases.

Sample 25-man roster:

1. C Ryan Lavarnway
    2. 1B Adrian Gonzalez
    3. 2B Dustin Pedroia
    4. SS Marco Scutaro
    5. 3B Mike Aviles
    6. LF Carl Crawford
    7. CF Jacoby Ellsbury
    8. RF Josh Reddick
    9. DH Albert Pujols

10. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    11. INF Jed Lowrie
    12. OF Ryan Kalish
    13. OF Juan Carlos Linares

14. SP Josh Beckett
    15. SP Jon Lester
    16. SP Clay Buchholz
    17. SP Chien-Ming Wang
    18. SP John Lackey

19. RP Joakim Soria
    20. RP Daniel Bard
    21. RP Greg Holland
    22. RP Alfredo Aceves
    23. RP Bobby Jenks
    24. RP Andrew Miller
    25. RP Matt Albers

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012???:
    [QUOTE]Could that happen--the Sox may be one of the few teams that could offer Albert an ARod like contract. With Drew, Papi, Tek and Wake coming off the books--you are looking at about $27 M, which it may take. You could then move AGon for a pitcher and positional players. Look at the St.Louis lineup--Pujols, Holliday, Berkman and Molina are surrounded by positional role players. Really the recognized names other than a few of their pitchers are those four. The Sox have Pedroia, Youk, AGon, CC, and Ellsbury--add Albert as a RH'd bat along with some good role players and you are back in business.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Let's see  .........

Pujols is a better than average 1st baseman not interested in being a DH.

What team is willing to take A-Gon's $154M salary for the next 7 years ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012???:
    [QUOTE]Only if they'd take Adrian Gonzales in a player for player swap.
    Posted by OurMan[/QUOTE]

Can't swap with Cards for a guy who is a FA. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

In Response to Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012???:
    [QUOTE]Could that happen--the Sox may be one of the few teams that could offer Albert an ARod like contract. With Drew, Papi, Tek and Wake coming off the books--you are looking at about $27 M, which it may take. You could then move AGon for a pitcher and positional players. Look at the St.Louis lineup--Pujols, Holliday, Berkman and Molina are surrounded by positional role players. Really the recognized names other than a few of their pitchers are those four. The Sox have Pedroia, Youk, AGon, CC, and Ellsbury--add Albert as a RH'd bat along with some good role players and you are back in business.
     Why would anyone even think of trading AGon.... Obviously didn't think this one out....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my guess is if this ever happened, bleacher seats will sell for 100 a pop

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Find someone to absorb half of Youkilis' 2012 salary and send a solid reliever or two Boston's way. For example, Youkilis to Kansas City for Soria and Holland. Soria replaces Papelbon as closer, Holland becomes a reliable late-inning setup man.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]
    Why would Kansas City want Kevin Youkilis, a declining player who turns 33 in March, when the Royals are already set at  1B/DH with 23-year-old Eric Hosmer and 25-year-old Billy Butler and have a better option than the defensively challenged Youkilis at 3B in 23-year-old Mike Moustakas?

Reliever Greg Holland is precisely the type of young, cost-controlled player the Royals need to keep.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Shorty I did think it out--even though we are less lefthanded with Ortiz out and Pujols in Gonzales would bring back the most in trade value--we still need a top of the rotation starter--perhaps that could be Carpenter, Matt Cain, Lincecum and a SS.
    If AGon could play another psoition I would suggect moving CC. Having Pujols and AGon in the middle of the lineup would be amazing.
    Soria is not the man--if we lose Pap we need Madson or Bell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Shorty I did think it out--even though we are less lefthanded with Ortiz out and Pujols in Gonzales would bring back the most in trade value--we still need a top of the rotation starter--perhaps that could be Carpenter, Matt Cain, Lincecum and a SS. If AGon could play another psoition I would suggect moving CC. Having Pujols and AGon in the middle of the lineup would be amazing. Soria is not the man--if we lose Pap we need Madson or Bell.

MadMc, are you sure you thought this out???

Why wouldn't the team, interested in trading for AGon and his $156 million contract, just focus on acquiring Pujols themselves, if as many here believe, he is the better player? Why would someone like the Cubs give up a boatload of talent for AGon when they can get Pujols for no additional player cost?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Albert Pujols playing 1b at Fenway in 2012??? :  Why would anyone even think of trading AGon.... Obviously didn't think this one out....
    Posted by JDShorty[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that the Red Sox would have acquired Gonzalez this year if they had any intentions of going after Pujols.  It will never happen. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Why do so many people suggest Middlebrooks "taking over at 3rd?"  Has he proven something at the major league level that I missed?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Middlebrooks has alot of potential. He had solid offensive numbers in the minors this year (.285/23/94) and is a good fielder. He is the Sox 3B of the future and some posters are trying to make the future now. He is not ready as evidenced by his 26 walks compared to 114 K's. He will play this season at Pawtucket and will be working on his plate discipline.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Why do so many people suggest Middlebrooks "taking over at 3rd?"  Has he proven something at the major league level that I missed?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Rushing a prospect is never a good thing to do.    Middlebrooks needs a full season at Pawtucket then maybe a look see in September to get him used to the major leagues.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

NO NO NO and.....NO

Listen I'm not going to make the argument that Pujols is better than A-Gon, because we all know where that is going....but is Pujols really about 140 million dollars better than AGON? because we would have to pay that much MORE for him.

Agon is costing us much less than (what i speculate) what Pujols will cost next year, and Pujols is marginally better.  Also Agon is a few years younger than Pujols...I like our firstbaseman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

To CT red sox fan from a ME red sox fan, that is a thread stopping argument--thank you.
    I hope we are able to find a strong righthanded bat in the off season in the system, trade or through free agency for a little more balance in the lineup. Perhaps Youk as the DH, Middlebrooks at third and Lavarnway every other game behind the plate, that may take care of itself.
    On Deck---if you haven't seen Middlebrooks yet go see him---he's going to be a good player. Maybe you're right he might need another year--he'll struggle but so did Pedroia.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

If you listened to Ben's press conference you know all you have with Pujols is a pipe dream as far as the Sox go.